Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    iPhone, lookout...Google Phone in the Works (Update - Launches Soon)
    Google in talks with Verizon on mobile push: WSJ
    By John Letzing
    Oct 30, 2007 17:55:00 (ET)

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Google Inc. is in discussions with Verizon Wireless to bring cell phones to market customized for Google's software, according to a report Tuesday in the online edition of The Wall Street Journal.

Google (GOOG, Trade ) is in "serious discussions" with Verizon (VZ, Trade ) to bring phones to market on Verizon's network that contain Google operating system software and applications, the report said.

Google is expected to make an announcement related to its mobile plans in the next two weeks and hopes to have customized phones on the market by the middle of next year, the report said.

Verizon may see Google-powered phones as a means to better compete with rival AT&T Inc. (T, Trade ), which offers Apple Inc.'s popular iPhone, the report said.

In addition, the report said, Verizon might see the move as economically attractive, as Google would likely charge licensing fees for its software that are lower than the industry standard.

A partnership between Google and Verizon would be surprising, as the two companies have argued publicly over the use of wireless spectrum and cell-phone services.

Google has pressed the Federal Communications Commission to make a portion of valuable spectrum up for auction in January open to devices and applications outside of those offered by the spectrum's owner. Verizon meanwhile has argued against the move and has sued the FCC to prevent it.

Verizon, however, recently dropped that lawsuit. A Verizon spokesman said that the dropping of the suit and any talks with Google are unrelated, according to the report.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Yep, no doubt about it. Google phone is coming. This post goes hand in hand with one I posted a while back.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...+phones+google
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    I'm ready for a GooPhone.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Back then, Google was just exploring bandwidth options...now it's exploring partnerships...it's soooo close, I can't wait to see what happens! I think such a move would really give mobile marketing the kick in the arse it needs to really get going.

I *heart* m-commerce!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Why verizon???? Well besides the market share.

They are a dying breed with their CDMA technology / network. Although CDMA transfer speed is higher than GSM, you can't take your phone and travel to another country and/or moving from one network to another with your cell phone is much tougher.

Hmmm there are reports that there are already G phones being used.

I don't see why Google has to go partners with anyone. They should just buy Verizon outright.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    both my apple and google stock are screaming, have made a ton in the last 2 months.

together, competing, i think they're going to really shake up the phone industry and a lot more.

google phone won't compete with the iphone but the touch I got will

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    Back then, Google was just exploring bandwidth options...now it's exploring partnerships...it's soooo close, I can't wait to see what happens! I think such a move would really give mobile marketing the kick in the arse it needs to really get going
    Oh Yeah, how sweet it will be and how wide they will blow the doors open!! I'd bet G has been carrying on dialogue with prospective partners for a long time, and in the meantime the iPhone was unveiled. Strategic product positioning / timing / resources. Heck, I may even contact G and offer to sell them the bandwidth we have!! LOL
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

and their stock keeps going up and up.

ABW Ambassador
    A ‘Dream’ Come True: U.S. Approves the First Google Phone

The F.C.C. posted certification documentation on its Web site. The documents confirm is the name of the new Dream. Most important, though: with the smartphone’s certification behind it, it is possible for T-Mobile, the nation’s No. 4 wireless carrier, to go ahead with plans to debut the phone next month and begin selling it ahead of the Christmas shopping season.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...ref=technology

This will be fun to watch. Iphone vs. Google Dream Phone. Two heavyweights going at it.

Hopefully it is a GSM tri-band or quad-band otherwise it is useless for me.

Looked up the model number on FTC site and found http://www.drea100.com/
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

why would a phone based on Google software and full of ads be competition for the iPhone.

If anything the Sprint Instinct by Samsung is more competition and the millions already sold by Sprint proves that.

Hardwaregeek

I would take a google phone with ads before I would own an apple product but thats just me.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    why would a phone based on Google software and full of ads be competition for the iPhone.

If anything the Sprint Instinct by Samsung is more competition and the millions already sold by Sprint proves that.
    Well, would actually have to wait till it comes out and people try it out, see the finished product. They do have very strong branding. They know who their competition is and have the money and the people to put up something that can compete. Time will tell.

ABW Ambassador
    G is evil therefore so is their phone

ABW Ambassador Stephanie Lichtenstein's Avatar
    Google phone sounds cool especially since apple made it such a pain in the you know where for me to get the iPhone.
    @MicroSteph | Stephanie Lichtenstein
    President of Micro Media Marketing
    Outsourced Social Media Management
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

Outsourced Program Manager Rufus's Avatar
    I have to say I’m not normally a Apple product kind of guy (I even avoided the iPod for years sticking to Sony brands) but I just got an iphone as a gift and I’m well impressed with it lots of cool features and function.

With the Google phone though I’m not sure, I mean Google is free software and as a search engine there great (personally my favorite easy to read / view results and all that) but would you want that type of soft ware on a phone that cost what 200-400 dollar, if they’re giving the phone away then I’d think about it but otherwise I wouldn't want a Google phone (even the Microsoft software would be better in my opinion).
    Rufus Bazley,
    [URL=http://www.odst.co.uk]DataFeed and API Creation[/URL]
    [URL=http://jobon.info]Marketing Site[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.compare-treadmills.co.uk]Treadmill Reviews[/URL]

Google Android OS Phone Demo
    Well, I'm sold! With it's integrated Google capabilities, this will be a boon for those of us who live in Google everyday.

X

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Looked up the model number on FTC site and found http://www.drea100.com/
    I was wondering what happened to the "m" drea100 is not the best domain. But dream100.com is some radio station or something. Figured they would have just bought it out. I'm sure they'll come up with something better.

That site doesn't look like a Google type site, the layout, design, Adwords ads on the bottom. Saw this one - http://htcdream.com/

Going to check who owns them. After checking whois, doesn't like like Google owned domains. So don't think they have an official site up yet for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Google Android OS Phone Demo
    Well, I'm sold! With it's integrated Google capabilities, this will be a boon for those of us who live in Google everyday.
    I'm sure liking what I see so far. I wonder why T-Mobile though.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

did you hear the great news about this great piece of crap you are all looking forward too. It won't have bluetooth and a bunch of other features google promised. Yay can't wait!!!

ABW Ambassador
    T-Mobile Android-powered phone to launch September 23rd

http://www.google-phone.com/

Or end of October actually:

"Availability is expected by the end of October, though we’ll know for sure come September 23rd. The G1 will be presented by both Google and T-Mobile, so be sure to point your browser to live.androidcommunity.com at 10:30 EDT for the breaking news as it happens. "

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected...lgoogle117.xml

Actually nothing really new as far as news since last time this thread was updated: "the nation’s No. 4 wireless carrier, to go ahead with plans to debut the phone next month (this month) and begin selling it ahead of the Christmas shopping season." (October it looks like)

http://venturebeat.com/2008/09/16/fi...ing-next-year/

According to this, it ships October 13th and is in stores October 17th. Also, toward the bottom of the article it shows projected units shipping around 600k-700k. Who knows if that is first week, first month or what. They left that important detail out.

Is it really just going to be called "G1"? That is quite plain.

-sfcom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast