Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I don't know which forum is the proper place for this, so feel free to move.

The website http://www.com-coupon.com is taking merchants names and putting them in their domain name which then redirects to com-coupon's website. A lot of well known merchants names are being used. Here are a few:

http://overstock.com-coupon.com
    http://sears.com-coupon.com
    http://priceline.com-coupon.com
    http://dell.com-coupon.com
    http://buy.com-coupon.com
    http://ebags.com-coupon.com
    http://cooking.com-coupon.com

I know of several affiliates who use this practice and have often wondered if it is right or wrong. I suppose it really comes down to if the merchant will allow it or not. What's everyones opinion on this?

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

I feel like it is a trademark infringement. If I owned one of those companies, I would attempt to stop it.

I think it weakens the brand recognition and site recognition of the companies that have worked so hard to build it. Especially if the site looks bad, or gives the customer the feeling of being misled.

I will act now. I will act now. I will act now.

Obvious SE Spammer, look at their links page
    http://www.com-coupon.com/links.asp

It sure seems like infringement to me. I remember when Pud (best known for f*****company.com) was forced to change his site that listed hot and cold items from amazon.com from amazonscan.com to junglescan.com.

It's definitely infringement!!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I agree with the others. Plus, it's purposely set up to take advantage of the viewer's tendency to read that setup as two different domains (as opposed to subdomain/domain)! The eye sees merchant.com and coupon.com as two, distinct, sets. Rather tricky--and an infringement, except in the very unlikely chance that site has gotten a license to use the marks in that way.

-Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose honest arrogance and have seen no occasion to change. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Another spammy coupon trickster site. The BHO "incent" Dupers are making weasels out of the wannabees.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    I have made Shawn at Overstock aware of this in an email on another matter, so I'll be interested to see if they remain an Overstock affiliate.

Thank you for the heads up - this is definitely not appropriate.

Does anyone know who this person is?

Please let me know and in the meantime, I will be attempting to contact them.

Best,
    Samantha

Looks like affiliate id:# siteId=uT9jEyfGKR4

Show me the Big Bucks!

Samantha,

Domain Name.......... com-coupon.com
    Creation Date........ 2002-10-22
    Registration Date.... 2002-10-22
    Expiry Date.......... 2003-10-22
    Organisation Name.... Ariel Schwartz
    Organisation Address. 85 Derech Namir st.
    Organisation Address.
    Organisation Address. Tel-Aviv
    Organisation Address. 62301
    Organisation Address. NA
    Organisation Address. ISRAEL

Admin Name........... Ariel Schwartz
    Admin Address........ 85 Derech Namir st.
    Admin Address........
    Admin Address........ Tel-Aviv
    Admin Address........ 62301
    Admin Address........ NA
    Admin Address........ ISRAEL
    Admin Email.......... arielschwartz@yahoo.com
    Admin Phone.......... 97251340064
    Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ Verio Hostmaster
    Tech Address......... 5050 Blue Lake Dr.
    Tech Address.........
    Tech Address......... Boca Raton
    Tech Address......... 33431
    Tech Address......... FL
    Tech Address......... UNITED STATES
    Tech Email........... hostmaster@VERIO-HOSTING.COM
    Tech Phone........... 888-663-6648
    Tech Fax.............
    Name Server.......... ns11a.VERIO-WEB.COM
    Name Server.......... ns11b.VERIO-WEB.COM

</font></p>

Wasn't I just bashed a short while ago for "outing" affiliates" and told that I should just worry about my own site and not other peoples?
    This person is obviously an affiliate.
    So what makes this post any different than those that I made about DealCatcher or http://coupons-coupon-codes.com/?
    They were doing this same type of thing yet people start attacking me!

Connie Berg
    http://www.flamingoworld.com

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So what makes this post any different than those that I made about DealCatcher or http://coupons-coupon-codes.com/?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Talk about 'bashing'! Geesh, you just couldn't resist an opportunity to attack those affiliates one more time?!

No, I wasn't bashing them this time, I was saying that I got bashed for "outing" affiliates and here we are with someone else doing the same thing and not getting bashed for it.
    Why is it ok sometimes and not others?

Connie Berg

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko you said in Feb:
    "Yikole and all,

There will be no more singling out of any affiliate sites allowed on ABW.

We are working together to learn and earn more, not find ways to undermine each other!

Ban warnings will be issued if this happens again!"

I agree with you when you said this about a month ago. If you see a site like this notify the merchant and let them handle this.

If all the girls lived up in trees, what a good climber Trust would be.

Thank you Trust for the reminder of what was said before about not singling out sites anymore.
    I got really frustrated for being bashed for singling out an affiliate site, and then all of a sudden everyone is here doing it again, without getting bashed.
    I too thought there wasn't supposed to be any more of this.

Connie Berg

ABW Ambassador
    From the ABW Rules

Affiliate Marketing Chat Rules
    5. Any Identity or site revealing of any sort will result in an IP Ban.

ABW Ambassador
    Pete, as indicated, the rule you posted applies to Chat. The forums are not Chat.

Haiko, maybe the rule needs to be clarified for us. Since you posted the WHOIS info., that would indicate this topic is within the acceptable guidelines of the forum rules.

BFT,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Haiko, maybe the rule needs to be clarified for us. Since you posted the WHOIS info., that would indicate this topic is within the acceptable guidelines of the forum rules.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you continued to read the rules, the part that relates to the Forums is:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Member Identity or URL Exposing

Any member who posts another member's url or urls to their site(s), their real name or other personal information without the owners prior approval, shall immediately be banned.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Notice the MEMBER caveat!

</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, Haiko, I did read that, but it is inconsistent with what is attributed to you above which doesn't indicate members only. That's why I thought it would be good to clarify.

I do think discussions like this are useful to the ABW userbase. While it's unfortunate, there are affiliate managers who play favorites and do not enforce their own rules, so addressing these violations directly to the merchant may not always result in action, but if that same AM saw discussion here and that it's a concern to more than just the one person who brought it to his/her attention, they may take action that they otherwise wouldn't.

I know of several AMs who posted here last fall who said they would terminate any affiliate who used parasites, yet several of those same affiliate managers loved all the sales they were getting from Ebates and did nothing when they knew full well that Ebates was in violation.

So my point is that having these issues discussed in an open forum, this allows everyone to make their own decisions if they want to be affiliated with a merchant who allows unethical behavior.

Again, you seem to agree as relates to this topic, but a further clarification might avoid the infighting that happened here.

ABW Ambassador
    Not trying to start anything, just trying to get clarification. Haiko you said:

"There will be no more singling out of any affiliate sites allowed on ABW. We are working together to learn and earn more, not find ways to undermine each other!
    Ban warnings will be issued if this happens again!"

You said ANY affiliate site. That is an affilaite site, the rules should be more clearer and apply to everyone. Also that site could be a member's site, who knows. If you have a problem with someone's affiliate site, contact the merchant. I personally don't like the site mentioned, but i don't worry about other sites.

If all the girls lived up in trees, what a good climber Trust would be.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    First, yes it is trademark infringement which has already been upheld in the courts more than once. I said this in another thread, but I'll say it again here since I can't remember which thread. Trademark laws are for the protection of the person holding the trademark, just like copyright laws. It is up to the person holding the rights what they do and do not deem acceptable. Therefore, it is up to the merchant to decide if they want to allow the use of their trademarked name in someone else's domain. If they do not, then they have a legal ground to stop the action and to sue civilly for puniative damages.

Anyone who uses such techniques are opening themselves up to possible legal action if they have not received expressed permission from the owner of the trademark prior to such use.

As far as the url exposure, this is really getting ridiculous. The TOS of this board are quite clear on this issue. NO url and identity exposing! With close to 8200 registered members of this board, there is no way for you to know if the owner of that site is a registered user or not.

Yes, it is a issue worthy of discussion. But an example could be given without posting the actual URL.

The truth of the matter is, if the merchant doesn't care if their trademark is used this way, there is nothing to be done. The have sole discretion as to how their trademarks are used. You may not like the practice, I may not like the practice, but if the merchant doesn't care nothing is being done that is illegal. In instances like there, it should be privately brought to the attention of the legal department of the merchant's whose names are being used.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Am I missing something here. If ABW cannot back up examples of affiliates crossing over the legal boundries then we are neutered. Our fight for the parasites and imposing CoC rulings and enforcement involve exposing crooked affiliates (ie. eBates.com or WhenU.com). We complain that the networks allow merchants to spamm us with offers, yet many of the spammers sending out 7 billion spams daily are affiliate e-mail marketers setting their cookies. We uncover cookie setting popup hellholes, who trash our conversion ratios, or the PPCSE tricksters in our midsts that use SE spamming techniques to leap frog the likes of Connie to their trashy redirect coupon sites.

Who's going to complain to the open community to warn the sleezy affiliates and merchants alike if we can't call them to task? I doubt the merchant AM's or networks are up to the task. The "Tricks for Clicks & Cookies" crowd are now immune to critism as it is politically incorrect to expose them here to ridicule.

Jeez I take back all my rants on the sleezebag merchants, network problems and greedy affiliate and AM tricksters and request a case of Pig Perfume to cover their tracks. Please refrain from posts pin pointing web site copiers, new BHO parasites or those quick buck artists within our ranks. We might hurt their plans as they all endeavor to play by the published rules and good examples of our steady group of posters. We lead the misguided by example, but refrain from showing examples of specific abusers. Damn ..does anyone have a ebook on how to liberalize my thinking?

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BiddingForTravel.com:
    I do think discussions like this are useful to the ABW userbase.

Again, you seem to agree as relates to this topic, but a further clarification might avoid the infighting that happened here.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think such discussions are usefull at all, my "agreement" only relates to the obvious TM infringement and scamming of end users via this set up. I despise this BS! and I think scum like the owner of this Domain get what they truly deserve.

I am answering kinda left left-handedly because I didn't stop this thread, and to Connie and the group I apologize for that! I was doing a few things when I was posting today, but that is not an excuse and Trust, I thank you for the reminder.

BiddingForTravel ... you have a ban warning, next time you single out any affiliate site, you will be banned. ABW is not the battlefield for this sort of horse hockey! Contact the merchant(s) directly and let them act accordingly.

Respectfully,

</font></p>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast