Angry Target Playing Favorites Re: Black Friday Ad
    This morning my site GottaDeal.com along with many other deal sites (such as Fatwallet and Slickdeals) posted the Target Black Friday ad on our sites.

Early this afternoon with zero previous warning I received an automated e-mail from Performics stating that my relationship with Target had been deactivated. When I inquired I was told that posting the ad violated one of the terms about only getting offers through Performics.

Yet tonight, I check these other sites and the ad is still posted and their affiliate links are still working as usual where mine were immediately deactivated.

Seems that Target is playing favorites with this one. These other sites are violating the same terms they accused me of, and yet they are not facing termination. Either we all get terminated or none of us do.

It's also pretty ironic that Target actually contacted me a couple months ago about buying all available ad space exclusively for our Black Friday mini-site. So they knew what the site was about and wanted to use our traffic to promote their site, but now they are somehow surprised when their ad is posted.

Of course they won't respond to any of this, but I figured I'd post it so others can see what they are doing. If they want to terminate me, that's fine, but do it across the board and don't give other sites carte blanche when it comes to violating the terms just because they send a lot of traffic your way.

ABW Ambassador
    Have you repeatedly violated their terms?
    Could there be reasons why they hand picked you and not others?
    I am curious as to how they acted on you and not others

ABW Ambassador
    Why are you guys posting Black Friday ads when it's not Black Friday yet? Most merchants don't want you posting that stuff early. I was checking your site:

"In other, more disturbing news, we received a cease & desist order from OfficeMax's lawyers demanding that their ad be removed by the end of the day tomorrow (Friday). We have no choice but to remove the ad, so if you'd like to save it to your computer, do so before tomorrow afternoon."

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust

"In other, more disturbing news, we received a cease & desist order from OfficeMax's lawyers demanding that their ad be removed by the end of the day tomorrow (Friday). We have no choice but to remove the ad, so if you'd like to save it to your computer, do so before tomorrow afternoon."
    That speaks volumes. Doesn't it!

There's a big difference between just posting an ad on your site and running to cnn to get a story about it. Sure it's good for traffc, but you'll lose merchants that way.

ABW Ambassador
    Black Friday may come 3 weeks early
    "Wal-Mart has started to discount more than 15,000 items and began its Black Friday specials on some products including a $348 Acer laptop three weeks earlier in an aggressive bid to lure holiday shoppers."

Market Watch

ABW Ambassador
    Wal-Mart: Stop leaking Black Friday deals
    Retailer is threatening legal action if Web sites leak its highly-popular Black Friday circular before Nov. 19.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/18/news...ckfridaylegal/

rematt, the letter was walmart, and this is target.

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    rematt, the letter was walmart, and this is target.
    Thanks RaellyBigGuy, Original message deleted until I have a chance to re-word.
    -rematt
    Last edited by rematt; November 9th, 2007 at 03:29 PM.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    It happens every year, cease and desist orders, threats of legal action from merchants to sites posting stuff early. It was the first time I ever heard of Fatwallet, when Wal-Mart was thinking of pursuing claims against them, got a lot of press 5 years ago.

http://www.news.com/2100-1023-976296.html

I realize it's pretty competitive and sites want to be the first to post and have the deals up but it's a risk and the sites know the risk and accept it when they do, knowing most merchants (not all) don't want that stuff posted early. So it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Wal-Mart: Stop leaking Black Friday deals
    Retailer is threatening legal action if Web sites leak its highly-popular Black Friday circular before Nov. 19.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/10/18/news...ckfridaylegal/
    How is it a leak if they are running ads on TV for that??????
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

ABW Ambassador
    If it's stuff they're running themselves or on their site, that's fine. Then there are things that aren't supposed to be released yet.

You know I just read that one link I posted all the way thru and he's in that one too.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread