Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I guess you get what you pay for. I've been with a low-cst host service for about six months and suddenly can't get a hold of anyone there for the past few days to upgrade my account. So I'd like to take my business elsewhere. Can anyone suggest a reliable low- or moderate cost web host service that offers decent amount of disk space and bandwidth? Thanks.

bluegravity.com

I just paid my monthly bill, $27 for 9 domains, 5 gig bandwith, 200 meg storage.

Been with them for a year - NEVER had a site down, NEVER went more than 24 hours before an email reply to a non-crisis request (heck - NEVER had a crisis!), get new domains set up in about 6 hours from first request. Always willing to take a look and see why my cgi proggys dont work (always my fault... ) Always friendly and courteous and quick to respond and help.

Highly recommended.

Mel
    Goal: $3000 per month by Christmas, 2003
    Sunset Beach Trading Company - Financially Free in 2003

Check out Hostway.com.

I've been with them for about six weeks now and am happy with them. Zero down time, fast servers, and quick customer service.

NetSweat.com - The Internet's Fitness Resource
    www.netsweat.com

Thanks for the suggestions. Blue Gravity looks interesting, but I don't have five domains yet. Hostway is a bit on the expensive side.

Maybe I'm daft but I'm sure I can get at least under $5 a month for 2 gig bandwidth and 250 mb disk space somewhere.

ermmm... you dont HAVE to set up 5 domains at once! But it's nice to be able to simply drop them in..

Dont try and skimp on your hosting... sounds like you've allready realized the value of a 'bargain' hosting deal...

I'd rather pay $20 bucks more a month to make sure my sites actually come up! And have someone there to answer the phone...

Mel

TH Media! Excellent customer service, reasonable rates, lots of extra goodies in the package, and since I've been with them (September) never had my site go down.

With my old host, my site would go off line periodically.

They also have a forum here.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Thanks everyone for the input. Anyone else like thier host enough to recommend it? I'm looking for low-cost but reliable web hosting.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> low-cost but reliable web hosting<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMHO that is a contradiction in terms. Been there, done that. Paying for reliable hosting is one of the absolute MUSTS in this business. Sure, you can put up a site on a free host and make some initial money to pay for domains and hosting, but to really run a business, pay for good hosting.

I've been with Futurequest.com for over 2 years, and continue to be amazed at the level of service, the reliablity, and more and more appreciate the customized control panel rather than one of the big three canned control panels that many hosts hand to clients. They have a starter package that is small in storage space, but as you grow you can upgrade. If you pay for the starter package up front for one year, the price is equal to about $7.95/month. As you make more money and need more space, you can upgrade easily and painlessly. You won't get 2Gb, though.

Adding up to 5 other domains on your package costs a onetime setup fee each domain name, however again, IMO you get what you pay for. (They also have an affiliate program at cj, and if you would like, I can provide a link ).

THMedia is also reliable, and the help tickets are answered with the utmost promptness and efficiency. Tom and Michelle are wonderful people to work with, as are the technical staff. I do have a account with them, and if I were dissatisfied, I'd leave, believe me. I'm just hoping that Cpanel decides to make some upgrades soon so I can get easier access to my subdomain stats before I lose more money from not watching my raw logs on my add-ons and sub-domains. IMO the "exra goodies in the package" are far outweighed by this problem in Cpanel.

They have an affiliate program with SAS (and yes, I can provide a link if you'd like to click on it )

HTH

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

OK - I must first show my bias by saying I am now aiding in the marketing/affiliate efforts of NewWebsite.com which is a reliable low cost hosting service and that is "not a contradiction in terms". I have been "very happily" hosting with them for over 2 years now and the reason I am working with NewWebsite.com is because of my positive experience with them.

Paying extra fees for additional domains added to your account is silly IMO. It doesn't cost the hosting company a thing! The bandwidth used is what costs a hosting company money and not the amount of domains in your account. Example - I guarantee abestweb.com uses more bandwidth than all 600+ of my domains (30+ active sites) combined. I pay one low monthly fee for all of those domains.

Now - Am I saying that the majority of people are getting overcharged for their hosting? YES!!!!!

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org
    www.MultipleDomainHosting.net

[This message was edited by wentzco on March 19, 2003 at 02:46 AM.]

I would rather pay for my IRM that is set up the way it is at FQ. That is my choice.

I don't pay for additional domains at THMedia. Nor do I have direct access to the raw logs on those domains.

It matters not to me if someone else thinks it's unreasonable for FQ to charge for the extra domain setup or not. Everyone has their preferences. A one time fee just doesn't bother me as much as it does others.

Choosing hosting is one of the most difficult decisions a webmaster has to make. We all have our priorities, and they often differ from another webmaster's priorities.

I'm also very wary of a host who states "unlimited disk space" (see NewWebsite.com). I prefer raw log access in addition to Webalizer produced "statistical information". I like a page defining terms like "unlimited email accounts". Does that mean unlimited POP's or unlimited forwarding? There's a huge difference. "Much More"? Does that mean MySQL access, SSI, PHP, SSL/Telnet access, what? How many FTP accounts? Anonymous FTP? How many mailing lists can I have? These are issues that are spelled out on hosting sites like THMedia and FutureQuest.

Plus, as someone who has learned and benefitted from discussion boards since day 1 of learning web design and work, both FQ and THMedia have support boards. They do not take the place of excellent service and technical support, rather they enhance them.

I've tried hosting at about 3 other paid hosts and several free servers. I HATE shopping for hosting. So I stick with my two favorites! And when I make an affiliate sale, I'm proud to have introduced a webmaster to hosting that I myself use and prefer.

- - - - -

Bluegravity.com - free to set up new domains (.50 for a unique IP after the first 5), access to raw logs, all the MySQL, php, ssl, telnet, etc you could ask for. No CPanel though, but that's allright.

Mel

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm also very wary of a host who states "unlimited disk space"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Be very wary of anyone offering unlimited anything...

----
    -J
    Up in the air in revenue share

Again, thanks to all for responding. Let me opine for a moment. I've worked with a number of different web hosts, from the very expensive to very cheap. My realization is that web hosting has become a commodity. It used to cost an arm and a leg, but it doesn't have to anymore. I agree that reliability is most important and that you don't want to pay so little that that reliability could be jeopordized.

When you have affiliate sites that target niches, the traffic will probably never be high enough to justify paying a lot every month. If it does, then great. I'd switch to a more expensive plan in a second. But there are very cheap AND reliable plans out there I'm sure. I just have to find them.

I enjoy reading about others experiences with their web hosts. Please keep your recommendatiuons coming. I wonder if any web hosts out there could make a special plan thats very affordable just to ABestWeb members....

I am responding to this since my company's name was mentioned.

The "unlimted disk space" means that we as a company don't place restrictions on how much disk space is used. Disk space is very cheap. If a customer has a $29 multiple domain account and they say the need 60 gigs of disk space, which we know most people will never need, then we just buy a hard drive for that customer. Its not a big deal. I don't know why hosting companies act like disk space is so expensive.

"Much more" means whatever the customer needs he gets. Why should there be an extra charge for things like mysql, php, ssh, ftp, and email accounts when it doesn't cost the host anything. The only thing that costs the host is the bandwidth and electricity.

True you get what you pay for. I believe in that. But let me ask you this, Is gasoline a lot better quality now that we are paying 75% more for it? No. Its just price gouging.

Newwebsite also has a support board. And customers have access to the raw access logs.

Newwebsite's business grew over 500% last year. That doesn't happen from being a bad host. Most everybody stays who sign up. Some do leave for a variety of reason but never because of lack of support or because downtime.

I didn't post here to spam the board. I posted because my company's name and reputation was in question and to set some things straight. I intimatly know what it cost to be a host. I own all the equipment and its all paid for. Nothing is colocated and nothing is outsourced except for Larry helping me with marketing. I am just a small company and if I can afford to offer hosting cheap then you know the big companies can offer it too.

$27 for 9 domains and 5 gigs of bandwidth and 200 megs of disk space, ridicules. You are being gouged. If it makes you feel better for us to charge you more to host with us then that can be arranged.

6 hours for a new domain to be set up? That's incredible. Incredibly slow. With Newwebsite there is no request made for a domain to be set up. You set it up yourself. The control panel was designed by my customers. They told me what they wanted and I wrote. It caters to people with multiple domains. Also fully supports sub domains with separate stats. Don't wait for overpriced Cpanel.

Also we have an affiliate program set up that pays 20% recurring.

If you want to try Newwebsite it will only cost you $29 to find out if its worth it or not. Its only $29. That is not much of a risk. If you cancel in the first week you get your money back.

There are plenty of hosts out there I am sure that offer quality service for a good price. Newwebsite is only one of them but certainly is one of them.

Floyd Morrissette
    www.newwebsite.com

Another good one is www.vervehosting.com (clean link, no affiliation, just a happy customer).

Range of plans (ranging from $5-$40 per developed domain per month), and I've been happy with the customer service when I've had questions (and I'm in a mid-to-lower plan range, not upper escelon).

SirenSong
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Thanks for popping over Floyd ( I had asked him to respond here). I would like to also point out that NewWebsite.com does have a private message board for its customers as well.

Now if a hosting company charges you $25 for every new domain or subdomain you set up (which costs them ZERO) and you are willing to pay it then I guess that is your problem if you want to throw money out the window.

Ask yourself this question - how much is the raw cost to a hosting company to offer an additional 50MB of space to a customer for $10 extra a month ($120 a year). Assume that they pick up a 60GB hard drive for $100 that they replace once a year for example. Answer - only pennies. Is that price gouging that is occuring? Please do the math and realize that disk space is extra cheap and is getting cheaper.

I guess what I am really trying to say is that sometimes a paradigm shift in thinking is needed regarding your hosting situation. Low price does not mean poor service or support. Take a closer look at some of the low price hosting companies out there and don't prejudge a company because of low prices, disk space, etc... and don't assume that quality service isn't there.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>mpany don't place restrictions on how much disk space is used. Disk space is very cheap. If a customer has a $29 multiple domain account and they say the need 60 gigs of disk space, which we know most people will never need, then we just buy a hard drive for that customer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hey floyd I'll take an account with 2 terabytes of space, please. I have a lot of pr0n, err files.

please have it ready within the next 5 mins too.

Thanks.

BTW, talk about price gouging, you're charging $199 for a shotty 1.2 gig dedicated server with a measly 40 gig of bandwidth?

----
    -J
    Up in the air in revenue share

Hmmmm... Joseph

I'm not sure if Floyd will reply to you and wouldn't recommend him doing it either. All I can say is that we are constantly gaining new customers and affiliates because of our service and pricings. The majority of our business is the multiple domain plans/dedicated servers and we are experiencing great growth.

Floyd is a great guy who provides tremendous customer service judging from my 2+ years experience with him. My belief in NewWebsite.com and Floyd is why I am aiding in the marketing/affiliate efforts for the company.

So people here can either listen to my recommendations of being more more open to low cost hosting plans from various companies (including ours) .... or they can listen to your "professional" opinion. It's their choice.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org

Floyd, that was a really great sales pitch.

Besides that, have you ever considered copywriting for a fee?

Edited to add: I am a sucker for good ad copy. Will really have to consider trying it out.

- - - - -

Now see the vervehosting is something a bit more reasonable -- in my opinion -- for an affiliate site. For only $5 a month, you get 25 Mb of disk space and 3 Gb of bandwidth. That seems about right to me. Newwebsite would cost $10 a month for 200 Mb of disk space and 2 Gb of bandwidth. But there many be other benefits like the message board that may add extra value. I'm just trying to find a balance between low cost and reliability.

ABW Ambassador
    I really like Pair. For $5 a month you don't get much besides space and bandwidth, but it is reliable and well run.

For ultra cheapy, I am satisfied with infodoma, hostica, and doteasy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpikeDo:
    Now see the vervehosting is something a bit more reasonable -- in my opinion -- for an affiliate site. For only $5 a month, you get 25 Mb of disk space and 3 Gb of bandwidth. That seems about right to me. Newwebsite would cost $10 a month for 200 Mb of disk space and 2 Gb of bandwidth. But there many be other benefits like the message board that may add extra value. I'm just trying to find a balance between low cost and reliability.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We have very few customers on the $10 plan at NewWebsite.com to be honest as most go for the $29 multiple domain plan. I think you will find that the majority of affiliate marketers here have a # of websites to increase and diversify their income. It's something to think about if you have only one domain now.

Larry Wentz
    www.AffiliateNetwork.org

Joseph if you can upload it I can provide the space. I didn't realize that pr0n and err files were web related. We are not offering to back up your hard drive for $29. That is another business we have for off site back ups for disaster recovery. If that is what you need we can talk price for that if you like. Let us know exactly how much space you need.

Ummm...

Doesn't this belong in "Domains and Hosting"?

EasySpace...

Doc

"Half this game is ninety percent mental." -- Phillies Manager, Danny Ozark

do it right and get a server. 100 bucks a month will get you enough to last you forever!

If you are just starting out, I recommend westhost.com ... I have been through many,mnay hosts over the past few years. They are the best (besides having your own server).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast