Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Further Proof on why you shouldn't deact old affiliates
    Had a situation this week where an affiliate that applied for one of our programs in 2005, without much success for 2 and a half years.

Then, last week, they popped 116 sales. Fair and square.

So managers: Leave those affiliates in there. You never know what they are capable of.
    Last edited by Noth; November 3rd, 2007 at 11:07 AM.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Awesome post! Thanks for sharing, Kevin!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

As an affiliate I agree, I have a few murchants I was going to pull last year do to no sales but decided to leave them. Over the last month or so I have have made several hundred $$ in commisions from a few of them. So you never know when that non active affiliate with generate some large sales.

Congratulations to the affiliate and...good thing everybody had the patience to stick it out and good judgement by the affiliate manager

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Kevin

Happens to me all the time

Sometimes the result of my efforts, most times due to G

For the past few years, I was lucky to get one sale per quarter for Equifax

Last 2 months... about a dozen a day

I checked, I'm #1 for a key phrase

6. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Noth .. Great news.
    Congrats to the affiliate and your patience

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Good remimber post for merchants and totally agree Kevin.

I have seen that proof too recently as you know I've been managing EF now for almost 3yrs now, you can ask sas the amount of affiliates that have gotten active with EF in these past few months that were quitely building pages that even 12 months ago were just telling me soon, soon.

It takes time with so many programs and things to-do, let's put it this way, I'm still an affiliate too even for some great ABW merchants and OPMs, slowly working on coupon site since 04.

Unless sas removes an affiliate or affiliate totally disregards your program rules, keep them and keep promoting via newsletters.

Affiliate Manager
    I have a couple old affiliates... I would never deactivate anyone because of age. That is silly.

10. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Happens all the time!

We have well over 2000 affiliates now, about 270 of whom were active last month.

At least once a month though I see a first lead from an affiliate ID under 1000 though (meaning they signed up last year or earlier)

And to think, I had to nothing other than automatically send them an email every few months...so much effort!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Great Post!
    As an affiliate, I sometimes apply to a program that sounds interesting, but don't do anything for a while, until I see a fit. If i'm dropped, chances are I won't ever add it back, so some other merchant gets my promotional efforts.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by Chet_B
    I have a couple old affiliates... I would never deactivate anyone because of age. That is silly.
    darn right!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    Kevin

Sometimes the result of my efforts, most times due to G
    Same here. The SERPS change, traffic shifts and the sales roll in. I get a large check in the mail every quarter and I can't even figure out which merchant it is.
    ~Ernie

just remove us is fine

i hate those AM use removal as a threat to less active affiliates

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Had a situation this week where an affiliate that applied for one of our programs in 2005, without much success for 2 and a half years.

Then, last week, they popped 116 sales. Fair and square.

So managers: Leave those affiliates in there. You never know what they are capable of.
    Super example Kevin!! Cogratulations to both you and the affiliate. Yep, it never hurts to have a corral full of horses - never known when one of them becomes a Kentucky Derby winner!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

That's inspiring for everyone
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Out of curiosity, did you talk to them and find out what had changed? I'd like to know just so it's easier for me to understand the affiliate's side.

ABW Ambassador
    It's a few months old, but congrats to you and the affiliate both.

>>what had changed?

I can't speak for that situation, but I'm signed up for merchants I would want to promote when I have a suitable site up and plan to do but haven't gotten around to it yet; and if I don't sign up, I'll forget about them.

Here's what changed with one of the programs I've been signed with for a year or two and never put up (they're leaky), as one instance. I needed to replace a merchant that terminated their aff program, so I put links up on one page for the merchant that was "just sitting" and not promoted. There was a $144 sale within the first couple of days.

I've had it happen that there were merchants' links on pages that just didn't have any action, and all of a sudden the page(s) started getting traffic and some sales started to roll in. Just because there's no activity doesn't mean there aren't links up.

@ Trisha: They put up a link

On the surface, that's the answer. There are other factors though. Their site was more popular than it was, they were better marketers than they were, etc.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    @ Trisha: They put up a link
    Well yeah, that was a given

I was more interested in why they decided to start promoting the program "out of the blue" but I have some ideas.

I see this happen all the time too. With affiliates who might have signed up over 12 years ago, you never know when someone all of a sudden read an email and does something good. My first such story from back in the '90s was an affiliate who you all might know: Lisa Irby.

I've never removed an affiliate due to age or inactivity.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishaLyn
    Well yeah, that was a given

I was more interested in why they decided to start promoting the program "out of the blue" but I have some ideas.
    Things come up, people come up better ideas, people take breaks and then decide to hop in the game again. There are lots of possible reasons.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by bcwaller
    I see this happen all the time too. With affiliates who might have signed up over 12 years ago, you never know when someone all of a sudden read an email and does something good. My first such story from back in the '90s was an affiliate who you all might know: Lisa Irby.

I've never removed an affiliate due to age or inactivity.
    12 years ago?

Since 1996?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    12 years ago?

Since 1996?
    Our first affiliate CED Magic went live April 30, 1996 and they are still with us.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

12 years - thats a biggest time period I've ever heard!

Affiliates do tend to be passive - it is just like with customers - you sold them the product on emotions, but in essence they might never use it. Not good. Use segmentation and try to approach them (email/phone) and get active (activation incentives, advice, ideas). Worth trying a phone/snail mail approach with the most promising ones as well.

On the other hand - if this is an in-house program - there is another perspective to look from - monetizing each affiliate - if they don't sell for you, maybe there is way you could earn from the affiliate.

This is especially interesting if program has newbie affiliates that are not active due lack of knowledge. They are ideal prospects to up-sell them to some training courses (e.g. affiliate guides) or specific guides (SEO/PPC) etc.

My 2 cents

Affiliate Network Rep
    Interesting idea. "You're not selling for us - maybe we can interest you in a book on how to sell?"

I'm not sure how I'd take to that suggestion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast