Online Marketing Consultant
    Washington D.C.
    How to make a sales call
    Someone asked me to post a link to a page on one of my sites about making a sales call. I wrote this a while back but I guess it fits in to adding to your content and letting your traffic know why they should use your link, or how a network can pitch a merchant, a merchant can pitch an affiliate, etc...

I'll post a bit of the post in this thread but the rest is on my site. I don;t want it to look like duplicate content so that is why I am only posting a bit of it here. If this isn't within the guidelines, then please feel free to erase or modify it Mods.

Thanks and hope it helps....PS. don't read the other posts in this section unless you have a strong stomach hahahah.....

How to Make an Effective Sales Call and Pitch
    I received a phone call from a company (I will not mention their name) and the girl said hi, I have 6.5 million Christians. My first reaction was to say, "And where do you keep them because our offices are full, or wow, you have been a busy girl, haven't you?" Instead I said "congratulations." That pretty much caught her off guard. Anyways, she then goes on to say well would your company &%&%&% be interested in 6.5 million Christians? Again I thought of a ton of things to say, but then corrected her by letting her know she had called a different branch of the corporation I work for.
    She then said well what company are you with and I told her. She said, "ohh good, I was supposed to call you next. Are you interested in 6.5 million Christians?" And I said I would love 6.5 million Christians, but I just don't have the space in my apartment. Then I asked her if she had visited the website for the company I worked for (we are an internet based company and do all transactions and everything through the web) and she said no. So here is where I finally said, I strongly suggest you look at the company before you call, we only do B2B sales and unfortunately have no need for your list. So here is the rundown of what went wrong from her behalf and what she could have done, just like any other sales professional should do, before you make the contact.

1. This is part of your marketing department's responsibility to you. We'll stick with a list company for now. Saying we have 6.5 million Christians means you have something that could be of value, however you have not helped me see any value or uniqueness of the list.
    Ask your marketing department to break down the list and define it better than just 6.5 million Christians. Are they Christians that like to travel, 6.5 million Christians who have median incomes of 65K and up, are they 6.5 million Christians who own small to mid sized companies, are they 6.5 million Christians who believe in gay marriage and fight for the cause?
    Once you have broken the list up into something that defines who and what they are, you will then have some meat added to your product or service. Now, since the company I work for is in the B2B realm and targets lets say small business, If she would have said, Hi, I have a list of 6.5 million Christian small business owners in the USA who have all opted in to receive advertisements related to their businesses, I would have been interested. It defines what the list is comprised of and helps to show how it is relevant to my needs.
    A different example is an association here in the DC area. They are a good association, but they lack the meat in their pitches. It is the gay and lesbian journalists something or other. I was sitting with someone from this group who is now helping with memberships and I was curious about them because a lot of my background is within media and newspapers. I said I had never heard of them but I have a lot of gay journalist friends, why would they want to join your association? The response I got was, we have the largest network of gay and lesbian journalists in the USA or the World (I'll stick with world just to make it easier). One of the two, but that is not important. What is important is that I said, "and.....Why would that benefit me?" He just kept saying "because we have the largest network of .... in the world” What they need to do is to add on the meat.
    Some of the ways they can do this are to say, we have the largest ........ World and with your membership you will gain access to the internal network where you can find jobs, post articles and find articles and topics others might be interested in. You can find support from your peers across the country if you are running into issues. You will get a discount to our annual convention where you can meet your peers and learn about new trends within journalism and hear from some of the more famous gay journalists and writers out there in the world of media. I could go on and on helping to create benefits. But at the table, he still just came up with the same boring answer, "We have the largest network blah blah boring blah."
    My point is that to give a successful sales pitch and call, have something to add onto the first statement, put on the meat and let the person you are pitching see a major value to your product or service instead of making a blind and general statement which has no added value or useful information.

2. Look at the person or company you are calling before hand. If they are B2B, and you have a B2C product, chances are they are not going to be interested. Save your time and work on companies that you really have a chance at landing.
    Another important reason to research or at least look at the company before hand is so you do not sound stupid on the phone. If you go to a company's web-site and just make a few observations like they mainly deal with electronics or that they donate money to a charity each year, when you call them, you can use that in your pitch. Instead of your call starting with, We have 6.5 million Christians end of statement. You could say:

Hi, I was looking at your wholesale shop online and I noticed that you sell widgets as well as donate to this and that charity. We happen to have a list of 6.5 million Christians who also enjoy doing charity work. Because your company is already donating money to this charity, you will already have them more interested in your widgets because they know they are dealing with a company that cares.
    In my opinion, this is a much better statement as you are showing that you evaluated and look at the company before calling, you are complimenting them by bringing up some of the things they do and you are providing a reason why the list would be particularly valuable to the company.

Then it goes on a bit more....anyways hope it helps,

Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

To promote something to your prospects, you must offer them something that solve their problem. Don't waste your time to promote your products to unrelated prospects.

This one is great article, thanks for sharing

Online Marketing Consultant
    Washington D.C.
    no sweat =0)
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread