Affiliates, Design Your Ultimate Directory!
    I'm interested in starting a directory of affiliate programs with a focus on making the directory valuable for affiliates.

Their seem to be a lot of affiliate directories committing the cardinal sins of empty categories or poor navigation.

From my understanding Affiliates will need basic information.

Merchant Contact Information
    Website link (they signup to the affiliate program here)
    Payment information
    Cookie Length

How do I make the directory valuable for affiliates while still maintaing a three tiered payment structure for advertisers (free, standard, featured)?

However with the website link what would be the incentive for advertisers to pay?

As an affiliate how do you feel a directory would provide real value?

Thanks!

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I really can't imagine myself using a directory of affiliate programs. I've run across several and I haven't found them to be any more informative than the network sign up pages.

I guess that you'd have to make something that would give more information than the network directories to make it worth our while. Perhaps a way to search based on multiple criteria (can we say server intensive!)

I believe there was a thread earlier in the year about something very similar to what you're thining of doing, hudoo. If I remember it correctly, the consensus in that thread was that the information that is always most helpful to affiliates is the program performance information (EPC, conversion, etc). If you could put together a resource that would display these metrics renewed dynamically and in real time -- it would be priceless. However, no affiliate network will give you an internal access to such info. I guess there still are ways you can do it though, but they would require a bit more work.

Geno

Good point Geno. Considering this data will almost always be behind closed doors. What other data do you believe would benefit affiliates?

You can work out an average affiliate program conversion without having access "behind closed doors". I would image having such data next to the descriptions of the affiliate programs you list will be of help to affiliates.

Having said that, I really think that your main customers will still be merchants themselves. Most affiliates probably search for programs within the networks, not around affiliate program directories...

Geno

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread