Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Jury Duty...
    Out of the hundreds of potential jurors called in to the Cook County Courts this morning, I'm the one that got shortlisted onto a 12-person jury serving on a 3-5 day trial. Which I will faithfully do as it is my civic duty and one that I take pride in.

However, that also means I will be completely offline until next Monday (Veteran's Day), and possibly next Tuesday.

No phone, no computer, enough cause for mental duress right there. Man, I'm already starting to twitch.

So, should any of you have an urgent matter in the meantime, please feel free to contact out lovely account manager, Sarah. You can email her: sarah(at)shareasale.com.
    best,
    Carolyn
    ShareASale Client Services
    Y!: SAS_CTang
    e: ctang(at)shareasale.com

I got stuck having to be on the grand jury here for four months last year.

Use my motto - hang them high and use a strong rope so it won't break.

And wouldn't you know - 9 out of every 10 cases we had to hear were about drug use and drug dealing.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    ouch... we'll miss you.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    No phone, no computer, enough cause for mental duress right there. Man, I'm already starting to twitch.
    I had jury duty last year and the jury assembly room where I spent almost 2 full days had a couple of computers for the jurors' use at a very modest $5/hr for internet access. You could use that hour, or as much time as you wanted to pay for, in segments during the day whenever you had free time.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Twitter the case details J/K

We'll miss ya Pookie!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    CT, I feel your pain, but are you being sequestered or you get to leave each night. Don't worry you can catch up on abw at night, we wont tell, talk politics, fight, or link to current events.

I was in one of those about 6yrs ago but luckily it only lasted 12hrs, the whole day and was over quick.

I've been selected to serve on a couple of trials over the last several years. The longest was an 8-day murder trial. And, we did hang 'em high. Er...ah...hang her high.

I was proud to serve and do my civic duty. And I am happy to see you have the same attitude. As an "old" social studies teacher I do my jury duty when called and never miss an election (which we had one of here today in Baltimore).

Cheers, and c'ya in a few...

- Bill
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Great attitude Carolyn, but what else would we expect from such a fine upstanding American

Having served a few times, I have some useful suggestions that should help you along, especially if you are appointed jury forewoman, which I am sure will be the case.

1.) watch the defendants eyes as testimony and cross of witnesses is going on. If the defendant looks "up" or rolls his/her eyes while their head is up, s/he is guilty as sin!!

2.) if the defendant is dressed really nice, s/he is guilty. If s/he is dressed inappropriately for court, another sure sign of guilt!!

3.) if the defendant speaks softly or in a humble / meek voice, s/he is hiding the truth and deserves to be convicted.

4.) note whether the defendant makes good eye contact with witnesses during testimony. If s/he does, note whether s/he is passing subtle messages such as attempts to intimidate or frighten the witness. Glares, scowls, sarcastically laughing or scoffing off something the witness says. If any of this is apparent, s/he is as guilty as charged.

5.) if the defendant leans over to his/her attorney to whisper something while a witness is on the stand, they are either:
    a.) suffering from AADD
    b.) talking about sports
    c.) figuring out where to meet for a beer later
    d.) attempting to distract or intimidate the witness
    e.) making fun of the judge or jury
    f.) showing disrespect for the process
    g.)all of the above.

In any or all of these instances, the defendant is undoubtedly guilty. Of course there could be a rare, isolated exception in which the defendant is telling the attorney s/he has to drain the reservoir, but hey, there's attrition in everything and you can't spend your life worrying about every little possible exception. Odds are in your favor it is one of the above, so don't worry about it. Besides, you are needed back at SaS and ABW, so one person's future is not all that big a deal considering the circumstance.

6.) if a leather glove is involved, the prosecutor insists that the defendant tries it on, and the defendant makes all kinds of contorted faces while acting like it doesn't fit, DON'T be fooled. They either shrunk the glove or injected growth hormones in the hand of the defendant!! Hah - they aren't getting away with that one again!!

7.) if the prosecutor really, truly, sincerely believes that the defendant is guilty, they are!! Especially if they don't speak fluent English. People with accents are generally guilty, so go with the CW on this one and chances are that you made the right decision.

8.) if it is a long jury deliberation, be sure to advise fellow jurors that Macy's closes at 5 and you have some Christmas shopping to do. That should hurry things along.

There is a lot of other useful advise I could share with you, but some things are best learned from the experience, so good luck, take aspirin with you, and hopefully it is a short ordeal.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I had to serve about 15 years ago. It was a one week trial of a rapist who claimed he had two little Martians telling him what to do. A most interesting experience. I was proud to serve, but was a bit unnerved when they asked each of us to stand up and give our name and address, especially in front of the accused. I thought that a bit odd.

My wife was asked to serve a couple of weeks ago but they did not need her. Even though, she found it to be a very educational experience as the judge was very talkative and explained in great detail how every thing works and also gave a lot of history of the law as well as a lot of history of the courthouse.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Maybe you'll only have to serve for one day I was called for federal jury duty about 4-5 years ago after a couple weeks into a large project that I was the project manager for. The company legal dept. got it deferred because of the project and the court said they would put my name back into the pool in 3 months. They said that didn't mean I would be picked again but just that my name would be back in the pool.

Well, 1 day after being back in the pool, my name was picked again-go figure. Since I was in charge of the company's Internet systems, there was a lot of planning needed to take the required time off. The court's string of postponements didn't make this any easier.

I ended up serving 2 days going through jury selections. Part of the trial was about allegations of police brutality against an accused drug dealer but since I was a police dispatcher many years ago and still have cop friends, they didn't think I was a good fit and released me.

It was an interesting experience and something everyone should be able to do at least once.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

A joke in Reader's Digest once stated, "Do you really want to put your fate into the hands of 12 people not smart enough to get out of jury duty?" and that always made me laugh.

I've only been called twice (got out both times due to college and childbirth) and was pretty down about it. I really wanted to do it! So many people complain about jury duty but it's nice to see everyone here understanding it's importance. Hopefully I will get called one day soon!

And Alan- I was about to go bananas over your comment until I realized you were kidding! My mouth just about hit the desk while first reading your comment then I burst out laughing once I saw where you were going with it. I'm just embarrassed it took me as long as it did to realize you were being facetious.

Anyways, take notes! Maybe you can write a book about the trial and make millions!

Don't they know you have a big company to run?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Next time, feel free to lease Jesse...

The single parent/sole proprieter exception works every time

I always get out of Jury Duty by Smiling really big, and answering the questions correctly.

If you seem over eager they send you home

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingfortips
    I was about to go bananas over your comment until I realized you were kidding! My mouth just about hit the desk while first reading your comment then I burst out laughing once I saw where you were going with it. I'm just embarrassed it took me as long as it did to realize you were being facetious.
    Happy you figured it out LFT. But I bet that the defendant over the next few days will be wondering why Carolyn is constantly fixated on his/her eyes and body language!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Uh, Alan, uh, was KIDDING??

OhMyGosh! Judge! JUDGE! Uh, I wasn't serious about that jury ballot. Can I change my vote?

Ah, well, I never liked the guy anyway. 10-15 years -- he probably had it coming fer one reason or another.
    Generate more fake news.

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    My Jury Duty trick is to try and reschedule for a day before a three day weekend. Judges and lawyers are itching to get the heck out of there and to there vacation houses in the cape. I have never even been part of a jury selection because the Judge usually takes off early(like before noon), that is if they even come in at all.
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

I served on a jury for a week, a year or two ago. It was a great experience. We put a very bad guy behind bars for a very long time.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread