This month marks a milestone in that my monthly affiliate income will just about match my "day job" salary. I only put about 6 hours a week into my web sites, so I know I could do much better if I committed to it full-time.

But I also really enjoy my "day job." I fly all over Europe, meet cool people, and would really miss being with other people for most of the day.

How do those of you who do affiliate sites full-time fill the need to be with other people? Working in my PJ's sounds fun, but I know I am a "people person" and would go crazy without some human interaction every day. Anyone take up a part-time job, or do volunteer work to fill the void?

L4

Personal motto - In every situation, leave someone or something better than you found it.

ABW Ambassador
    I miss it. I miss the watercooler, etc...the interaction with other humans... the motivation and drive to get a shower and dressed before 1pm or so... course I worked at a pretty cool place where we hung out, drank beer, made lewd comments, drank beer, played foosball, pinball, ps2, watched downloaded movies, looked at pr0n, drank beer, etc most of the day, but... I miss even the aspects of a traditional job, like I said earlier, just the interaction with other humans for a good portion of the day.... chit chat etc.. going to lunch every day... the problem solving.. competition.. etc. I still meet for lunch and keep up with a bunch of the people I used to work with, but, well, as people's lives change that becomes harder and harder, and, well its just not the same.

I'm not sure what the long term ramifications will be. Work in my field and in the area I am in is tight, but I am actually looking (not very hard). I can (at least until things change, and I think they will) survive on this, but, well I can also continue to do this while at "work" anyway, and probably actually be more productive, since I'm more in a "work mode". I think all of these people so eager to quit their "real jobs" are, well dumb, but, to each their own. In some cases it makes sense, but, I hope they consider it carefully. Of course, I'm not making what some of these people are, either. I guess if I was doing 7 figures like some, I'd be less likely to consider work.

Now, what field is it that you are in that you get to fly all over Europe, and, where can I sign up?

...sorry for rambling...

Did I mention I miss some of the social aspects of a "real job" ?

[This message was edited by Joseph Monuit on March 18, 2003 at 05:41 AM.]

Joseph: Were you in the Canadian military?

Joseph,

Sounds like you worked at MTV Online when I was there (3 years ago or so). What a place that was!

Today I'm an internal consultant with a large consulting firm helping coordinate its European IT efforts. Lots of travel, lots of long hours - but I still find time for my web sites from hotel rooms and on the weekend.

L4

Personal motto - In every situation, leave someone or something better than you found it.

[This message was edited by Look4 on March 18, 2003 at 09:57 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Lola -

Hmmm...hit the fitness club in the morning..lunch with friends..local sports bar a couple nights a week...Sunday with family.

Seems like plenty of social interaction. Of course, I'm not making enough to quit the j*b yet, so I'm sure not an authority.

I will act now. I will act now. I will act now.

I became unemployed when my dot bomb when under in October of 2001. Since then I've been making a healthy living working out of the home office.

I get out every evening, but I do honestly have trouble working solo like this. I've got a phone to answer and don't feel comfortable forwarding to my cell... so I'm stuck here 9 - 5.

Actually, I did take a little time off to play a supporting role in a recent feature film. The Lord Of The Rings. I played Golum. Or at least on a day to day basis I'm starting to identify with his "look" and his social skills.

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com
    UrbanScooters.com Affiliate Program

I make over three times on my own than what I make at my job but I don't think I would ever quit. I was without employment for nearly a year living off of my affiliate income but found myself sleeping till noon daily and going to bed at 3 am. That may sound exciting to a few of you but it gets old in a hurry.

I enjoy the relationships I have with my employer and coworkers though I am extremely relaxed at work because my employer knows beyond a doubt that he has no ownership or control over me unlike my coworkers who depend on him for their groceries. I can talk with him on a level playing field because he needs me and I only do it because I enjoy it. I have very important relationships within my community with other business owners as well as the chamber of commerce and city government. I feel these relations are priceless because of the future potential to do business with them.

I also enjoy getting away from my wife and children for a few hours each day as well as getting dressed up, showered and properly shaved. I looked like a wild mountain man for a while there.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Ew, I *typed* ABW in the browser but I think I ended up in the Twilight Zone!!!

COUNTERPOINTS!

By NOT working, all that supposed "social interaction" is indeed avoided. Things like:

Finding out that you work with 40 people who have NOTHING to talk about which would require the firing of even one single neuron. Don't you people get BORED OUT OF YOUR MIND hearing about Jane's boyfriend and Sam's kids?!?

Being surrounded by immature yutzes like at Joseph's old job. Now that would suck! Brrr! Yech! Talk about one person's pleasure being another's poison...

Other points:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> found myself sleeping till noon daily and going to bed at 3 am. That may sound exciting to a few of you but it gets old in a hurry.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does *not* get old! In fact, it only gets better. For instance, sunrises are calming and relaxing--perfect for viewing just before bed.

And if you suddenly decide to sleep at the opposite time, it's fine--no place will fire you because your body decided that the old shift is the perfect time...to SLEEP!

If someone at w*rk is irritating, you can't just scroll by him or hit X.

At work there is a b*ss. There are also sub-b*sses (managers). That is BAD.

Going to lunch with the same people I've been looking at for the other 7 1/2 hours was not enticing.

It really seems to be that what's good to some is poison to others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I know I am a "people person" and would go crazy without some human interaction every day <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just the opposite when it comes to "live" interaction. (e-interaction is different for a number of reasons.) I dream of acerage in the sticks, no neighbors for miles around, and a cable connection.

--100% loving being nonempl*yed, and not missing any aspect of w*rk one iota!

[This message was edited by Leader on March 19, 2003 at 02:26 AM.]

Jesus! Where had you worked?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    Ew, I *typed* ABW in the browser but I think I ended up in the Twilight Zone!!!

_COUNTERPOINTS!_

By NOT working, all that supposed "social interaction" is indeed avoided. Things like:

Finding out that you work with 40 people who have NOTHING to talk about which would require the firing of even one single neuron. Don't you people get BORED OUT OF YOUR MIND hearing about Jane's boyfriend and Sam's kids?!?

Being surrounded by immature yutzes like at Joseph's old job. Now that would suck! Brrr! Yech! Talk about one person's pleasure being another's poison...

Other points:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> found myself sleeping till noon daily and going to bed at 3 am. That may sound exciting to a few of you but it gets old in a hurry.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It does *not* get old! In fact, it only gets better. For instance, sunrises are calming and relaxing--perfect for viewing _just before bed._

And if you suddenly decide to sleep at the opposite time, it's fine--no place will fire you because your body decided that the old shift is the perfect time...to SLEEP!

If someone at w*rk is irritating, you can't just scroll by him or hit X.

At work there is a b*ss. There are also sub-b*sses (managers). That is BAD.

At no-work, there are not any of the above.

It really seems to be that what's good to some is poison to others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I know I am a "people person" and would go crazy without some human interaction every day <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just the opposite when it comes to "live" interaction. (e-interaction is different for a number of reasons.) I dream of acerage in the sticks, no neighbors for miles around, and a cable connection.

--100% loving being nonempl*yed, and not missing any aspect of w*rk one iota!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Where had you worked? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Everywhere but McDonald's! All kinds of places (lots of Kelly temp jobs) from factory to office, although I have managed to avoid fast food (a purposeful decision).

There's been a pizzeria and a couple other places which sound a bit like Joseph's job only without the "viewable material". Some grocery stores. Wal-Mart...

Factories of varying types and suckage.

Some office jobs (usually filing--talk about BORING to the EXTREMES!). Inventory. Not as bad as filing but not socially interesting since talking would make the people lose count!

A couple of data-entry jobs that didn't really *suck* per se, but weren't special since I was just plopped in front of a computer with a stack of papers to enter from. Like sitting here but much duller and much less pay. And less interaction than I am doing right now (by typing this response)!

Some hard-to-classify stuff. Watering flowers. Easy but dull and the b*ss was weird. Folding shirts at a Hudson's after a sale. Helped out at a couple of school lunch programs (temp jobs). Yech!

Stock at Meijer's. The epitomy of "nothing to talk about" co-workers (same with the grocery store)! Da-yum.. they were going NOWHERE and had no dreams.

A place where the job was, get this, to count pads of coupons out and put them in bags. They had Zero to talk about either! An "emergency" was if the maintenence guy left some cardboard outside the baler for 1/2 hour. Augh! (This attitude is typical of all the factories and stores I've been in!)

And more...The total number is increased by the amount of temp jobs but the one thing in common is I don't miss any of 'em!

Least sucky though was Farmer Jack (grocery). The constant flow of the *general public* kind of counteracted the bad effects of co-workers who think the most important thing in life was that somebody put 20 items through the 15-item lane.

Most sucky goes to a plastic toy factory. A totally dehumanizing environment with plastic fumes, grease, heat, and smoke from overheated/burning machinery with no ventilation, and employees to match. OSHA's nightmare! Finally they were rumored (I was long gone so I don't know) to have improved it a bit by slowing down the linespeed but I wasn't about to go back for another helping. The only thing that would really help that place is a wrecking ball!

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

[How do those of you who do affiliate sites full-time fill the need to be with other people? ]

I watch the Jerry Springer Show

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador
    That is the only down side to doing this full time. I do miss some of it. My dog keeps me company during the day while i work. My girlfriend usually gets home about 5-6PM so there's some interactin' going on then
    I eat lunch a couple of times a week with friends, hang out sometimes when they don't have to work, the usual stuff.
    But when weighing the pros and cons, i wouldn't change a thing. The best things about affililate marketing:
    1. No boss
    2. No schedule
    3. Unlimited earning potential
    4. Freedom. Might sound cliche but its true.

I don't care what my girlfriend says, i know i can dance, watch me go

I, too, would not like to give up what I have. I'd simply like to add more to it. Add more social interation.

Solution: Tonight I came across a site called TrekAmerica. I could join an adventure group travelling the good old USA and still get a lot of work done via my wireless connection. I could head out for 2 - 3 weeks and will choose the trips with lodging, 'cause Scooter Boy 'aint no camper!

Anyone heard of TrekAmerica.com? Anyone heard of any other good companies offering similar services?

Thanks,

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Sounds like you worked at MTV Online when I was there <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    LOL, no, I don't think anyone would believe me if I told you. I worked in IT at a very large multinational also with 3 well known initials. I just happened to be somewhere they bought years and years ago and the corporate culture hadn't yet fully taken over...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Being surrounded by immature yutzes like at Joseph's old job. Now that would suck! Brrr! Yech! Talk about one person's pleasure being another's poison...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow, that was harsh. Considering I was one of those "yutzes". And proud of it.. Its OK, I wouldn't have traded working in IT, architechting and implementing new infrastructure, etc, for any factory, etc job, yutzes or not. While mostly I was surrounded by "yutzes" they were mostly young, energetic, and intelligent, and did occassionally fire a few neurons. Of course I'd never want to go back to any of the jobs you listed.

Frank--I don't know of any in particular (a good tour for me involves me and my Mercury and a nice hotel), but I have seen and heard of interest groups offering tours like that.

For instance, my aunt often gets offers for art tours (she's into portrait painting) where the tour goes to art museums in faraway places in and out of the US.

And when I was seriously considering opening a greenhouse, I got publications where tours of greenhouse operations were offered. These would be set up to see greenhouses and seed companies in nice, tourist-destination places like Southern California (there are a lot of seed growers down there along with some major potted plant suppliers). You could even go overseas to the Netherlands where they have a HUMONGOUS auctionhouse, or to the tropics where a lot of cut flowers come from.

So if you have a specific hobby or interest, magazines catering to that interest should have some ads. The more interesting tours seem to be more common with the less mainstream interests.

Joseph--Sorry, but...

Well at least you would "occasionally fire a few neurons". It's more than the "inside people" (non-drivers) did at the pizza place! Drivers had a completely different attitude from the insiders and it was typical for one type of employee to refuse to do the other work.

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

Affiliate Manager
    Leader hit it with "one man's pleasure"

I did start as an affiliate in '95- and still maintain some sites as a hobby and research. However, I found I enjoyed helping other people work on their sites as much as or more than starting my own.I love my office and coworkers. I have the luck to spend my days with brilliant people who make me a better person- my dogs were great company, but not quite the same.

I wouldn't rule out heading back on my own sometime. Still, I love where I am.

TrekAmerica - I think my brother in law worked for them a few years ago as a guide- many repeat customers and a good reputation.

Other ideas- National Geographic works with iExplore

GORP is another with a good reputation.

http://www.inca1.com - I just decided I can't wait until my son is old enough for this- much more my speed in adventure travel

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

Thanks... I'll check those groups out. I've got to get away for a little while and this is the time to do it!!!

Frank
    UrbanScooters.com

I have a day job as a senior unix admin consultant and i have no intention to quit eventhough my so called "part-time" business makes me like 6-7 times my salary...

Where else can i work with hi-end multi milion dollar computers than in my day job ( we even have a "Cray" super computer) ...

I know i cannot sit in home all day watching the monitor...I belive its a man thing ... See more girls here in abw ( like leader) dont want to go to a job but guys love going out

"The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their Dreams."

I'm full-time with this already, despite still getting started, since the layoffs finally hit my company.

Avoiding to much alone-at-home

1) I take a walk every morning, about a mile round trip- I pass the bank, bagle shop, pharmacy, town hall, library, post office, and grocery store, so I can get most of my errands done in the process. Not a social activity, but it gets me out of the house, some fresh air, keeps me from being too sendentary.

2) Get together with friends for dinner every week or two at one of our houses, eat lots of garlic bread.

3) Occationally get together with friends one-on-one. It's actually easier to see each other than when I had a nine-to-five, because my schedual is so flexible now: I can accomadate their work scheduals.

4) I have a 99c for as long as you want to talk phone plan, so I talk to most of my long-distance friends and family every couple of weeks to a month

4) I like lots of time to myself, so the above is plenty of social interaction for me.

5) Oh, yeah- and the ABestWeb message board. Don't forget that.

SirenSong
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread