Pen Name Vs Real Name Marketing
    Hi Folks

I guess the big question in affiliate marketing is whether to use one's own real name or create pen names when doing reviews, article writings etc for different niches whilst promoting somone elses products.

Some say yes its essential while others say no just use your own name.

Any feeback on why which one is better to use with what ever you've seen works best is much appreciated!

Many thanks

If you stand behind what you write, there really isn't a question besides privacy concerns.

BTW - anonymity is encouraged on ABW to protect your affiliate sites.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

For a long time, I never saw any potential benefit in anonymity. I certainly have a number of web sites that don't display my name or contact info, but my ownership is public in WHOIS.

I pride myself on being open and honest, and using a pseudonym for online activity seemed deceptive. In addition, readers are (or ought to be) less trusting of comments made anonymously or pseudonymously; if you know who's writing then you can evaluate the validity of their claims more effectively.

On the other hand, I've had my some of my sites copied frequently, by people who may have copied the site because they know I earn money from affiliate marketing. If I'd used a pseudonym or private registration, and hidden my ownership of the site, I'd probably see less copying of my sites (though the "scrapers" still get everything).

And since I got married, I've become much more sensitive about privacy, helping me to understand why people prefer to act "pseudonymously."

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    For a long time, I never saw any potential benefit in anonymity. I certainly have a number of web sites that don't display my name or contact info, but my ownership is public in WHOIS.

And since I got married, I've become much more sensitive about privacy, helping me to understand why people prefer to act "pseudonymously."
    I created a pen/Internet name and a persona to go with it back in 1996.
    I've kept the same ISP and e-mail consistently throughout that time.
    Anyone can see use of this name through Wayback Machine and through Usenet.
    Part of the name is very real to me as it was my confirmation name, actually the whole name is "real to me" and I actually like it better than my "real one "
    I project a colorful personality on the Internet but I am somewhat different in person. The Internet has always been more of a hobby for me than anything else and I want to separate my Internet persona from "who I am in real life."

I don't sell products directly, I affiliate with companies; if someone didn't get a shipment on time from Macy's [as an example of an affiliated merchant], then that's an issue that needs to be directed to Macy's.

My WHOIS is private *but* if the matter is important, I can be contacted through 1&1.

Btw, Mark may be a married man (and his candid honesty is refreshing), but I am single, I've never been married, plus I don't have any children so if any eligible bachelor out there would like to go through the "1&1 WHOIS address system" to propose to me, I would consider that a good use of the 1&1 contact information
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

When it comes to writing articles and presenting yourself as an industry expert I think it is important to use your real name.

If it is just whether or not to put your name on your website or how to register your domain, then it can be private if you have any concerns.

Also, I think it depends on if your name is part of your marketing strategy. Do you want people to know who you are or use your services because you have built a strong reputation for yourself?

For example: I have three sites - 2 are what I guess would be called traditional affiliate sites in that they have a niche and drive traffic for the purpose of generating leads. This has nothing to do with who I am personally, so they are registered privately and the e-mails are more site specific and do not include my name. 1 site is where I am marketing myself as an expert in a certain field. I want my articles to have credibility and I want people to contact me to use my services. So my name is on the site, in the e-mail address and listed publicly on the domain registration.

Does that help?

Sheri

This is interesting, thanks for all the feedback ,I know this is totally a personal preference thing and for some it just makes total sense to use a pen name, however

Some people want to separate their niches using different names (so not coming across as the jack of all trades) or don't want people to know their real name at all, and some want to use their own names exclusively (for branding purposes) because the more articles they write, even on different topics, the more credibility their name carries when people see them as an author.

Although on a marketing point of view surely there is a better one over the other when it comes to branding, more search results, and article marketing.

I agree with what some of you say about not trying to be the master of all trades as people wont take you seriously enough, but what if you are knowledgeable in three different niches and have nothing to hide?

For some reason it makes more sense to me to use ones own name even if its in various niches (via you are knowledgeable in them) , but please do give me your feedback if you think differently

Here is what i think

I believe its essential to build a brand recognition (using ones name), so if you have the same name in various niches then potential customers will view you as a jack of all trades and an master of none.

But use of several pen names also makes your branding more difficult
    You want a lot of search engine results for your brand. If you try to promote several different brands, you will be less successful at branding than someone who only promotes one brand.

Does this make sense ? For some it might be the answer, however it seems like it only applies to people that find your articles by typing in your name or your pen name though.

Most people find your articles due to the generic search terms they use in the article, so they have no idea you also wrote an article about something else.

I would guess using ones name all the time gets you more search results for your brand too.

Also

What if you want to create your own product down the road for a niche that you have been using a pen name?

and what if someone wants to know more about you and your history, they would have to know all your pen names to trace all your niches, plus each pen name might not have that much history to them like a real name would.

Let me know what you think on these thoughts.

Many Thanks

Morgan

There's nothing wrong with using a nom de plume. Ann Landers' real name was Esther "Eppie" Pauline Friedman Lederer.

Pick something and be consistent.

Go with your comfort level and go step by step (don't register multiples at once unless you are a whiz at creating characters/personas).

If you use your real name, you can expect additional unwanted phone calls.
    Last edited by Rhia7; November 7th, 2007 at 05:27 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

If you're trying to become an authority or build credibility, which can lead to more sales for your busines, i would use my real name.

Think about it this way:
    when shopping online - when you read reviews, would you be more likely to buy from a site/person who uses there real name or a no name site/person?

I personally like to know who I'm buying from.

I blog right now under a pen name. However, I'm strongly considering switching to my real name. For blogging especially, making a name for yourself means promoting your personal brand, your personality, etc... That's a lot easier and more consistant if you use a real name. I'll probably be switching within the month.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

If you want credibility, use your own name. You can become an expert in your niche, and then others will quote you and help you grow. Hiding is only good for protecting your identity like places where you're just talking to and about competitors, and don't want them to mess with you.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread