View Poll Results: Do "Spam Prevention" Measures Turn You Off?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • NO, I'll verify myself without giving it a second thought

0 0%
  • YES, I'll never contact that merchant/AM/OPM again

7 53.85%
  • IT DEPENDS (please elaborate in a post)

6 46.15%
    Question Affiliates: Do "Spam Prevention" Measures Turn You Off?
    Over the past years I have seen affiliates post about this or that AM/OPM not replying to their e-mails, and it would eventually be traced to a "spam folder" or something of a kind.

Yesterday, an interesting observation and conclusion was posted in the "As An Affiliate I Hate..." thread. I do not know if it is about the way our system is set up (AM Navigator uses SpamArrest), but it really doesn't matter. What matters is this: Is this a common feeling among affiliates or it depends?

Many thanks in advance for your votes.

Geno

PS: In my question "spam prevention" measures imply solely automated e-mails asking you to click a link to verify you are not a robot, or a spammer.

For me, it depends. I absolutely despise that type of spam control, because it essentially propogates the impact of spam.

Consider what would happen if everyone in the world used this type of "solution" to solve the problem of spam. Then, if someone forges my email address as the From address in 10,000 spams, I will get 10,000 "verify that you're real" emails from people I never sent email to. That's just as bad as spam.

Another big problem with it is that many other spam solutions flag those "verify that you're real" emails as spam.

Still, I understand why people use it. It really does block virtually every spam. I'm sure it blocks quite a bit of legitimate email, too, as not everyone will get the "verify that you're real" email (see the previous paragraph).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Similar to the reasons Michael noted, I would expect a merchant to have better control over what they are doing than to revert to archaic means of spam control. Forcing a convoluted means of contacting them would make me apprehensive about their other methods of doing business. I would steer clear...

Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Michael's example (of confirmation emails sent to a victim whose email is forged as the sender of a spam) is a very real one. About once each month, I'll have a 4- to 6-hour period when I get dozens of these "please confirm" emails which are sent in response to spams that were forged using my return address.

I think it's perfectly reasonable for a consumer (or a business professional who does not ordinarily conduct business online) to use this strategy to avoid spam, and I'd jump through those hoops to verify my identity in this situation.

But it is not appropriate for someone who is conducting busines online to use this strategy; it creates a burden and inconvenience on your customers.

As an affiliate, if I sent an email to an affiliate manager or OPM and received an automated "please confirm your identity" email, I'd probably ignore it. I think the survey question uses "yes" and "no" answers that are "too extreme," so I selected "It depends," but really my answer is "no, I would usually not bother to respond and thus would not end up doing business with them."

When I wear the "affiliate manager" hat, I do sometimes see these confirmation emails coming from affiliates who've applied to a merchant program, and I think it's a bad idea (since an affiliate is doing business online) but when I'm in that role, I'd certainly follow through to confirm.

While I think it is perfectly reasonable for an individual to use reasonable methods to reduce their burden, I don't feel that it is reasonable for them to put an additional burden on me while doing so.

The proliferation of spam has long been a major headache for everyone, but just imagine if everyone employed this method of reducing it. It would be a nightmare of bounced emails and non-replies. If this method does become more prevalent (and I hope it doesn't) it will only be a matter of time until the spammers begin spoofing these emails too.

Unfortunately, I think that the only way that the spam problem will be solved will be when the email providers begin charging a token fee for every email sent.

I agree with Mark that the survey questions are "too extreme" so I'm voting it depends also.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    It bothers me that my e-mails seem to get in the spam mail folder even though my e-mail messages don't contain anything to identify them as such. Filters are set way too high.

I don't mind answering a confirmation mail if I only have to click on a link. I don't want to have to fill out a form though.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    But it is not appropriate for someone who is conducting busines online to use this strategy; it creates a burden and inconvenience on your customers.
    I've reached the super jaded point

I STRONGLY agree with MW... and then some

If ANY of my emails to an OPM, an affiliate manager, or even another affiliate... end up in the spam filter or are returned... then I assume they are NOT online professionals... and NOT worth my time

If you do business online, you need to accept emails, so DEAL WITH IT!

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    I've reached the super jaded point

I STRONGLY agree with MW... and then some

If ANY of my emails to an OPM, an affiliate manager, or even another affiliate... end up in the spam filter or are returned... then I assume they are NOT online professionals... and NOT worth my time

If you do business online, you need to accept emails, so DEAL WITH IT!
    Totally agree.

AMs/OPMs/Merchants should not be using Spam Arrest or other similar programs. Use internal filters in your email program.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

What Billy Said!

BTW, personally I see spam arrest as more of an affiliate oppty than a real tool.

Edited to add:
    In all fairness I have never tried spam arrest for my email, so I can't really speak of it's effectiveness, however I've been sooo turned off by it's opportunistic nature and poor usability that I doubt I will ever use the service.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I agree totally with Billy, Loxly, and Haiko, and I'm voting "YES, I'll never contact that merchant/AM/OPM again" with the caveat that depending on time and my mood, I might verifty/respond to their filter only to tell them what Mark and rematt described so well, and that this is the last they'll hear from me unless they change their system.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    While I think it is perfectly reasonable for an individual to use reasonable methods to reduce their burden, I don't feel that it is reasonable for them to put an additional burden on me while doing so.

-rematt
    Ditto
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Good feedback. Thank you very much for it, boys and gals.

Geno

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread