OOOPS! Sharper Image Terminations
    Did anyone else just get one of these, followed shortly by a welcome letter as they added everyone back in?

Dear <affiliate name>:

Our records indicate your affiliate account with The Sharper Image has had zero activity for over 2 years. As much as we would love to continue sending all our great offers to promote, we simply can¿t manage all 65,000 of you without cleaning up the database now and again.

With that said, we are temporarily removing your account from The Sharper Image affiliate program.

If you feel that you have received this message in error or would like some additional time in generating a sale, please email <affiliates at sharperimage.com> and we will re-instate you after the two week temporary period.
    Let me count the ways that this was totally messed up:

1) Terminating inactive affiliates is perhaps one of the worst things a merchant can do.
    2) Instead of terminating inactives, it appears that they terminated everyone (or at least some set of affiliates larger than just the inactives). I've had plenty of activity over the past 2 years.
    3) They're trivializing their affiliates. To them, it's "cleaning up the database". To affiliates, it's a termination.
    4) They picked the absolute worst time of the year to do it, heading into the Christmas shopping season.
    5) They didn't try any sort of activation campaigns. They're just going to let 65,000 affiliates go. What if even 1% could be turned into productive affiliates? That's 650 more producers. Why throw that away?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    This isn't the first time they've done this. I remember, maybe 2 years ago, getting a similar email from them and writing them back a "Huh? I've had sales" response.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

This seems to be the day for clueless merchants. Here's an appropriate response from another thread: Clueless Merchant . Maybe we need to come up with a standard merchant rejection form.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    That begs a question.

Is there a cost to the AM or Merchant or OPM of keeping dead beat affiliates?. Why do merchants do this clean up .. there may be reasons that I do not understand. Or are they simply CLUELESS?

Do networks charge merchants based on number of affiliates or number of emails they send or something that makes a merchant feel they are wasting money keeping an affiliate on board. I would like to understand this from the perspective of an AM / OPM / Merchant .. Any comments please!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redtagdeals
    ... dead beat affiliates...
    Bad choice of terms. Maybe you should rephrase that.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Some networks charge based on the number of newsletters sent. As far as I know, that's the only direct cost associated with inactive affiliates, and it's miniscule. Also, the merchant interfaces at some networks are slower when they have more affiliates. There's quite a bit of discussion of it in the Merchant Best Practices forum (and elsewhere here on ABW).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

All most advertisers have to do with me is show me how they appreciate my efforts and I then increase focus on their campaigns. It's not that I have not wanted to promote them, but if they think the list of affiliates is big, how about the affiliate's list of advertisers? They need to cut the affiliates a break and just offer something to them that puts them at the top of the affiliate's to-do list. Who was it that said about catching flies with sugar? This email is definitely not "sugar".

-sfcom

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Bad choice of terms. Maybe you should rephrase that.
    I agree with what you said .. If I could rephrase, I would say something like a merchants non-performing affiliates or something softer

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    There's quite a bit of discussion of it in the Merchant Best Practices forum (and elsewhere here on ABW).
    Looks like I have some more reading on ABW left to do

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Did anyone else just get one of these, followed shortly by a welcome letter as they added everyone back in?

Let me count the ways that this was totally messed up:

1) Terminating inactive affiliates is perhaps one of the worst things a merchant can do.
    2) Instead of terminating inactives, it appears that they terminated everyone (or at least some set of affiliates larger than just the inactives). I've had plenty of activity over the past 2 years.
    3) They're trivializing their affiliates. To them, it's "cleaning up the database". To affiliates, it's a termination.
    4) They picked the absolute worst time of the year to do it, heading into the Christmas shopping season.
    5) They didn't try any sort of activation campaigns. They're just going to let 65,000 affiliates go. What if even 1% could be turned into productive affiliates? That's 650 more producers. Why throw that away?
    They have the brand, and they aren't worried about how "many" affiliates they have, so they probably think differently than we small merchants do. Now before you jump up on a soap box and tell me how that's not right, no need. I'm simply offering an observation that I've seen applied by some of the household name - big brands over the years both offline and online.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Pity they don't terminate uPromise, whom they so blatantly promote on their home page

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread