Google OpenSocial - An Application Platform for Social Networks
    Exciting News!

Google is offering an application platform similar to Facebook's, but with a twist. It can work with any social network. They're launching with support for LinkedIn, Ning, Friendster, Orkut, Hi5 and some others. So not only will we be able to port our apps over to all these social networks, but we can let our registered users play with apps on our sites.

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/10/30...g-social-apps/
    http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...opensocial.php

Fun stuff.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I'm having a hard time getting my head around it.

The way I understand it, the api will basically allow any developer to tap into the google meta social network.

Anyone with an account there (via another social app that uses it) automatically has an account in my social app. Their contact info, 'friends', and news events are available in my app and any app that uses this google API.

pretty cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sjangro
    I'm having a hard time getting my head around it.

The way I understand it, the api will basically allow any developer to tap into the google meta social network.

Anyone with an account there (via another social app that uses it) automatically has an account in my social app. Their contact info, 'friends', and news events are available in my app and any app that uses this google API.

pretty cool stuff.
    Exactly. Makes Facebook's 40-50 million registered user base look small. How many Gmail, LinkedIn, and Friendster users will now have access to our apps? And how many of their friends will learn about our apps from the comfort of their favorite social network.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    And how many of their friends will learn about our apps from the comfort of their favorite social network.
    What apps people use may be available via the api, but do you think that the app developers are going to diaplay them?

That cross-promotion is what facebook offers in their single platform.

The way I'm picturing OpenSocial, there's no common user "profile" that shows apps and their equivalent of facebook's profile box. I guess that remains to be seen. Hopefully tomorrow.

Hopefully this is the end of facebook

What apps people use may be available via the api, but do you think that the app developers are going to diaplay them?

That cross-promotion is what facebook offers in their single platform.

The way I'm picturing OpenSocial, there's no common user "profile" that shows apps and their equivalent of facebook's profile box. I guess that remains to be seen. Hopefully tomorrow.
    What I mean is users can invite their friends to try our apps from within just about any social network.

As for the profiles, I think users should be able to choose what apps to show on their Orkut, Friendster, LinkedIn, etc. profiles individually.

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Hopefully this is the end of facebook
    I think not, Facebook is here to stay. Now get poking.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    What I mean is users can invite their friends to try our apps from within just about any social network.

As for the profiles, I think users should be able to choose what apps to show on their Orkut, Friendster, LinkedIn, etc. profiles individually.
    You're thinking about this in a Facebook paradigm. Maybe you're right, but I don't know, I just don't see Friendster allowing my app to appear on their site.

Time will tell.

You're thinking about this in a Facebook paradigm. Maybe you're right, but I don't know, I just don't see Friendster allowing my app to appear on their site.

Time will tell.
    I would think each app will need to be approved individually by each network. They did say there will be canvas pages, so I'm hoping it works in much the same way the FB platform does.

- Scott

>>They did say there will be canvas pages, so I'm hoping it works in much the same way the FB platform does.

I missed that. That would be cool.

>> I would think each app will need to be approved individually by each network.

approval could be a kiss of death, depending on how it's implemented.

Facebook apps require no approval to appear in a profile which is what has contributed in a big way to the success of F8. And they're very liberal in approving apps in their directory

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    [cynicism] Google is probably trying to get data in order to release some sort of uber social-networking site that'll kill all the other ones. They'll be watching to see which apps are popular, and which sites they're popular on--so they know what to 1) integrate into their own site.

And, of course, once they openly reach for that goal, it'll become a bannable offense for webmasters to link to/support anything other than The Mountain View Network. [/cynicism]

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    [cynicism] Google is probably trying to get data in order to release some sort of uber social-networking site that'll kill all the other ones. They'll be watching to see which apps are popular, and which sites they're popular on--so they know what to 1) integrate into their own site.

And, of course, once they openly reach for that goal, it'll become a bannable offense for webmasters to link to/support anything other than The Mountain View Network. [/cynicism]
    hehe...

Google:: The uber-delish data mining machine.
    Mission: Gobble up the world.

The best data is more data.

All ur data belong to us!

Bite me!

Launch all Yahoo for Great Justice!
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Now here's my question....

Will this end in competition or cooperation? It seems to me that though this system was created specifically to compete with Facebook in some senses (or to stick it to them for having a closed system), Facebook would be pretty smart to get on board. It seems like there isn't much to lose, really.

Thoughts?
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Myspace is in...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2211062,00.asp

Still haven't seen any official docs from google.

Outsourced Program Manager

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    face what?

You've been notably (overtly, even) absent from Facebook, Donuts.

I'm curious, do you participate and/or belong to any social networks?

Outsourced Program Manager DaveAMWSO's Avatar
    Correct me if I'm wrong (Jangro you're the technical one) but I don't believe these APIs allow for sharing of profile information between the various participants. For example I cannot bite my Hi5 friend from my Myspace Zombie application.

I believe at this point it's really just a boon for developers, write once run everywhere type of set-up. Maybe the profile sharing stuff will come later.

As a user, there's nothing here yet that would really entice me to stop using Facebook (if I'm a happy Facebook user). However it should make the other services more appealing now since they should theoretically have a tidal wave of apps being written for them now.

Also, interesting to note that Oracle and Salesforce have joined up, so perhaps we'll be getting some more business oriented apps soon. I wrote up some more thoughts on what this could mean for affiliates on the AMWSO blog.
    [B]Dave Oliver[/B] - AMWSO Affiliate Program Management Team
    [URL=http://www.amwso.com]www.amwso.com[/URL] | dave [at] amwso.com | AIM: DaveOliPM | Twitter: [URL=https://twitter.com/daveolipm]@daveolipm[/URL] |
    Programs: [URL=http://www.amwso.com/artoftea.php] Art of Tea[/URL] | [URL=http://www.amwso.net/affiliatet/eachbuyer-affiliate-program/]Eachbuyer[/URL] | [URL=https://www.facebook.com/amwso]AMWSO FB[/URL]

http and a telephoto
    They have an impressive list of participating networks, as Dave noted, it was surprising to see Salesforce on the list. I don't see them as a social network unless something changed, they were a contact management system. Wll see what the buzz is this week at the conferences, both should have people that are pretty interested in where this is going.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

So I've been reading the docs and trying to figure this thing out but it's not as easy as developing an app for Facebook. There are crucial parts that are missing like a server-side API but that's apparently coming soon. Currently we can only use Javascript to access the social data and I'm not sure I want to take that route. I'm also a bit unclear on how to create a canvas page. I believe I need to get approved for the Orkut sandbox, so we'll see what happens with that. I wish they'd done a better job out of the gate, but I'm sure it'll get refined as we progress.

- Scott

So I got my Orkut Sandbox account and had a brief look at what's available. It definitely looks promising and is very similar to the Facebook platform. There is one major problem though, the authentication is all done via Javascript. So users can essentially impersonate a user to send data on their behalf. I really don't know why Google released it with this huge gaping hole, but they did say they'll be releasing a REST API soon. Hopefully that corrects this problem.

- Scott

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread