Affiliate Manager
    Tracking Sales on the keyword level
    Hi all,

Does anyone here have a solution for tracking sales back to specific keywords?

Any input would be appreciated?

Thanks,
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGEC
    Does anyone here have a solution for tracking sales back to specific keywords?
    As in: what keyword/keyphrase lead the prospect (that became a customer) to your site? If so, Google Analytics can be powerful for that, Adam.

Geno

Affiliate Manager
    not exactly...this is more for my affiliates who are using search. As of now I don't know of anyway where they can see which keyword is responsible for a specific sale. Google doesn't provide that information.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamGEC
    not exactly...this is more for my affiliates who are using search. As of now I don't know of anyway where they can see which keyword is responsible for a specific sale. Google doesn't provide that information.
    I have just sent you a PM on how it can work for an in-house program on the merchant side of things.

As for the affiliate side of things, ShareASale, for example, displays this information to affiliates under each sale report. AvantLink, I think, does too... Not sure how to implement it easily using the G's Analytics or anything else (as far as the affiliate side of things goes).

Geno

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks Geno...I'll have to give this a good look through

If you find out anything about any other means I'm not aware of, Adam, I would appreciate you educating me.

G.

Any script or n/w that supports subids can indirectly support kw to sale tracking.
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

I've successfully used two affiliate networks' "affiliate sub-id" tracking capabilities to track the keyword sources for sales generated through "direct-to-merchant" PPC activity.

ShareASale allows affiliates to add the "afftrack=" parameter, and Kowabunga has a similar parameter "sub="

When I create a keyword campaign on Google AdWords, I can embed the keyword into the destination URL for that keyword. Thus, if I'm bidding for the term "blue widget" using phrase matching, I might send the traffic to a ShareASale merchant and append "&afftrack=g+phrase+blue+widget" to the link URL provided by SAS. Each SAS transaction will show the "afftrack" that was embedded in the link URL that brought the visitor to the merchant site.

This requires a little bit of skill with Excel to auto-generate the link URLs to upload into the AdWords Editor (I sometimes upload huge amounts of account data, such as 10,000+ keywords spread across 2,500 ad groups in 100 campaigns, which can take a long time just to import into the AdWords editor, and then many hours to upload from the editor to AdWords.)

The afftrack parameter is less useful when designing PPC campaigns that are not "direct-to-merchant," but which pass instead through an intermediate affiliate site (for example, a product-comparison or price-comparison site). In theory, you could use PHP or ASP scripting to detect a parameter which you'd embed in your Google AdWords destination URLs, and then embed that parameter (and perhaps more data) into the individual outbound affiliate links, but that certainly would add quite a bit of extra work.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    The afftrack parameter is less useful when designing PPC campaigns that are not "direct-to-merchant," but which pass instead through an intermediate affiliate site (for example, a product-comparison or price-comparison site). In theory, you could use PHP or ASP scripting to detect a parameter which you'd embed in your Google AdWords destination URLs, and then embed that parameter (and perhaps more data) into the individual outbound affiliate links, but that certainly would add quite a bit of extra work.
    Ain't just a theory and for somebody who has built a php database driven site, not that hard to implement either.

There are still some other ways to do it as well...

Instead of a sub (MyAp) or afftrack (SAS), you can also use Google Analytics to encode your outbound links (when not using direct-to-merchant) and use that click out as a proxy for a sales metric - to see which keywords have the best pull through.

If you have enough pull with the merchant, you can ask them to use a proxy pointer (SSAID in SAS, but can be manually encoded in any aff links if the merchant's cooperation is there) and ask the merchant to load your ppc conversion tracking snippet when your pointer says you are the referring affiliate.

But do be careful in all of this, affiliates who go down this road tend to read too much meaning into these stats and to have insufficient data sample sets when making decisions as well. If you have tight Ad Groups, you're often better served by doing Ad or Ad Group tracking than keyword tracking.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread