Thumbs down Merchants spamming with newsletters
    I am getting spammed by a merchant on one of the big 3 network. I think they downloaded the affiliate contact info and dump it into their customer newsletter DB. Now, I am getting consumer promotions...

Should I contact the network or the merchant or report them FTC?
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

A surprising number of merchants seem to think it's okay to automatically add affiliates' email addresses to their customer/newsletter lists. (It's not.)

I usually tolerate a couple of mailings, but if I'm getting weekly emails, I usually just click "junk" and from then on I won't see those emails any longer. In some cases, this doesn't affect "affiliate communications," but usually the result is that I stop seeing any email from that merchant (including affiliate communications), which means that if I email with a question, I won't see the reply, so I won't end up promoting the merchant.

Since you already have established a relationship with the merchant, the FTC isn't even going to consider your complaint. I'd suggest sending an email to the merchant, in which you inform the merchant that you are unhappy about this abuse of your email address, and cc'ing that to the affiliate network (but don't expect the network to take any action, nor even care). In your email, mention to the merchant that this is an inappropriate use of affiliate data, and that most affiliates will just flag the merchant's emails as spam and thus effectively end their relationship, without ever complaining directly.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    A merchant should NEVER add an affiliates contact info to their product promotion newsletters unless the affiliate requests it as a way to stay on top of what is being offered etc. Reporting them to the FTC would do you zero good, but reporting them to the network may help, depends on the network.

Good luck.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ske9963
    Should I contact the network or the merchant or report them FTC?
    Merchant first, and depending on the reaction - maybe also the network.

G.

Affiliate Manager
    I don't see any value of adding an affiliate to a customer mailing list... and the other way around as well...

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    A surprising number of merchants seem to think it's okay to automatically add affiliates' email addresses to their customer/newsletter lists. (It's not.)
    If we all added their email address to OUR newsletter lists once they start spamming us, that would be a nice little payback. :-)

Meanwhile, WE'LL get nailed for spamming since they didn't double opt in to our newsletters so maybe it's not such a brilliant idea. Sweet thought, though.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Yeah, I think they might be trying to send us a Message that sending out unsolicated email is ok. And they know that is wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    If we all added their email address to OUR newsletter lists once they start spamming us, that would be a nice little payback. :-)

Meanwhile, WE'LL get nailed for spamming since they didn't double opt in to our newsletters so maybe it's not such a brilliant idea. Sweet thought, though.
    Sorry Rex, I thought you were part of the Hamilton My Space site!!! OOPS.... We merchants are a motley crew.....
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Sorry Rex, I thought you were part of the Hamilton My Space site!!! OOPS.... We merchants are a motley crew.....
    I can't get into Myspace anymore - they don't like my logon and p/w combo for some reason.

Besides, you've never spammed me with promos, Alan.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I can't get into Myspace anymore - they don't like my logon and p/w combo for some reason. Besides, you've never spammed me with promos, Alan.
    But by it's very meaning, "never" only applies to "up to present tense" hehehe.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I sign-up for newsletters from my top affiliates so I don't miss an opportunity. I think it is alright to include an opt-in link to a merchants promotional emails in an affiliate newsletter. That way affiliates have a choice and can leverage deals.

I don't think it is alright to dump affiliate emails into a merchants promotional emails. Call the AM and ask why they consider this necessary and to have your email removed. Would be interesting to hear their answer.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've had a few do that. Sometimes I end up getting some decent info.

Which reminds me, looks like a certain bulb place that isn't mine (that I signed up for long before opening mine and never officially desubscribed from) may have finally realized that I'm not exactly the greatest candidate for their "here, this is what you need to beat!" emails, LOL. I haven't seen one of theirs in a few months.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Call me strange, but as long as the newsletter has things I'm allowed to promote, I like getting them...

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    Call me strange, but as long as the newsletter has things I'm allowed to promote, I like getting them...
    I agree with you
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I also receive newletters and requests to joing merchant programs from one of the big three networks.

In the last couple of weeks I've been receiving emails from the same merchant asking me to join their program. On one day, I received over 30 emails from the same merchant. Funny thing is when I opened the emails, only one was addressed to me, the others were addressed to other affiliates...LOL.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread