ABW Ambassador
    Macy's Changes It's IPL process
    I really didn't need this at this time of year. I used to use the "Individual Product Linking" to make my own links. I would just sign in, make the links I wanted and get out.

They've discontinued this.

Now they don't let you make your own. You have to go to the Macy's site, figure out what you want, then go back to LS, and HOPE that their ready made links are up-to-date. AND if I want to use them, the images have to be reduced by a huge amount.

This is the way cj does it and I hate it.

I really really didn't need this. I've emailed them, but haven't heard anything.

Sorry about the grousing, I just needed to vent.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    I really didn't need this at this time of year. I used to use the "Individual Product Linking" to make my own links. I would just sign in, make the links I wanted and get out.

They've discontinued this.

Now they don't let you make your own. You have to go to the Macy's site, figure out what you want, then go back to LS, and HOPE that their ready made links are up-to-date.
    I feel the same way about the Macy's site and it's the same thing with Frederick's of Hollywood
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Believe it or not, I just received a reply from the Macy's affiliate mgr.(Within one hour of asking a question. so he gets high marks for that!)

He told me that Macy's is re-evaluating it's policy of letting affiliates make their own links. I told him that it was a bad time of year to do this and that I was already swapping out links.

Aunt Lily,

I wish you'd send the same e-mail to Frederick's of Hollywood.

The ability given to the affiliate to create an individual product link from the merchant's site is one of Linkshare's best strengths -- why would a merchant want to take that potential process away?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I actually emailed them last fall when I was preparing for Valentine's day. I don't think I ever heard back!

And yes I agree that this feature is the ONE THING that I really like about LS. I hate having to rely on the links at CJ and SAS, it seems I spend half my life trying to work around them.

Now they don't let you make your own. You...HOPE that their ready made links are up-to-date.
    Some of those ready-made-links have discontinued products
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    ...And yes I agree that this feature is the ONE THING that I really like about LS. I hate having to rely on the links at CJ and SAS, it seems I spend half my life trying to work around them.
    The "Create a Custom Link to a Page" feature of SAS is a better version of the LS format, and has been available for every merchant I've joined at SAS.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Affiliate Hound, Thank you for the info. I will check it out!!!! I've always just gone to the links page.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hey Aunt Lily,

The links seem to still work, they've just removed the ability to create them via the LS interface, correct?

I was able to use my Bounce bookmark to create the link (www.bounce.cc), hope that helps.

-Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Yes they still work.

But Macy's products change constantly and they soon will be out of date. I have a very specialized site and make each page by hand, with unique combinations of products from many merchants. The new premade links are 10 times the size I need. There's added work and no guarantee that these premade links will be uptodate or carry the complete line.

Also I've found that when merchants start playing these kinds of games with affiliates, they continue to add one new rule after another.

I must admit after AffiliateHound's tip last night I visited SAS looking for new merchants.

Also I've found that when merchants start playing these kinds of games with affiliates, they continue to add one new rule after another.
    What rules are you referring to?
    Do you consider the imposition of pre-made links (as opposed to the freedom that let's you create links) to be a rule?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Yes Rhia I do consider pre-made links a rule. Because those links often exclude product that I would like to carry. Some merchants try to "force" us to push certain products and not allow us to carry others.

This is indeed bad news because, like "Aunt Lily" I have hand-coded pages (many of them) with specific products. Macy's has been my best converting merchant at LS, but lately sales have plummeted for some unknown reason. Before this thread was posted, I thought it was due to the fact that all their banners are displaying one moment and the next they aren't (this problem still persists). I sent an email to the AM who replied that this was a matter to be addressed to LS tech support but, naturally, I haven't received any reply from LS! I can remember the problem with not being able to create individual product links occurred once before and then they reinstated it again, so let's hope we get it back soon as it is extremely useful. In the meantime I guess we have no other recourse but to create these product links through the option they have available by using specific keywords for the products we need. I've managed to do some of my links that way, but not all. As far as the large images are concerned, these can be resized so that's not a problem really.

Grumpy, I hand code pages too -- so I am not happy about this
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Unfortunately Grumpy, the Macy's AM just emailed me that the change is permanent. That they will no longer allow us to make our own links. Yes we can resize the images, but what a pain.

I am busy replacing their links. I just don't trust their program any more.

Thanks for the feedback, Aunt Lily.

Making one's own links has always been the big benefit of LS, too bad someone with decision making powers decided to limit affiliate creativity.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Unfortunately Grumpy, the Macy's AM just emailed me that the change is permanent. That they will no longer allow us to make our own links. Yes we can resize the images, but what a pain.

I am busy replacing their links. I just don't trust their program any more.
    Thanks for posting this info. I wonder what prompted this action on their part? I am reluctant to drop them because, as I said before, they are my best converting merchant at LS. However, that being said, I am starting to wonder why sales have dropped so badly recently. Could it possibly be because the existing IPL's are no longer tracking now that they have taken away this feature? I intend doing a test purchase through one of these links and, if it doesn't track, they had better have a pretty good explanation for it. I think it's really bad for them to do this just before the holiday season, and without informing affiliates in advance of their intentions and the reasons for taking this action.

I like amazon.com's associate's program b/c it's extremely easy to create custom links to any part of their site. While amazon.com's commission rate is low (4%), I've found the conversion rate to be high. When incorporated with custom links, amazon.com's ratings can make any site convert well.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread