Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Check Engine Idiot Light Went On
    For some reason, the check engine light went on this morning in my Durango. It would be nice if it could be more specific as to what is wrong. Now I have to go pay just to have the code read?

I wouldn't pay to get the code read. I think places like AutoZone and PepBoys do it for free. I can tell you that most check engine codes come from something that is emissions related. Has it been a while since you had a tune up? If you want to have a code reader available, just search Amazon for "Actron". They are the best company for those and Amazon has some great prices on them right now.

-sfcom

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Haha. I had a check engine light on in a Subaru for 5 years. Just ignored it b/c the car seemed fine... prob should have it checked out though

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    In my 40+ years of driving, the majority of the time when the check engine light has come on, its been an overheating problem. If you haven't done so, I'd first check the coolant level, radiator, and the hoses to see if there is a leak.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    chevy, used to have the check engine light go on every 20 or 30k miles. it was just a way to get people back to the dealership for a check up. aka.. more $$$ please
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I had a Toyota Celica GT with an "ESP" system that was wonky. Occasionally the "Check Brakes" light would come on even though there was never anything wrong with the brakes. It was lots of fun when I had a passenger in the car who would notice the flashing warning and start screaming. One time it was my boss. Like I said, big fun.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree that it is usually something wrong with emissions. If it isn't fixed, you might not be able to pass the emissions inspection to get your sticker.

The last time my light went on was during a very bad rainstorm and I was picking up my husband at the airport 60 miles away. After the rain ended and the car dried out the light went out. (It was a wet air filter)

http and a telephoto
    I had a brand new (only car I ever bought new) Pontiac Sunbird station wagon that the check engine like came on 5 days after I took it home. Many frustrating trips back the the dealer and never found out why it wouldn't turn off. Drove it for several years, light on the whole time.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Just break the little bulb inside so it never lights up. Or disconnect it.

Couple of times I've seen it was because I hadn't completely secured the gas cap. Then, once you do, I think it will go away after the 4th or 5th restart. Learned that one the hard way 6 or 7 years ago, because it happened 2 days before a long road trip. So I took it to a sevice station, and shilled out $45 to learn that.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager
    I have a Chevy Impala and the check engine light came on... I called my dealer and he told me to check the gas cap. Sure enough, the gas cap wasn't on right and I put it on correctly and the light went off... Maybe they should have a CHECK GAS CAP light too!

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Couple of times I've seen it was because I hadn't completely secured the gas cap. Then, once you do, I think it will go away after the 4th or 5th restart. Learned that one the hard way 6 or 7 years ago, because it happened 2 days before a long road trip. So I took it to a sevice station, and shilled out $45 to learn that.
    Me too

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Noth,
    That is exactly what happened with my new outlander suv. You couldn't have posted this 2 weeks ago and saved me $65 it cost to read it..lol.

I went to auto parts sotre and had them read the code. It was a generic code implying something with the emissions. I asked him to cancel the code and let me see if it came back on. I have driven the car around today enough and it didn't come back on. Go figure.

You guys are funny. There are a couple posts here that are way off base.

For future reference, you can fire all of your auto related questions at me. No, I don't know it all, but I know a lot of it. I changed my own transmission in my Explorer this past winter, so that should give you an idea of my skill level. And for those who just take their cars to the shop all of the time, I envy you...sometimes doing your own work gets old.

Now get that oil change done...

-sfcom

I used to do all my own car maintenance. Nothing like changing a tranny though. However, I do have a 1965 Mustang in the garage waiting to be restored. I haven't had the time to do anything with it.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    There are a couple posts here that are way off base.
    The "odd-looking" ones I saw mentioned cooling...

In defense of that--Back around the 70s it was indeed the cooling/overheating that would trigger those lights. No automakers then gave a hoot about emissions, let alone made a light for it!

For a while, later on, we had a car that used "Check Engine" to mean it was overheating. Emissions were "EMP" or something like that. The EMP light was always on, and finally my mother covered it up with masking tape

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread