Question on acceptable site practices
    I'm a new member, so I'll start by saying hello. This site has been extremely informative and very helpful for me and my partner as we begin to launch our affiliate program.

My question pertains to a controversial issue that I've read about in a number of posts on this forum. As I understand it, it is a bad practice to include links to other affiliate programs on the affiliate managers site; for instance, If I am running an affiliate program of my own, and yet have links on my site to other websites that also run affiliate programs, this is considered a violation of best practices for affiliate programs.

Here is the problem I have with that: My partner and I own a technology company which offers IT business solutions, online computer repair, e-learning courses, and instructional videos, as well as other computer related services. We are both professionally certified engineers, and have partnered with Microsoft, Intel, and other companies as a way to enhance the product and service offerings to our clients. As part of that arrangement, we need to include links to certain landing pages on these companies sites, and furthermore we do make a commision if our clients choose to go with a certain solution of one of our partners.

Why is this considered unacceptable to most affiliates, as this, as far as I can tell, does not interfere with the commission program that we seek to set up for our affiliates. Obviosuly, we want to pay our affiliates for referrals, sign ups, and sales, so why should the fact that a visitor may click from my site to a Microsoft site be considered a bad practice. After all, we are not offering the same services as our partners.

I really need to understand this better.

Online Marketing Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by dranfu
    we do make a commision if our clients choose to go with a certain solution of one of our partners.

Why is this considered unacceptable to most affiliates.

There are a ton of reaosn why this is not acceptable to affilaites. Here are a few as others will chime in with more and I have to head out to meet with friends shortly.

1. Your affiliates will be sending you traffic expecting to make a conversion on your site, by you sending them off of your site, you are taking the traffic they have given you and sending it away from you cart making it harder to make a sale.

2. Since these links to other sites are affiliate links, you are now also using the traffic your affiliates sent you to make money for yourself and leave them with nothing because their traffic has now clicked your link and made you a commission with another program.

3. On the same note, if the affiliate who have sent you their traffic are also members of the same program, there is a very good chance that the traffic had clicked on their affiliate links first and you will now be overwriting their cookies becoming a parasite and stealing from your affiiate who sent you the traffic. Stealing and overwriting cookies is a huge no-no in this industry.

Like I said, there are plenty more, but before anyone misreads your post or blasts you if they did, I'd like to point out that it is a good thing you are asking these questions without spamming or posting links or abusing this forum. It seems like you are genuinely interested in learning about how to run a program and make it affiliate friendly.

Welcome to ABW =0)

BTW, if you have leaks (links to your partner sites) that are not affiliate links which would overwrite your affiliates cookies, that is a little less of a non-best practice. It is still looked down upon, especially if you guys are a small operation and not a corporation who has a ton of red tape, but it is the lesser of the two evils if you insist on having the leaks on your site.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Liquidate, thank-you for your response. And I do understand much better now about why it is looked down upon. And yes, i am very much genuinely interested in running a program that is affiliate friendly, and most of all fair and a profitable venture for ourselves and our affiliates.

I do have a question though. You mentioned that if we had "leaks" on our sites to our other partners sites, is it not possible to simply pay a certain commision to our affiliates if the generate a lead that generates a sale for us through one of our partners? It seems like in that situation we would both stand to gain. Or by experience do you know that this situation is perhaps to unmanageable, and it is better to just avoid having our partner links on our site at all?

Well this to can be looked at many ways.

One you are converting a sale for an affiliate by addng the extra credibility to that merchant and then paying them part of your commission.....then again, the affiliate might also say that because their cookie has been overwritten, the person may have converted anyways and the commission should be theirs in full.

The next thing you may want to think about is that if the affiliate never sent you the visitor who converted, then you would have never made the sale, and if the affiliate had had their cookie set previously, then they would have had the sale and earned the full sale. This would definitely anger the affiliate, because they had sent you the visitor which would have made thema full commission and since you overwrote their cookie and took the sale, even though you are offering them half, the whole thing was theirs initially.

Another thing is that their income depends in full on these commissions, your income is going to be boosted because of them, by you offering them only half of what they would have earned by not promoting you, you are now actually hurting their income, especially when they can promote an alternate program who is your competitor and does not have these leaks.

Now, another thing to think about is how can you tell who sent you the traffic that you overwrote the cookie on and made the sale....how will you be able to tell which affiliate it was so you can pay them. You will essentially have to become a CPA network with your own tracking unless you can find another way. CPAs are not looked well upon either in this manner.

Anyways, I have to go but there are more things to go along with this....I am emailing you my cell phone number....give me a call and we can chat more ok =0)

Adam
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Nevermind, you have blocked being sent emails so I cannot.,...other people will chime in and givce you more info....hope my responses helped ya.

Oh, Im sorry. I have not adjusted my profile settings yet; I'll go do that right now if you want to send me an email.

Ok, all set.

I've moved this to a more appropriate forum and deleted the duplicate posts.

I would also suggest that the Title be changed to "What's wrong with a merchant having affiliate links on their site?". I'm not going to change it right away, though, because with both a move and a title change, you might never find it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread