Commissions Processing but Temp Offline?
    I made recent commissions with Spookshop.com that are indicated as "Processing."

I just noticed that Spookshop.com is "Temporarily Offline" -- how convenient for them!

What will happen to my processing sales? Is this a "cut bait" trick?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    IMO - Temporary Offline indicates an issue to service the commissions on future sales. Your past sales commissions earned already should be protected. That is my opinion. FWIW, I am a newbie to SAS - so take my comment with a grain of ....

ABW Ambassador
    "Last Commissionable Transaction through Affiliate: 10/27/2007 03:24.02 PM"

Does it mean we don't get commission from the sales we sent after 10/27? How can they sneak offline without any warning??

ABW Ambassador
    Daily merchants in ShareASale go offline and online as the funds dip below certain levels.

The last commissionable transaction recorded was "Last Commissionable Transaction through Affiliate: 10/27/2007 03:24.02 PM"

It may not be when the merchant when OFFLINE .. though likely that the last commissioned transaction and when the merchant went OFFLINE may have coincided.

ShareASale has an RSS feed of merchants going offline and online. You may want to access that and process on a daily basis.

That doesn't mean that they haven't been tracking since then, only that no affiliate has generated a sale since then.

Many SAS merchants are smaller merchants that may only generate a handful of sales a month with their current affiliates. Most have the potential to generate far more sales with the right affiliate site. I know I've had several where I'm generating dozens of sales per day that only had scattered sales before I started working with them.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Michael & redtagdeals for your reply. I do have SAS RSS feed set up and I'm trying to keep tracking on online and offlime merchants as frequent as possible, but still missed a few once in a while. I didn't notice Spookshop went offline until I read this thread.

Spookshop is a Halloween merchant. I don't know why would they went offline right before Halloween.

I could be wrong, and probably am.

I think when I merchant goes to temp offline, any traffic that you send ends up at a SAS "sorry" page. The merchant doesn't actually get the traffic to the site.

Unlike many other networks, SAS, requires payment for commissions upfront. The merchant deposits funds into an account with SAS. As sales/leads are made the amount of commission is immediately taken from the merchants account.

The only way an affiliate could lose out on a commission is if they send a customer to a merchant that doesn't buy immediately. The merchant runs out of money in the account, thereby being put into 'temp offline' status, and then the customer goes back to the merchant directly and makes a purchase within the cookie period. I don't know if that purchase would track or not, but I'd think it wouldn't.

Most likely if this merchants last transaction was 10-27, that would also be when they went temp offline and no traffic has been sent through to them since that date.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    The only way an affiliate could lose out on a commission is if they send a customer to a merchant that doesn't buy immediately. The merchant runs out of money in the account, thereby being put into 'temp offline' status, and then the customer goes back to the merchant directly and makes a purchase within the cookie period. I don't know if that purchase would track or not, but I'd think it wouldn't.
    That's exactly what I questioned about. It is simply not a fair timing to "go offline" while their cookie duration last for 120 days.

I would think (hope) that the merchant would still be responsible for tracking and paying on any sales that were made during this period and that adjustments are made when they are back online. Otherwise the affiliate is being penalized twice for the merchants inability to stay online and the merchant is benefiting from not keeping their payments at a level to cover commissions. Being offline, in my opinion, does not exclude them from their payment obligations.

I would really like a clarification from SaS on this issue.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

That's a good question. I suspect that it would track, since SAS does the online/offline checking at the time of the click, but I'm not positive.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    I would think (hope) that the merchant would still be responsible for tracking and paying on any sales that were made during this period and that adjustments are made when they are back online. Otherwise the affiliate is being penalized twice for the merchants inability to stay online and the merchant is benefiting from not keeping their payments at a level to cover commissions. Being offline, in my opinion, does not exclude them from their payment obligations.

I would really like a clarification from SaS on this issue.

-rematt
    What happens if the merchant never goes back online? While I agree it doesn't seem fair, I don't see how SAS can control this.

Presuming the tracking code is left in place by the merchant, you'd end up with transactions being tracked that were never being paid. Although I suppose SaS could take the account into a negative balance and if the merchant wants to go back online they must make up the negative balance.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

What happens if the merchant never goes back online? While I agree it doesn't seem fair, I don't see how SAS can control this.
    In this case we're probably SOL, even though SaS (or any network) could start collection proceedings against the merchant. They're not getting paid on those sales either at that point.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread