Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I'm wondering how anyone would react to an email from a "partner" such as the exerpt that follows:

quote:
    We are reviewing our publishers and will be reducing the number of publishers in our program to assist us in focusing on the publishers who are active in the program. As we want to have open communication, here is an overview.

As of Oct. 31, 2002, all publishers who have sent 0 visitors (clicks) to our site this year will be dropped. (01/01/2002 - 10/31/2002) These publishers are welcome to resubmit their account for our program. We do expect to do this on either a quarterly or semi-annual basis.

Mr. Cyclone

Can you tell us a bit about the umm..."rewards" program that you are promoting?

In the CJ mail system, only merchants have the ability to quote in replies. Not sure why.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Can you tell us a bit about the umm..."rewards" program that you are promoting?

Excuse me? There is NO rewards program or anything so much as resembling one mentioned here. You sir, are extremely misleading yourself, and possibly others, in thinking what I posted as some sort of spam?

Reread it . . . for what it IS, NOT for what your suspicious mind thinks it is.

It is an exerpt from an unnamed merchant I received this afternoon and I am asking what you think and how you would react if your "partner" were to send you a similar letter.

ABW Ambassador
    Cyclone posted this merchant mail:

quote:
    We are reviewing our publishers and will be reducing the number of publishers in our program to assist us in focusing on the publishers who are active in the program. As we want to have open communication, here is an overview.

As of Oct. 31, 2002, all publishers who have sent 0 visitors (clicks) to our site this year will be dropped. (01/01/2002 - 10/31/2002) These publishers are welcome to resubmit their account for our program. We do expect to do this on either a quarterly or semi-annual basis.

I would cheer! I think every affiliate who doesn't get active in a year should be eliminated from a program.

If a site doesn't send a single click in a reasonable amount of time then why bother?

If I were an affiliate I would cheer as well. This merchant is protecting a serious affiliate's interests by clearing out the deadwood so more attention can be put to them. They are also being totally open and diplomatic about it.

Any serious affiliate should welcome "culling" or partner purging as it is called. It means less competition and more resources for those who can meet some minimum criteria. Generating one click is criteria that anyone can meet, no matter how small.

best,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.
    http://www.afftrack.com
    http://www.revtrends.com
    Advanced & Automated Data Analysis for Performance Marketers.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I agree with Waynes viewpoint. The reverse logic also works. I should send the merchant a bill for 50.00 along with a "purging merchant" note stating I sent them over 1000 clicks without a sale over the last year.

Wayne in a perfect world you can't send 1843 shoppers to Walmart without getting credit for a single sale this year. But the world isn't perfect.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Mike if you actually want to generate revenue from EcomCity I am happy to give you some expert advice.

Cut every single merchant that doesn't convert at least 1% of your traffic. So after 100 and no sales- lose them and don't look back.

Every poor performer you keep effectively doubles the damage to your bottom line.

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.

I had a similar situation happen today with "Low Cost Lending".

They dropped me from their program.

I don't know why?

I promote them on 3 different domains that are all about home loans. I also promote them on about 17 other ns which are about other financial subjects. their conversion ratio has been low so far but then again I have not gon e all-out in promoting them.

I want to just say....buh - bye.. BUTT.. eye pheel that they should know about the mistake they are obviously making......

Shit.......I hate wasting time on all this but I guess it must be done...... IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL IF CERTAIN MERCHANTS REALIZED THAT IT COSTS THEM Nothing...............at...........all TO KEEP AND HOLD PARTNERS UNTIL THE TIME IN WHICH THEY DECIDE TO BECOME ACTIVE RECRUITERS, PROMOTERS AND TRUE AFFILIATE PARTNERS!!!!!!!

If we don't get some kool rules ourselves...... pronto........ then we'll just be bogus too.. ~Jeff Spicoli~

Thanks for the advice Wayne. I kind of experiment with merchants who have trustworthy looking sites to see if they convert the traffic. Problem is the effort to generate 100 clicks a day to them to see if they do convert. If those product merchants I showcase start playing with the Dupers amd parasites I can immediately see their conversion ratios plummet.

I only make 900-1200 per month, but don't advertise at all in the PPC search engines so my only expense besides my time is the 20.00/per domain to host. Folks like Tigerdirect get 150 clicks per day from me cause I know they report all sales. Just a part timer at this basically seeing what sells and why ..to pass on to my web site clients for maintenance & upgrade fees.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks all. I especially liked the view from Wayne's world. I had thought similarly in that less affiliates meant more opportunity for me when promotions are pushed.

But on the flip side, a merchant randomly mailing this out, and never having communicated with their affiliates, leaves a lot to be desired too. I'd like to drop them just in that case alone. I've built up substantial individual product links and don't even know if the merchant has ever visited my site.

To mass-mail this critter as stated is a cold-hearted maneuver to me. And, even if I was making money with them I'm considering dropping them for just the way they're going about it.

ABW Ambassador
    Cyclone,

On the issue of purges: Purges are good! Everyone has heard of the 98/2 rule. Well if you get rid of all the non-performers or people who don't even bother to setup a link then that ratio gets better. People who signup and don't do anything in a WHOLE YEAR make affiliate marketers look bad, not serious and not pros. Pros find the relationships they want, avoid the ones they don't, and act quickly to capitalize.

This is your opportunity to educate, educate, educate. For every problem, mistake or negative it can be turned into a win. Just as a good company that has an unhappy customer can turn them into a more satisfied customer by fixing the problem and understanding their feelings.

Being a professional means not getting shaken easily or dropping a relationship over an e-mail that you found poor. Tell them how the communication alienated you and suggest positive ways they could have communicated. Anyone can complain- few can offer good solutions. It could be a great way to get closer to the merchant and in the future strike better deals.

Merchants are not your enemies- they are your revenue allies. Seek to understand why they did it, and let them know you understand and then communicate calmly and professionally why it didn't get perceived the way they felt it should have. And be patient, a busy program can generate a lot of mail and many managers have other duties.

If they totally ignore then write them off and don't waste any more energy even being angry about it. That energy could be translated into revenue for you.

best,
    Wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.

"As of Oct. 31, 2002, all publishers who have sent 0 visitors (clicks) to our site this year will be dropped. (01/01/2002 - 10/31/2002)"

Makes sense to me except they should've backed off the end-date by a few months. If somebody signs up on October 30th, if they haven't sent a visitor by the next day they get dropped.

Something like no visitors by June 30th and you're dropped Sept 30th.

OK, lets say an affiliate sends targeted traffic to a merchant but gets no sales. When do you pull the plug? How many no sale clicks before the affiliate should cut the merchant?

Wayne, you said “after 100 and no sales- lose them and don't look back.” That seems a bit low to me. Are there circumstances where you would give them more rope?

Selma

ABW Ambassador
    Selma,

1 in 100 is a quick and dirty guide. It depends on the merchant and products.

-wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Makes sense to me to purge, but it is not something I get excited and cheer about. It's really not much of a drain on resources.

quote:
    If those product merchants I showcase start playing with the Dupers amd parasites I can immediately see their conversion ratios plummet.

The reverse is also true. It is remarkable how some seemingly pathetic merchants' stats turn around when they drop the parasites.

I think I have a few CJ merchants that I've just forgotten to do anything with.

The bottom line is that there's no loss to anybody and if it makes looking after the affiliate program easier then it will allow more time to concentrate on affiliates generating traffic.

However, some merchants will also drop you if you don't make enough sales. Like a lot of other AMs I have merchants with 1000+ visitors and no sales. And if you've built a site around a particular merchant's product range you end up royally stuffed.

Меня зовут Динаму

ABW Ambassador
    Finally I agree with Wayne (almost).

My take is this if I have a program that is not converting it is for one of two reasons:

*) The reporting of sales is manipulated
    *) My users don;t like them or the site stinks.

If you leave them on the site you're doing one of two things:

1) wasting your users time
    2) letting the non performers suck off potential sales from your other merchants.

I view 0 day cookies in the same way. Why do I even want my customers to have an option of seeing something that will make them wait a day or so to make a decision and buy and then I lose what may have been a sale on my other merchants.

Drop the 0 day cookie merchants and you'll not have fewer sales - you can actually see more! I I guess not to many people think this way though.

ABW Ambassador
    @Wayne

I would not be convinced the purge approach is the best route. A proactive AM would much rather light a fire under a "sleeper" affiliate.

Maybe I have a merchant in the pool to add soon. Sending me an email letting me know that you are dropping me may or may not move you out of that pool. On the other hand, sending me an email (this also can be generic form letter) to inactive affilites asking what they need to do to get on your site, is another approach. Active and interested affiliates can and should respond to this type of communication. This will seperate your active affiliates that plan to respond to your brand, from the affiliates that do not plan to promote your site for whatever reason they see fit.

So, would you rather be proactive and try to light a fire under a few sleeper, high performers?

Or, would you react to inactivity, and lose them for sure?

IamJaloppy

Cut the dead wood and say goodbye. With one exception - if the AM knows of so called sleepers that are capable of bringing in business, it may be of benefit to contact them to try to get them active.

I wonder though, how many really would turn around and start doing something. If it is a "sleeper" affiliate that is a performer, then they will have a good reason for not promoting the merchant in question. That brings me back to square one...

Cut the dead wood and say goodbye - and for all the reasons Wayne mentions.

Fred

In an effort to watch your cholesterol, you eat Spam Lite.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by buy_online:
    Cut the dead wood and say goodbye. With one exception - if the AM knows of so called sleepers that are capable of bringing in business, it may be of benefit to contact them to try to get them active.

If an affiliate is a sleeper, how will the AM be aware of them? That is the exception put forward in my original post. Research, tenacity, and some proactive emails will help sort them out.

I do not pretend to know why affilates promote and give prime space to certain merchants. Spin the wheel? Draw out of a hat? I do not know. At the same time, many affilates have different reasons for not activating a merchant. They could range from parasite partnerships, to my dog is sick and I had to take him to the vet.

My stance is search for them first. Do you know the next Super Affiliate? I do not. But as a merchant, I would like to partner with them when they start out, so the relationship is built from the beginning. That way, I already know who they are, I work with the top people, and we both make money.

IamJaloppy

I always wonder why AM's send these types of "we're dropping you messages".

Dropping inactive affiliates may improve the merchant's EPC (and all those other feel-good statistics), however, it does not really have any impact on the bottom-line for the merchant in terms of improving affiliate sales.

The marginal cost of keeping a sleeper affiliate is relatively low compared to the potential value of having that affiliate as an affiliate of the merchant.

When I sign up under a merchant as an affiliate, I sign up for a reason -- something interested me to click the join button. If I subsequently do not build links for that merchant within a reasonable time, it is usually because I am giving higher priority to another merchant who is offering something better, be it better creative, product variety, commission rate, cookie duration, communication with affiliates, etc.

If a merchant is concerned about their non-performing affiliates, rather than kick them out, the affiliate manager should write to those affiliates and find out what they need in order to make the merchant a higher priority on the affiliate's to-do list. For example, the affiliate manager should look at what they can do to improve any of the following areas: offering better creative, product variety, commission rate, cookie duration, improving communication, etc.

Dropping the affiliate usually gets the affiliate's attention -- and sends them to the competition where they are more welcome.

Yours truly,
    Cusimano.Com Corporation

per: David Cusimano

Affiliate scripts for amazon.com, allposters.com, gocollect.com, and more

I have to agree with you dave. I have over 200 merchants who still get traffic from me who have never recorded a sale in 12 months. Soome I've had up for 3 or 4 years and never once did I hear from their affiliate manager. These are advertisers folks and a form letter to all their under performing affiliates to them a total of 5 minutes to generate. Those AM's spend 95% of their time talking with the Dupers and parasites and the networks on how to autofeed them "incent" offers.

I feel like screaming every time I see a AM post their damn limited time coupons deals seem to be just converting fine and don't know why my 1500 clicks from individual product links -banners and pre-sell text have produced squatt. Weel some of those old EcomCity grandfathered merchants are about to see they aren't going to get 5 million annual impressions from my work without a paycheck.

WebMaster Mike

quote:
    to understand why they did it

I don't understand it at all. It costs a merchant nothing to have an inactive affiliate. I know I have gone back and added pages for a merchant months after joining just because I saw them on my merchant list and remembered the reason I applied. Hey, they weren't a number one priority at the time. But, I had something in mind for them and finally got to it. What's the big deal with having them sit there?

I think more to the point is that I am going to go through and eliminate all merchants who had 300 clicks last year but who sold nothing. If I got the people to their site and they lost the sale, the prospect might have gone to a better site and bought something. They are wasting my traffic.

Non-converting merchants DO cost me money. There is a lost sales opportunity. Inactive affiliates cost a merchant nothing but the door is open for the affiliate to become active.

I am glad this topic came up. I am going to do some house keeping. I will get rid of those idiots who are playing me for branding or are using things such as 800 numbers to steal from me.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

[This message was edited by SSanf on October 18, 2002 at 06:35 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    The majority of inactive affiliates never activate, not matter how many times you mail them. Removing inactive affiliates does NOT improve EPC. It does improve the size of a base and make it more manageable. It also makes it more exclusive for serious partners.

Any affiliate that does not send a click in a year has no business being in the relationship.
    Remove them. Thknk about it- one click in on year, meaning only those that didn't even bother to test the link are being removed. No loss there.

Likewise for merchants. You set a target EPC for merchants and those that do not make it- drop them. Very simple and don't feel guiltly.

This should have nothing to do with someone's feelings, but good sound business decisions.

-wayne

Wayne Porter
    V.P. Product Development
    AffTrack LLC.

ABW Ambassador
    @Wayne

If you missed my posts on the previous page, please look at them. I have nothing against purging dormant affiliates. I do have a problem with merchants that purge without thought to these "sleepers." It is the difference in setting this potentially new sleeper up for success, or dropping him from the program.

IamJaloppy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast