Many in the pro-war camp use the 9/11 terror attacks to justify war against Iraq.
    Here are some examples of USA sponsored terrorism. Every country in the world has participated in terrorism of some form. We need to eliminate all violence and all terrorism, no matter where it comes from.

1. Nicaragua in the 1980s was subjected to violent assault by the U.S. Tens of thousands of people died. The country was substantially destroyed, it may never recover. The effects on the country are much more severe even than the tragedies in New York. They didn’t respond by setting off bombs in Washington. They went to the World Court, which issued a judgment in their favor condemning the U.S. for what it called “unlawful use of force,” which means international terrorism, ordering the U.S. to desist and pay substantial reparations. The U.S. dismissed the court judgment with contempt, responding with an immediate escalation of the attack. So Nicaragua then went to the Security Council, which passed a resolution calling on the U.S. to observe international law. The U.S. vetoed it. They went to the General Assembly, where they got a similar resolution that passed near–unanimously, which the U.S. and Israel opposed two years in a row (joined once by El Salvador). The U.S. is the only country that was condemned for international terrorism by the World Court and that rejected a Security Council resolution calling on states to observe international law.

2. The car-bombing in Beirut in 1985 outside a Mosque, timed to kill the maximum number of civilians, with 80 dead and 200 casualties, aimed at a Muslim Sheikh, who escaped.

3. The U.S. invaded Panama, in blatant violation of international law, shelled a lower-class civilian neighborhood of Panama City for hours, broadcasting commands for the people to surrender in English, not Spanish, and then bulldozed most of the estimated four thousand (mostly civilian) dead into unmarked mass graves.

4. In 1998, in one of the minor episodes of US terrorism, Clinton destroyed half the pharmaceutical supplies in Sudan and the facilities for replenishing them, with a casualty toll that must be enormous, though no one knows, because the US blocked a UN inquiry and Western intellectuals evidently are not concerned about such trivialities: similar attacks in France, or Israel, or the US would presumably lead to a different reaction, though the comparison is unfair, because these are rich countries with ample supplies that can easily be replenished.

And it supported much worse terror:

5. In the 1990s, the US provided 80% of the arms for Turkey's vicious counterinsurgency campaign against Kurds in its southeast region, killing tens of thousands, driving 2-3 million out of their homes, leaving 3500 villages destroyed (10 times Kosovo under NATO bombs), and with every imaginable atrocity. The arms flow had increased sharply in 1984 as Turkey launched its terrorist attack and began to decline to previous levels only in 1999, when the atrocities had achieved their goal. In 1999, Turkey fell from its position as the leading recipient of US arms (Israel-Egypt aside), replaced by Colombia, the worst human rights violator in the hemisphere in the 1990s and by far the leading recipient of US arms and training, following a consistent pattern.

6. Guatemala's genocidal dirty war against the indigenous Mayan population, inaugurated after a CIA-sponsored military coup in 1954, and supported by the United States through the 1980's, which killed a quarter of a million people. When the United States financed an army of thugs to rape, torture, and murder innocent peasants in Nicaragua whose only crime was that they wanted to control their own lives.

All terrorism is evil. Almost every country in the world has participated in it. The US just happens to be the most powerful country in the world, so anything it does is automatically not terrorism (if Iraq bombed a pharamaceutical factory in Sudan, well it would be a terrible evil act, but with the USA it is ignored). The true way to stop terrorism is to stop participating in it. Stop supplying arms to people like Saddam Hussein, and Osama Bin Laden ... as the United States has done in the past.

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you noam chomsky.

I haven't seen this much cut-n-paste of chomsky in a long time. Do you have any idea of the topics you cut-n-paste, or are you just so happy you found something anti-american?

(for those not familiar with these allegations, they live in the head of noam chomskey and almost to a one have been denounced as a complete rubbish) for added fun, chomsky loves to know complete intent like #2. Normally these items are quoted by 14 year old girls hoping to get daddy mad, or the 19 year old boys hitting on those 14 year old girls.

Name the religion involved in the most armed conflicts? Ooopsy... But wait!! We still hate america!!!

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    To place thefuture's post in context.

This would be like going to ebates website and saying - this is a list of great affiliate programs, after all if they are good enough for ebates, they are good enough for me!!!

Come on people, use your own brains, just don't cut-n-paste some crap. THINK!

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    the future:
    all these incidents you mentionned really happened. No matter what CHET says. You must know that he is one of the most uninformed people in the world but highly brainwashed.
    We recently saw a chronology of the life of Saddam on TV, and we saw "Rumpsfelt" proudly shaking the hands of Saddam in the 80ths. This was the beginning of a friendship where the USA sent tons of MDW ( bio and chem.) to Saddam for his war against the Iran and for his civilwar against the Kurds in northern Iraq. Another biography on Bin Laden showed how he was trained, equipped and supported by the watchdog of the USA the CIA. And we all remember the lies to step into war and the cruelties the USA did in Vietnam. BTW in those days GWB escaped to be sent to Vietnam by joining the National Guards in Taxes for defending Texas against the Vietcong

carneol

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Name the religion involved in the most armed conflicts?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume you mean Islam. But I don't recall Islam playing much of a role in WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Korea, any number of South American conflicts, and most of the African ones.

I'm getting pretty tired of seeing all moslems lumped together as terrorists or war mongers.

Catholic Croatia and Serbia started the balkans war, but we don't treat all catholics as war mongers. The moslems were the clear victims in that conflict, yet I still see moslems blamed for the balkan troubles.

The IRA and UDA in northern Ireland have been blowing up civilians for years, but we don't label all protestants and catholics as terrorists. Noraid, a US organization, even openly financed the IRA, but we don't label America as a harbourer of terrorists.

Question: if the IRA was still blowing up civilians and being financed by Noraid, would the US have to bomb itself?

There are millions and millions of moslems on this planet and a tiny, tiny proportion carry out acts of terrorism. And yes, some of them cheer US deaths, which is appalling.

But most of them are just the same as the rest of the world. Trying to get by without any trouble.

Oh yeah, and Tariq Aziz, Iraq's deputy prime minister is a christian.

1) Yes
    2) No idea
    3) Hmmm
    4) Cock up. But there's not much difference between a phamaceuticals factory and a chemical weapons one in terms of process.
    5) NATO, the US and the EU have blood on their hands over Kurdistan (as well as Turkey, Iraq and Iran)
    6) Not the only CIA supported coup. Pinochet was installed with the help of the CIA in Chile.

All major nations, especially during the cold war, did a number of things that were unethical or downright illegal to protect their own interests, not just the US.

What really galls me is not the dirty tricks during the cold war, but things like the accident at Bhopal where over 10,000 people died due to the negligence of a US firm (Union Carbide, now part of Dow Chemical). The US refuses to extradite those responsible to India. That's more than three times the number killed on 9/11.

Another example, the US refused to let its troops serve as peace-keeper in the former Yugoslavia unless they were exempt from prosecution for war crimes. Why?

And don't get me started on Kyoto and the ABM treaty.

*All* countries, the US included, need to take their international responsibilities and obligations seriously. Every nation has done bad things in the past in the interests of national security, but the US in particular seems reluctant to take any criticism, for anything, at any time.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

Yes it is totally taken from Noam Chomsky, and I apologise, I should have aknowledged this in my post.

However this does not diminish what I posted, it actually enhances it. This is not some conspiracy stuff, it is information that has been reported in mainstream newspapers. Commonly know stuff, just hasn't been acknowledged by the US that they are in the wrong.

This is not to say that the USA is any worse than France, the UK ... etc etc. The are many similar examples for these countries. Any then when you go to other countries, Turkey, Russia, China etc, there are even worse examples. It is simply to say that the USA is not any better. The USA is not the moral champion of the world like most citizens of the US think they are, and because the US is the most powerful nation in the world, the effects of it's actions are often more widely felt. It is important to watch for inhumane acts of your own country, as much or in fact more than you watch others.

Well, if it's national confession time, you must remember that the *British* committed awful atrocities against Iraqi Kurds when Iraq was under British "protection", including aerial bombing of civilians and suspected use of poison gas.

________

ABW Ambassador
    What was the point to this thread? It starts with a list of allegations, then it turns into an all-out bashing. I assume this has something to do with the war in Iraq, but the connection was never made here. Was there a point to be made?

Well I think the reason for a lot of the argueing around here lately isn't so much the war as it is because of what degree I along with many others have defended the US. Our country and it's ideals are under attack by the anti-war crowd and we responded with an in your face we can do no wrong attitude.

This is far from true and every citizen of the world knows there is no perfect government, religion or even one perfect person.

Some of us do however have the insight to see what the true benefit of this war is and others do not.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    Name the religion involved in the most armed conflicts?
    Chet<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Catholicism

I'll give you "Conquistador" and "Crusader", you can think of the rest for yourself.

Religion is never the reason for violence against another group, but it is often the justification. The true reasons are as follows:

1. Power
    2. Sex
    3. Money

Anything else is used as an excuse.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MJCB:
    I'm getting pretty tired of seeing all moslems lumped together as terrorists or war mongers.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-NO WAR-

ABW Ambassador
    thefuture, the reason it matters - because these little tidbits were trotted out on why we shouldn't invade Afghanistan, and when Noam trotted these out his ass was handed to him, check back, these points have been refuted.

But since they are not your own points, you would not know this. This is like someone finding a "post" about Asians during WWII and coming on here saying we better round them up - look at all the trouble they could be. If you do not know the circumstances, don't you think you should research the issues?

My mention of Islam (thanks for not understanding what the crusades were about though, that one was funny), was people want to say that America is the aggressor, but the truth is right now- Islamic fundamentalists (yes, you are right, they are as separate as a roman catholic is from a born again evangelists (realized this may not come off right for some people, but I consider those two very far apart)), are the major cause of conflict in the world. When noam posted his list, he refused to mention or discuss any islamic fundamentalist's contribution to conflict, instead blaming it all on the USA.

You can dance around the issue, but unlike other religions are generally inclusive, Islamic fundamentalists see everyone as the devil and they must be exterminated (fundi Christians is the USA are also exclusive, but they tend not to think these sinners need to be killed but either converted, or mocked for their path going to hell). Of course local leaders are using this an excuse to rile up the poor of these nations. This does not apply to Iraq directly as Saddam is not an Islamic fundamentalist himself, but seemingly he is willing to use the same basic ideas when it is convenient for him.

It doesn't help that there is no strong US Muslim leader that can speak out against the fundis, in fact the press seems instead to be able to find a never ending stream of crackpots to quote.

carneol, I invite you to counter anything I say anywhere instead of just throwing up your rhetoric or that I am an idiot - try a fact or two. If you don't feel up for it, can you still at least post some outrage, I have been passing around your posts with some others, everyone loves the laughs they generate.

Chet

I don't want to spend too much time responding to such liberal nutcase garbage. I will acknowledge that, to someone like Michael Moore, Martin Sheen, etc., the above might be called "facts", but few people with any knowledge of history would agree.

BTW, for those that don't know, we didn't attack Nicaragua; we supported the contras, and we had some CIA personnel down there. The reason that the Sandinistas are no longer in power is that these foolish Communist dictators had the gall to call elections (thanks to the pressure that we put on them). Of course, they lost. Not enough people like thefuture and carneol down there. Or maybe there had been, but they got to see what leftist leadership really is.

As far as Bhopal goes, as Dynamoo notes, it was an accident. An extremely horrible accident, to be sure, but an accident nevertheless. We don't extradite the leaders of the company because they would be tried as criminals there. In the U.S., the company would get sued in such a case, but, unless the officers of the company personally had prior knowledge of the danger, they would not have committed a crime. We are not the only country, by any means, that will not extradite people to face punishment that does not correspond to our law. Many times, other countries refuse to extradite people to the U.S. because they would face the death penalty here, which is against the beliefs of the other country.

Noraid, of course, was never supported by the U.S. government. At that time, we thought free speech was more important than stopping our citizens from supporting terrorists in other parts of the world. Times change, huh?

The invasion of Panama was not considered a blatant violation of international law, except by the nutcases. The people of Panama are very happy to be rid of Noriega, just as the Iraqis are pretty happy to be getting rid of Saddam. Not that everyone in either country is sanguine about having us invade them.

As far as what our self-interests have been, it should be understood that we have responsibilities that come with power. I am not going to argue that here, but I will note that many of the liberal anti-war types were more than excited about going to war in Europe when Clinton was president. Al Franken is quite proud of performing at USO shows, even though he would never do it except to support a Democrat president.

Lastly, I want to point out some things that we have done that have been extremely beneficial to the rest of the world:
    1) we stopped the Communists from taking over most of the world.

2) we stopped Japan and Germany in WWII, with the help of our allies, most notably Britain. Japan had taken over about half of China, as well as several countries in Indo-China, and had committed many atrocities in doing so. They, along with Germany, would have taken over all of Asia and Europe had we not intervened. That, plus the Russian winter and Hitler's ego.
    When it was all over, we spent many billions of our dollars rebuilding Japan and Europe.

3) we are stopping terrorism. No other country would go after world terrorism like we have - though it has certainly taken us a long time to get to this point.

There will always be those on the left that will bash us for whatever we do. Fortunately, in America, they are few and far between.

Genius (except for the stupidity)
    MSN messenger: churley@jugcs.com

we stopped Japan and Germany in WWII
    --------------------------

Germany? ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hmmm... in what year was that?
    You should say the USA protected France from the Soviets.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It doesn't help that there is no strong US Muslim leader that can speak out against the fundis, in fact the press seems instead to be able to find a never ending stream of crackpots to quote.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's an important point. A lot of the problems are to do with the distorted view we get from the media. For example, you'll see pictures of demonstrating arabs burning an effigy of Bush. What you don't see is that it's maybe 500 people in a country of 80 million.
    Attacks by US citizens on innocent moslems post WTC bombings got wide coverage. The compassionate response of the vast majority of US citizens, who obviously didn't harass their moslem neighbors gets underreported.

So both sides get a very skewed picture.

People need to think for themselves more.

The problem with calling something "terrorism" is it depends on who is doing the calling. It tends to be the victims who regard it as terrorism, not the perpatrators.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>bullwinkle: we stopped the Communists from taking over most of the world.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember the "domino effect"? The idea that when a country fell to communism, its neighbours would tend to fall too. That was a really fundamental driver to US and Western foreign policy during the cold war, and its because of this that both sides participated in illegal actions or enterprises of dubious value. Why else fight a ghastly war in Vietnam? Why fund a bloodthirsty bunch of criminals like the contras? The US believed that the ends justified the means.. maybe be did, maybe they didn't.

What *does* set the US aside from many other countries is the fact that it seems to be in denial that it might have done unpleasant things. I don't know if the US have ever apologised to the people of Vietman over the use of Agent Orange, but it's that kind of thing. A few years ago Britain formally apologised to the Czech and Slovak Republics for basically letting the Nazis march in and take over. It was a bad thing to do, but we thought it was necessary at the time.

________

"The spirit was freedom and justice and it's keepers seemed generous and kind. It's leaders were supposed to serve the country but now they won't pay it no mind 'cause the people grew fat and got lazy ,and now their vote is a meaningless joke. They babble about law and order but it's all just an echo of what they've been told. Our cities have turned into jungles and corruption is strangling the land. The police force is watching the people and the people just can't understand. We don't know how to mind our own business 'cause the whole world has got to be just like us. Now we are fighting a war over there, no matter who's the winner we can't pay the cost 'cause there's a monster on the loose. It's got our heads into a noose and it just sits there watching. America where are you now? Don't you care about your sons and daughters? Don't you know we need you now, we can't fight alone against the monster...Heed the threat and awesome power of the mighty Pentagon...Which is wasting precious millions on the toys of Washington...Just one time I'd like to be somewhere where none of your clever lies fill the air. I'm tired of your frozen smile and your voice of tin." -Monster by Steppenwolf, 1970.

Up until November of 2000, an American citizen could have arguably maintained that the United States had become a more tolerable society having, in some respects, tamed much of its monstrous behavior and murderous history, and that there would be no return to the wretched mentality that allowed some of the greatest atrocities in American history. And there's no question about the human rights abuses that have become part and parcel of that history. President Thomas Jefferson made it the policy of the US to wipe out Native Americans leading to what would become America's Final Solution by stating in 1807, "And if ever we are constrained to lift the hatchet against any tribe, we will never lay it down till that tribe is exterminated."

Slavery and segregation of African Americans began in 1619 in the North American continent, Virginia to be precise, and lasted well into the 1970s in the USA. Open minded American's like Princeton's Woodrow Wilson would declare that "universal suffrage was the foundation of every evil in the US" and that African Americans were an "ignorant and inferior race".

As reported by John Gray in Straw Dogs, in 1899 thousands of other open minded Americans-men, women and children-in the US state of Georgia assembled in the town of Newman to watch the hanging of African American Sam Hose. When eight-months-pregnant African American Mary Turner learned that her husband met his end in similar circumstances, she protested to the authorities. Her reward? She was hanged upside down from a tree and while still alive, members of the crowd cut open her abdomen and the tiny infant fell to the ground. As hundreds of bullets were fired into her body, someone from the crowd stepped forward and crushed the infant's head as the onlookers cheered.

Add to that chilling tale, the grotesque treatment of American women who suffered disenfranchised for 72 years until 1920; the deadly anti-union policies that would result in events like the Ludlow Massacre of mine workers in 1914; the internment of Japanese Americans in the 1940s; the debasement of Chinese Americans in the 1850s; the destruction of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos in the 1960s and 1970's; US eugenics laws and practices of the 1920s and 1930s that Adolph Hitler would later use in his Final Solution; and the insidious US support of the former apartheid regime in South Africa that would mercifully end in 1994 with the election of Nelson Mandela.

These are but a few instances of America's sordid past that don't find their way into popular accounts of mythic America. And contrary to popular belief, Globalisation and wars to ensure US market dominance were set in motion as far back as 1898. On the Senate floor in that year, Senator Albert Beveridge of Indiana would maintain that: "Where shall we turn for consumers of our surplus? . . . It is elemental. It is racial. God has not been preparing the English-speaking and Teutonic peoples for a thousand years for nothing but vain and idle self-contemplation and self-admiration. No! He has made us the master organizers of the world to establish a system where chaos reigns. He has given us the spirit of progress to overwhelm the forces of reaction throughout the earth. He has made us adept in government that we may administer government among savage and senile peoples. Were it not for such a force as this the world would relapse into barbarism and night. And of all our race, He has marked the American people as His chosen nation to finally lead in the regeneration of the world. This is the divine mission of America, and it holds for us all the profit, all the glory, all the happiness possible to man. We are trustees of the world's progress, guardians of its righteous peace. The judgment of the Master is upon us: 'Ye have been faithful over a few things; I will make you ruler over many things.'"

In taming America's most noxious actions, most US government and business leaders would proclaim that they alone were responsible for the bright light of reason and the courage to redress the wrongs perpetrated by the US government and its greedy counterparts in the corporate world, and their enforcement arm-the US military. But the reality is that in every one of these instances, the cure came as the result of individuals joining together-sometimes sacrificing life and reputation-and taking to the streets to stop the murderous and prejudicial behavior that plagues not just Americans suffer but the entire species suffers. The horrible treatment of fellow human beings is never the urgent motivator for most of America's government and business leaders, and indeed world leaders. It always was and remains to this day the fear of losing power and prestige. And so again, as in every case above, it falls to the true progressives, the American people-those who, shall we say, have evolved far beyond protoplasmic entities that occupy the US government-and their counterparts everywhere, to take to the streets and stop a return to the hideous policies and practices of yesteryear.

Kings of Pain

On January 18, 2003, as 100,000 plus Americans rallied and marched in the "capitol of the free world," Washington, DC, their president-select and vice president-select and their 534 representatives and senators were nowhere to be found. Only Michigan's John Conyers braved the elements to energize the crowd. And while anti-Iraq war sentiments received top billing, more was afoot than what was generally reported by media outlets around the globe.

All the speakers who took to the podium, and the 100,000 plus individuals that made up the crowd, were decrying the mentality and an environment that led to some of the most sinister acts ever undertaken by the US government. "Jobs Not War!" and "No Tax Cuts for the Rich!" was a constant refrain. The "No racism, Stop Hate!" theme could be found on thousands of posters and placards, as could "No Death Penalty" and "Money for the Poor, Not the Pentagon!" "No One Should Die for Bush." Podium speakers and the crowd were fearful of a return to a US government and society that had, in its history, encouraged some of the worst aspects of humanity.

In short, this was arguably more anti-Bush II than anti-Iraq war sentiment. Participants were mindful of the type of environment that breeds violence and suffering, and impoverishes thought and debate. They now very well that if Bush II and his government, and the US Congress, remain unchecked, an environment of greed and corruption and racism and fear will flourish.

And there's plenty to fear from this King of Pain who represents the most callous elements of America. Few have commented on the fact that every single business venture that Bush II has meddled with-from failed oil companies to the now suffering State of Texas-has ended up as either a public and commercial embarrassment or in shambles for taxpayers, with wealthy cronies and political appointees having to spring for bail and create spin for the alphabet-challenged President. Texas is now billions of dollars of debt and battles horrid air pollution. The residents of Arlington, Texas, are still paying for Bush's stint as owner of the Rangers. The Texas Air National Guard shamelessly puts the best face on Bush's service debacle-actions for which any other reservist would have been swiftly sent to Vietnam.

So now, it's the United States' turn to suffer a similar fate. If ever there was a practitioner for ruthlessness, it's Bush and crew. Ruining people's lives seems to be something in which this regime prides itself. Eliminating billions of dollars for birth control programs, food disbursements, benefits for the unemployed (8 percent and climbing unemployed in the US), environmental protections, and promoting what amounts to $2 trillion in tax cuts primarily for the rich is hardly the way to maintain a somewhat egalitarian society. Standing idly by while knowing California's energy crisis was caused primarily by Enron, and while many states approach bankruptcy is to court further disaster. Giving the wacky Pentagon and the Homeland Security Department budgets which approach $500 billion while holding spending on infrastructure, education and health care to a ludicrous $350 billion is close to criminal. Inserting church into state through untidy faith-based programs and inserting state into the home through the efforts of convicted criminals like Admiral John Poindexter seems the work of madmen.

Attempting to criminalize affirmative action by challenging the University of Michigan's affirmative action program on the eve of Martin Luther King's birthday and turning a blind eye to those great 20th century racists Trent Lott and Strom Thrumond says much about Bush's and Beveridge's God. Now American Muslims must suffer while their kin in the US and the world over are fingerprinted and registered as if they are cows to be branded. There are watch lists for American citizens who are Greens or antiwar protestors. High school students are suspended for criticizing Bush and his government. First Amendment zones are created for anti-Bush demonstrators and while in them, police cameras record the process.

Donnie Rumsfeld's extraordinary statement that draftees lend little to the US military must have come as a surprise to many veterans. On that note, it's interesting to listen to Rumsfeld and other active duty military-types who are fond of pointing out that without the protections they provide the demonstrations in the USA on January 18 would have been impossible. Yet, on that day in Russia, Indonesia, Israel, Mexico, Egypt, Pakistan, Turkey, Brazil, Japan, Jordan, England, Australia, France, Syria, India and elsewhere, tens of thousands exercised the same freedom displaying many of the same banners as their brethren in the USA.

United States of Anarchy

What it all adds up to is that Bush II has led the way in tearing the fabric of America apart. He has eased the ability of 15 percent of the US population to accumulate further wealth, while leaving to the remaining 85 percent to fight over what amounts to a pittance. He has mindlessly opened the doors to racism and greed while at the same time he has closed and locked the doors of accountability, openness and peace. Millions of people are out of work in the US and his government has no solution but war and tax cuts. From the jungles of Columbia and Indonesia to the streets of Washington, DC, and Portland, Oregon, America is now at war with the world and itself. It seems that it hasn't come all that far since 1970 when other ruthless human beings-Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger-were doing all that they could to destroy America and Southeast Asia. But, perhaps, this time around there may be a difference.

In 1688, German Quaker settlers in Germantown, Pennsylvania-led by Daniel Pastorius-were the first to publicly protest US slavery by challenging Pennsylvania's Quakers. Their efforts at the time were unsuccessful, but many in the community of Quakers were moved to change and their actions would ultimately contribute to Pennsylvania becoming the first state to pass anti-slavery legislation in 1780, and in the 1800s their statements contributed to the argument against slavery.

Like the German immigrants to America who had the foresight to see that injustice, the millions who protested around the world on January 18, 2003 will be remembered for raising the consciousness of people everywhere to the great danger that George Bush II and the current US government pose to America and the world. The greatest threat to American society besides Iraq Oil Wars, is an unaccountable White House occupant, Congress, Supreme Court and military, the latter being the now well-established fourth branch of the US government.

Americans and the world can only hope that there will be more rallies and marches as occurred on January 18. If not, the US government, as it stands now, will destroy or imprison its people and those of any other nation who dare challenge the Bush and Beveridge God-given right to rule the world.

The Monster is, indeed, on the loose and no single individual can fight against him.

John Stanton
    ----
    John Stanton is a Virginia-based writer specializing in national security matters.

-NO WAR-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>What *does* set the US aside from many other countries is the fact that it seems to be in denial that it might have done unpleasant things.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this may be at the core of the problem. If you set yourself up as the world's policeman and moral authority, then you are held to higher standards than those that don't.

People don't like hypocrites. The unfortunate side is that when the US does do something that should be judged as morally right, they have a major PR problem convincing others that their motivation is positive.

One of the many tragedies of this conflict is how both sides of the debate find it much easier to accept that the other side is motivated by greed and self-interest than to accept the other side may be motivated by a genuine sense of morality.

That's how cynical and mistrustful we've all become.

How many pro-war people think Chirac is motivated by morals, rather than Iraqi oil contracts?

How many anti-war people think Bush is motivated by morals rather than business interests?

Very few in both cases I suspect. Tragic we think like that. Equally tragic if our cynicism is well-founded.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Our country and it's ideals are under attack by the anti-war crowd <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's not US ideals that are being criticized here, it's US behaviour.

The [insert dismissive epithet here] crowd wishes that the US would do a better job of actually LIVING by its own ideals.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread