Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    How To Contact You (affiliates)
    Hi all,

New merchant here and I have a question. How do you preferred to be contacted? In linkshare and commission junction there are affiliate directories that can be used to prospect new affiliates, but I can't seem to find that in SAS. So my question is; how do mechants contact you? What's your preferred method? Other advice?

Thanks,

Zack

PS I wasnt sure if I could post my site.

No, you can't post your website, Zach (at least not in this section of the forum).

But here's a thread that should help you with your question.

BTW, welcome to ABestWeb!

Geno

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Not sure about anyone else but if you need to contact me email is my first, second and third choices.

If you need a 4th option, I prefer email.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Not sure about anyone else but if you need to contact me email is my first, second and third choices.

If you need a 4th option, I prefer email.
    Agree, once we have a relationship then I still prefer email unless I've specifically asked you to call me about something.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    LOGIN AT SAS
    ON THE RIGHT "Become a Featured Program"
    http://www.shareasale.com/m-featuredprograms.cfm

Featured Program of the Week
    This program displays your logo and description of your affiliate program on the Opening of Affiliate Home Page. There are two spots available per week
    Rate: $450 per week (1 week minimum) - 2 Spots available per week.
    PLEASE NOTE: This program is extremely popular and often is booked 1-2 months in advance. During holiday times it can increase to 3+ months. We want to have the ad space available when you need it most, so please plan ahead accordingly.
    You can now see availability and book this program online.

IT IS WORTH IT

I like email too!

Email is my preferred method.

Outsourced Program Manager
    From an AM's point of view i love the feature of sending newsetters to affiliates via their inhouse system which goes the the affiliates LISTED email.
    Problem is 5-10% bounce

To comunicate to a single affiliates I also prefer to send them an email and hence the reason I ask them for it when they sign up.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

I am also an affiliate manager and I agree there are bounced emails. Problem is not only bounced emails though, it is also affiliates using trash emails that go into a junk mail box and get deleted every 30 days. Therefore making you think they have a real email on their account.

I personally approve each and every application but I went above the normal email from shareasale and emailed the affiliates from their website with a personal email to each and everyone (basically offered to help in any way that I can). The response rate was very very low with only a few that actually emailed me back.

Just to note, yes I did the newsletter from shareasale first and the response was 0. The newsletter was even offering a holiday bonus based on generated sales, which told me it was not read and thus the reason I tried the personal email.

Until affiliates learn that the #1 thing that determines success is communication then the contacts to affiliates are virtually of no use.

James

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO
    From an AM's point of view i love the feature of sending newsetters to affiliates via their inhouse system which goes the the affiliates LISTED email.
    Problem is 5-10% bounce

To comunicate to a single affiliates I also prefer to send them an email and hence the reason I ask them for it when they sign up.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnkeySetup
    Just to note, yes I did the newsletter from shareasale first and the response was 0. The newsletter was even offering a holiday bonus based on generated sales, which told me it was not read and thus the reason I tried the personal email.
    Are you a new merchant? Are you someone that your affiliates know and trust? How do you *know* it wasn't read. Many people read emails and act on them without responding. And most affiliates are aware that once they contact you via email, you have their email addresses and may not be willing to give you that information until they get to know you. Other affiliates will contact you right away to find out more about your site and program and offer *you* suggestions as well.
    Until affiliates learn that the #1 thing that determines success is communication then the contacts to affiliates are virtually of no use.
    Wow, no wonder you got no responses. Until you learn that affiliates like to communicate in their own time and in their own way and with people they know and trust you are unlikely to get much communication at all.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Lightbulb
    I've talked to many affiliates who agree with me that personal communication by email and telephone is essential and lacking.

Many of us have grown tired by non response from AM's. this occurs even when using CJ and Linkshare's internal mail sytems (Yes I know you're SAS) and this can really fustrate us.

I can't talk for all Affiliates but I cherrish my relationships with AM's.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar

I personally approve each and every application but I went above the normal email from shareasale and emailed the affiliates from their website with a personal email to each and everyone (basically offered to help in any way that I can). The response rate was very very low with only a few that actually emailed me back.

James
    There really is no need to personally approve each and every affiliate. Sometimes I want to add a product to a site, but I find out I have to wait for authorization and I move on to one of my other projects/pages/ideas and that one goes on standby. Once I get approved it is now on the bottom of the list and I'll get to it eventually as opposed to today.

What message are you sending?

Affiliates get flooded with e-mail from networks and affiliate programs. Typically I spend 5-10 seconds to see if it is anything other than coupon codes or send-me-a-ton-of -sales for a bonus or I delete it. My sites are small and growing I'm not going to be able to send 50 sales in a month.... but in a few months I might.

Subject Lines

I'd suggest that affiliate manager look at the subject line the put in their news letters. Is the subject personal and important?

Call to Action

Also consider what you actually say in the e-mail body. Do you ASK the affiliate to e-mail you or to chat with you in AIM, MSN Messenger, etc ?
    If you just say " I look forward to working with you please let me know if you need anything" you'll get just that... They'll probably only reply if there is a need.

Spam Filters

One final issue is your spam filter. I've discovered that many people's spam filters are a bit too eager to mark messages as spam. Just as your messages might go to our junk mail folders... it is also possible that our replies went right into yours!

I am not a merchant actually I am a 23+ year internet veteran, I have been developing high end websites for over 15 years. I am no internet newbie, thats for sure.

I do however manage an affiliates program for a client of mine on shareasale. I can understand your point to an extent but would have to disagree as I actually offer affiliates alot more than any other merchant would and that even includes helping them market their website if they wish for advertising and marketing advice.

I have been told by a few affiliates the reason they use the junk mail is because of merchants that actually spam them with non-related affiliate program information. Which with being online for so many years I can certainly understand.

Again though as I said affiliates are manually approved and not auto approved so thus the affiliate actually took the first step in joining the program which means they had to do some form of research before deciding to join (some ofcourse will just click and join anything, this is to be expected). Since the affiliate did take that first step there must already be some form of trust there, to which degree is really not important here.

What is important here is communication (with the right merchant anyways). As an affiliate of shareasale also I personally contacted some merchants for specific csv's and etc. Out of all I contacted I got 1 reply with "our programmers are too busy". Now unlike these merchants (not naming anyone) I run an affiliates program 100% different.

The only way to success is to communicate and work together, others may get there without doing it but it will take them alot longer to do so. I personally offer all affiliates

* Advertising & Marketing Advice
    * Complete Help & Support Forum
    * Special Request on Advertising Materials are Granted
    * Customized Images (even to match their website)
    * Custom Doorway Pages
    * Custom HTML Full Page Ads
    * Plus a whole lot more that I rather not mention to give away AM's secrets.

The bottom line is I offer "FULL SUPPORT" to the affiliates and that support is with someone who actually has many proven websites.

Now there is alot more that goes on with affiliates which this thread is not about so I will not go into those issues here. Bottom line though still remains the same (trust or no trust) "Communications Is a Must for Success".

James

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Are you a new merchant? Are you someone that your affiliates know and trust? How do you *know* it wasn't read. Many people read emails and act on them without responding. And most affiliates are aware that once they contact you via email, you have their email addresses and may not be willing to give you that information until they get to know you. Other affiliates will contact you right away to find out more about your site and program and offer *you* suggestions as well.

Wow, no wonder you got no responses. Until you learn that affiliates like to communicate in their own time and in their own way and with people they know and trust you are unlikely to get much communication at all.

Amen!

Hello,
    I have no spam filter, I use the actaul servers default email so I get all email on the server junk or not.

As for approving affiliates, yes it is very important for an affiliates program to manual approve the affiliates as it is useless for affiliates that will sit in a program and never even add links to their websites. If a website has nothing to do with my clients site then that affiliate will not get the targeted traffic to my clients site. There are many more reasons to manually approve.

Now with that said I will also say this, not one affiliate has waited over 3 hours to be approved. Again as my post suggest "I am not the normal affiliate manager" I actually work online 7 days a week 16 - 18 hours a day.

The actual message to the affiliates I would rather not release here but just telling an affiliate welcome aboard is a waste of email space in my opinion. The message was introduction/important news/helpful all in one which was related to the specific program they just requested to join.

James

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    There really is no need to personally approve each and every affiliate. Sometimes I want to add a product to a site, but I find out I have to wait for authorization and I move on to one of my other projects/pages/ideas and that one goes on standby. Once I get approved it is now on the bottom of the list and I'll get to it eventually as opposed to today.

What message are you sending?

Affiliates get flooded with e-mail from networks and affiliate programs. Typically I spend 5-10 seconds to see if it is anything other than coupon codes or send-me-a-ton-of -sales for a bonus or I delete it. My sites are small and growing I'm not going to be able to send 50 sales in a month.... but in a few months I might.

Subject Lines

I'd suggest that affiliate manager look at the subject line the put in their news letters. Is the subject personal and important?

Call to Action

Also consider what you actually say in the e-mail body. Do you ASK the affiliate to e-mail you or to chat with you in AIM, MSN Messenger, etc ?
    If you just say " I look forward to working with you please let me know if you need anything" you'll get just that... They'll probably only reply if there is a need.

Spam Filters

One final issue is your spam filter. I've discovered that many people's spam filters are a bit too eager to mark messages as spam. Just as your messages might go to our junk mail folders... it is also possible that our replies went right into yours!

Thank you Bibby, nice to see someone that understands

James

Quote Originally Posted by bibby
    Amen!

If a website has nothing to do with my clients site then that affiliate will not get the targeted traffic to my clients site.
    James
    Affiliates usually reply to an Affiliate Merchant program that has products an affiliate can visualize being promoted/pre-sold on the affiliate's site.
    As an affiliate if I can't visualize some sort of successful promotion I won't apply to the program in the first place.

What about a general site that can be made more specific with subdomains (or some type of sections within the site) or blogs that reach out to a targeted audience?

To answer your original question: as an affiliate I prefer e-mail.
    I have used the network e-mail provide by LS and CJ, I don't think SAS has a network e-mail system. I prefer e-mail (with a subject header/topic).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Hello,

As for approving affiliates, yes it is very important for an affiliates program to manual approve the affiliates as it is useless for affiliates that will sit in a program and never even add links to their websites. If a website has nothing to do with my clients site then that affiliate will not get the targeted traffic to my clients site. There are many more reasons to manually approve.
    Be careful with that one. The space in Shareasale for example is limited. I can only list half of my sites there.
    The other networks may or many not give space to list all of the websites owned by the affiliate marketer. If you'll take the time to see if one of the sites matches you product then that is great.

Auto-approve vs manual..
    I still have to select the program and apply.. The only difference from my end is that I have to wait.

I am glad that you are avoiding these problems that have been mentioned. I wasn't saying that You personally committed any of those errors just that those were common reasons why people don't reply (or seem not to reply) to AMs.

Anyway back to the main topic.

If the AM uses MSN Messenger I love to use that as well as e-mail messages with clear and personal subjects. I finally installed AIM, but almost everyone I know uses MSN.

I am not a merchant actually I am a 23+ year internet veteran, I have been developing high end websites for over 15 years. I am no internet newbie, thats for sure.

I do however manage an affiliates program for a client of mine on shareasale. I can understand your point to an extent but would have to disagree as I actually offer affiliates alot more than any other merchant would and that even includes helping them market their website if they wish for advertising and marketing advice.

I have been told by a few affiliates the reason they use the junk mail is because of merchants that actually spam them with non-related affiliate program information. Which with being online for so many years I can certainly understand.

Again though as I said affiliates are manually approved and not auto approved so thus the affiliate actually took the first step in joining the program which means they had to do some form of research before deciding to join (some ofcourse will just click and join anything, this is to be expected). Since the affiliate did take that first step there must already be some form of trust there, to which degree is really not important here.

What is important here is communication (with the right merchant anyways). As an affiliate of shareasale also I personally contacted some merchants for specific csv's and etc. Out of all I contacted I got 1 reply with "our programmers are too busy". Now unlike these merchants (not naming anyone) I run an affiliates program 100% different.

The only way to success is to communicate and work together, others may get there without doing it but it will take them alot longer to do so. I personally offer all affiliates

* Advertising & Marketing Advice
    * Complete Help & Support Forum
    * Special Request on Advertising Materials are Granted
    * Customized Images (even to match their website)
    * Custom Doorway Pages
    * Custom HTML Full Page Ads
    * Plus a whole lot more that I rather not mention to give away AM's secrets.

The bottom line is I offer "FULL SUPPORT" to the affiliates and that support is with someone who actually has many proven websites.

Now there is alot more that goes on with affiliates which this thread is not about so I will not go into those issues here. Bottom line though still remains the same (trust or no trust) "Communications Is a Must for Success".

James

James

I wish someone in my line of work would treat me like that ,

I practically have to be and harrass my AM's for stuff.

Sometimes they don't even respond,

I do like a lot of your points

Hi Wethead,
    Thanks for the response. Well as someone that has been in the business of building websites I learned long ago to offer my help, knowledge, advice, or just lend an ear to my clients. I strongly feel an affiliates program should be run in the same manner.

Its a shame I cant post the url here for my client as I feel there is alot we could do to help the affiliates. I fully understand most merchants just do auto-approve, add a few links to the system and let the affiliate program run. As an affiliate of shareasale I just dropped over 100 merchants due to the lack of communications and team work, they do not respond to request and if they do most the time they dont have time for your specific needs.

Communications and teamwork must exist on both ends, affiliates & merchants alike.

James

Quote Originally Posted by wethead
    James

I wish someone in my line of work would treat me like that ,

I practically have to be and harrass my AM's for stuff.

Sometimes they don't even respond,

I do like a lot of your points

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    For the topic of this thread--email Only.

"Communications Is a Must for Success".
    I'm both an affiliate and a merchant, and I most STRONGLY disagree!

My most successful programs (as an affiliate) have been the ones where the AM/Merchant doesn't communicate beyond newsletters, unless I initiate it--and I rarely need to initiate it (could count the times on one hand for all 7 years in the biz).
    "Communication" is what happens when something is broken. Programs that are running right need no discussion.

Ideally, my traffic comes to the merchant ready to buy (thanks to my pitch). The merchant site does the rest and sales happen at a decent conversion ratio. I get paid the correct amount, on time.

There simply is nothing to discuss with properly-run programs.

I did the newsletter from shareasale first and the response was 0.
    If you don't specifically ask for a response you won't get any: There is no NEED to respond. No more than a person "responds" to a TV News show. You give the news, the people who read the newsletter get said news, end of transaction.

On another note--your list of "offerings"...and why it isn't bringing the doors down with responses:

1) Advice? Most affiliates don't like to be told what to do--that's why we're not doing some j*b instead of this. Nor do most people like having anyone ASSUME that advice is needed/wanted. Such an assumption is insulting.

Also, even for those who would want some advice--you need to show them that your advice is worth listening to. MOST AMs/OPMs/Merchants don't know as much as can be learned from even a cursory readover of a combo of ABW and a decent SEO-specific forum! And some AMs have BAD advice. You need to show that you're not "most" nor in the wrong "some"--and talking about how long you've been in business doesn't do the trick. Most AMs do that, too.

And most affiliates don't want to hear it anyway--coming from an AM, it's arrogant and boss-like. You'd have to have some damned hot data to entice (the good kind of) attention, like the actual Google Algo crack--and not just the same old pap "quality content" line that they can get on any forum from any putzenheimer who's been online for 2 seconds.

2) Custom creatives. If you've got a good array of creatives, there's no need for affs to request custom ones. Affs will keep the knowledge of availability in their "back pocket" just in case, but chances are, they won't need to take you up on it.

3) Custom Doorway Pages & Ads: This could be search engine ban-bait, so people will be leery and shy off. You'll need to tell people more about these before they'll be interested: Are they unique? Tested? Etc. etc. (I don't mean to tell that stuff here, I mean to say it in your newsletter.)

As an affiliate of shareasale I just dropped over 100 merchants due to the lack of communications and team work,
    Show me a program that truly welcomes advice, and I'll show you a rudderless ship heading for the reefs.

1) Those with a direction of their own don't need yours!
    2) Those withOUT a direction of their own (and no clues), also don't know whose advice to listen to, and end up trying to follow everyone's. Shipwreck ensues.

3) "Team work" eugghhh...

Wow, seems like to me you just dont know. Seems like a bit of bad attitude which is expected from most merchants that do not want to help their affiliates.

First to start off with I have never told anyone what to do or how to run their website. I never once stated the doors was not being knocked down, I responded to a thread of someone that asked a question.

I was in management for 12 years before going full time on website developement and I must tell you a Brick and Mortar business is no different than an online business. No Communications = No Success.

Your post is one reason why affiliates do not perform as they could be. You state that you are a merchant and even say "No communication is needed if a program is run proper". Seems to me you should read over the forums again. Every single affiliate has different needs and there is no way in this world you can fullfill those needs by no communications and giving the affiliate what they need to properly promote your site.

MOST AMs/OPMs/Merchants don't know as much as can be learned from even a cursory readover of a combo of ABW and a decent SEO-specific forum! And some AMs have BAD advice.
    Most forums have bad advice, dont assume an affiliate manager does just because you had a problem with a few of them. I am not some newbie and I dont give advice for affiliates to waste their time and effort by advertising in ffal link pages, link exchanges, search engine submission, safelist, and the other useless advertising methods.

SEO means very little and yes I can prove that but this type of information is saved for my affiliates and not to be posted on some forum.

Show me a program that truly welcomes advice, and I'll show you a rudderless ship heading for the reefs.

1) Those with a direction of their own don't need yours!
    2) Those withOUT a direction of their own (and no clues), also don't know whose advice to listen to, and end up trying to follow everyone's. Shipwreck ensues.

3) "Team work" eugghhh...
    I can show you several affiliates since the affiliate program started that truly welcome my advice and are very happy with the results.

I can show you a thousand different clients that are very happy for my advice as they have reaped the benefits of someone that was willing to help them along the way without thinking of how to "Fatten Their Wallet".

It would seem to me that you just have no clue as to what it takes to run a proper business that will last. I have been running mine for over 15 years on the same principles I have posted here.

James

http and a telephoto
    TurnKey, you may be successful in your business, but you have 9 posts here and are telling an established and respected poster with a successful business as both an affiliate and a merchant that they don't know what they are doing. You have lost a lot of credibility by your posts in this thread.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Its a shame I cant post the url here for my client as I feel there is alot we could do to help the affiliates.
    And why can't you? You just have to pay for an ad or announcement.
    Deborah Carney

If you are referring to yourself then I think you should see the post by shareasale's own affiliates. I only have 9 post here due to the fact I seen no reason for my client to spend $2,500 for a forum when I built his forum for him for free on his own server.

You can say my credibility is lost but to me that only tells me that you dont like what I say because I stated facts. The original poster asked as many merchants ask.. " How do I contact the affiliates ".

If you can not listed to your own affiliates or merchants then I see a problem, affiliates are requesting that merchants and affiliate managers should be more helpful and merchants are asking many times over how do we contact affiliates that use junk or fake emails.

Now to me seems to be a problem. I personally do not measure success by a dollar sign it is measured at how well you do your job and help others succeed, thus goes back to my original point " Communication and Teamwork = Success"

James

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    TurnKey, you may be successful in your business, but you have 9 posts here and are telling an established and respected poster with a successful business as both an affiliate and a merchant that they don't know what they are doing. You have lost a lot of credibility by your posts in this thread.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast