Cockroaches don't eat Aspartame, should you?
    As a "Diet Cola addict" I agree that Aspartame is highly addictive and now after reading about the dangers of Aspartame, I plan to stay away from beverages and foods (and gum) that contain Aspartame.

I have been guilty of eating lots of junk foods/snacks and sodas but after reading the following articles, I'll never look at consumer goods containing Aspartame the same way. I urge anyone who has children to read the following articles in order to be able to make healthy choices for one's children.

Aspartame is a multipotential toxin and carcinogen. The dipeptide component of the molecule can alter brain chemistry, significantly changing the ratio of catecholamines to indolamines, with resultant lowering of seizure threshold, production of carbohydrate craving and in vulnerable individuals leading to panic, depressive and cognitive symptoms.

The methyl ester component of aspartame is metabolized to methanol, which in turn is broken down into formic acid and formaldehyde.
    Methanol can lead to serious eye problems, formic acid and formaldehyde are potent carcinogens. Dying for a Diet Coke?
    The connection of Michael J. Fox's illness of Parkinson's disease with a diet cola packed full of Aspartame really drives the danger home for me.

Here are important links that everyone should read for the sake of health:

Aspartame and Nutrasweet Toxicity Info Center

Aspartame & Aspartame Poisoning

SickofDoctors.com: Michael J. Fox is still drinking the diet soda

The Aspartame Scandal: This Artificial Sweetener is the Thalidomide of the 90's

Dying for a Diet Coke?

Dr. Julian Whitaker - The Lowdown On Aspartame/NutraSweet
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I avoid aspartame like the plague - it gives me terrible headaches. But, Diet Coke is also available made with Splenda instead of aspartame, as are a lot of other diet drinks, including Diet RC (great stuff) and Shasta diet drinks.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    I avoid aspartame like the plague - it gives me terrible headaches. But, Diet Coke is also available made with Splenda instead of aspartame, as are a lot of other diet drinks, including Diet RC (great stuff) and Shasta diet drinks.
    Splenda/sucralose is chlorinated sugar.

I wouldn't eat that stuff either

THE LETHAL SCIENCE OF SPLENDA, A POISONOUS CHLOROCARBON

Splenda, a sweet poison - Worthy of a world wide warning?

I buy Seltzer Water I put a lemon or lime into club soda/seltzer water/sparkling mineral water/soda water -- whatever you'd like to call it.

I admit that I used to drink tons of diet soda and I am worried now about possible effects that might have.
    Last edited by Rhia7; November 10th, 2007 at 10:58 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    While I usually want to debunk chemical-panic sites, like those seem to be, I'm not in an argumentative mood today nor am I inclined to chase down a bunch of counterlinks.

So I'll just say that until artificial sweeteners actually taste as good as sugar, the value/unvalue of Aspartame and the like are not things I have to worry about. To me, the word "Diet" (or words that mean it, like "low in" anything) on a product is code for "Do Not Eat This," but that's got nothing to do with the safety of the products. It's because--despite improvements over the years--they still can't measure up to the full-flavored versions.

I've been a Diet Coke lover for many years but I'm starting to wonder about the correlation between "diet sodas" (any kind) and a person's metabolism.

@Leader: Chasing counterlinks sounds like fun

As for "chemical panic sites" there are articles in medical journals but I don't feel like subscribing
    You can see a list of topics dealing with Aspartame in The New England Journal of Medicine:
    http://search.nejm.org/search?w=Aspartame&search=SEARCH
    "Refined sugar (especially sucrose) and aspartame (α-aspartyl-l-phenylalanine-o-methyl ester) have each been considered a possible cause of hyperactivity and other behavior problems in children..."
    Last edited by Rhia7; November 10th, 2007 at 11:30 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    While I usually want to debunk chemical-panic sites, like those seem to be, I'm not in an argumentative mood today nor am I inclined to chase down a bunch of counterlinks.
    Your idea of chasing counterlinks is so much fun

I've been looking for "non chemical-panic sites" and I found Neuropharmacology: Aspartame decreases evoked extracellular dopamine levels in the rat brain: An in vivo voltammetry study
    The problem is I don't understand what "extracellular dopamine levels" are but at least it's a "non chemical-panic site"

Very non-panic -- in fact I found an article that can put everyone to sleep:
    Study of thermal degradation of aspartame and its products of conversion in sweetener using isothermal thermogravimetry and HPLC
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Ecch...you like researching?! But it's almost always tedious, like work!
    The problem is I don't understand what "extracellular dopamine levels" are
    Extracellular: Outside the cells. Since you said "dopamine" I'll assume they mean the spaces between the cells in the brain.

Dopamine: A neurotransmitter. IIRC it's involved in things like happiness and calmness, but it could have other effects that I forgot about.

Now to run that abstract straight through the THRESHER where it needs to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Study
    Time-course experiments revealed a significant decline in evoked extracellular DA levels within 1 h of a single systemic dose (500 mg/kg i.p.) when compared to vehicle-injected controls.
    First a bit of plain English.

They gave the rats a single huge dose of the stuff, and compared their reaction to that of rats that just got a dose of placebo (inactive stuff). In this case, the placebo was whatever they used as a "carrier"--probably saline solution.

Now:

500 mg/kg!!!

If YOU got 500 mg/kg of something, what would that be...I'll ask Google's calculator.

(I have no idea what you weigh but nobody ever gets pissed at being assumed to be 100 Lbs, plus 100's an easy number to work from. So, for this I'll say you're 100Lbs.)

100 Lbs in KG = 45.35 Kgs.
    45.35 times 500mg = 22, 675mg
    1000 mg in a gram. 2,267.5 grams.
    1000 grams in a KG. 2.2675 KG!

So, to get the same dosage, you'd have to eat 2.2675 KILOGRAMS, or 4.99 POUNDS of Aspartame!!! AT ONE TIME!

So I think the results of such a "test" are pretty much irrelevant. It's the equivalent of dropping something off the Empire State Building and then concluding that jumping down one inch is just as dangerous!

Let's see, what else will end up threshed...

Quote Originally Posted by Same study, this is getting good, same way that Jaywalking is good that is...
    The effect was frequency dependent and showed a significant decrease utilizing high frequency stimulation parameters (50 and 60 Hz). In order to further determine APM's potential to alter evoked extracellular DA levels, extended stimulation periods were employed to deplete releasable stores both before and after APM administration in intact and 6-OHDA partially lesioned animals.
    I almost couldn't believe what I was reading when I ran through this! But:

"High frequency stimulation parameters (50 and 60 Hz)"
    For crying out loud I'm sure that means they SHOCKED the rats! Geezz no wonder their dopamine depleted! That wouldn't make ME too happy either!!

"Extended stimulation periods...deplete reasonable stores...both before and after APM administration"
    So, they shocked the rats, to get rid of the normal amount of dopamine they would normally have had--Then they gave them the rat-equivalent of FIVE POUNDS of Aspartame--then they shocked 'em some more!

This is so ludicrous I am laughing!

Oh there's more! End of last quoted bit. "Intact and partially-lesioned animals"
    So some of the animals were ALREADY F'd up by some kind of lesions! Hm, what would they want to use *those* ones for?

Quote Originally Posted by Same Way Out Ridiculous Study
    These findings suggest that APM has a relatively potent effect of decreasing evoked extracellular DA levels when administered systemically under the conditions specified.
    In bold you have the KING DISCLAIMER! Unless you're planning on getting yourself shocked, eating a big huge bag of aspartame, and then getting yourself shocked again, you can safely ignore this study!

Wa ha ha! Thanks for the humor! Now maybe I'll look at the other "nonpanic" sites after all. I never thought a study abstract could beat Colbert, but they blew him right outta the water!

Oh, and if that's typical of the studies the anti-Aspartame side has, it's no wonder it's still on the market. No conspiracies needed.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Leader's comments sound reminiscent of when Canadian scientists determined that saccharin was a carcinogen. It turned out that the scientists had made saccharin 5% of the rats' diet. Now days it is no longer considered a carcinogen. Regulatory History of Saccharin and http://www.junkscience.com/news/saccharin.html
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Well, I've had a blast with this thread

Actually, I read some articles that raised flags in my mind particularly because I have been a "diet soda addict." I called my Mother and told her to stop buying diet soda and I wondered about the connection with Michael J. Fox and the diet soda he promoted. My Mother said that my brother (a physician) had not heard of the connection between diet soda and Parkinson's Disease.

It's difficult for me to carry soda to my apartment because the elevator is broken. The last time I carried soda it spritzed all over my kitchen when I opened it - so at least at home I'm cutting out soda. My brother thinks it's great that I am forced to climb up and down stairs Maybe it will increase my metabolism. It wouldn't hurt me to loose 10 pounds but it's not easy to do.

I do wonder about a possible slow down of the metabolism.
    I will continue to cut down and possibly cut out from my diet anything with Aspartame, Splenda, etc.

I like to add spices to food but I'd like to cut down chemically treated foods/drinks made of chemicals. I have been a real "sodaholic" so it's tough.
    Last edited by Rhia7; November 11th, 2007 at 02:08 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I try to avoid chemicals of any kind when I can. Water is a great diet drink, 0 calories, basically free if your tap water is drinkable, and rehydrates quickly.

If it is too plain try green tea hot, ice tea, or some other variants of tea. So cheap, tastes great and basically no fat or calories. Green tea really soothes the stomach and digestive system.

Even coffee is better for you than most sodas.

Cutting down on man-made chemicals may not be a bad idea, and at least, shouldn't hurt (usually, anyway--some good medicines come from factories).
    I just hate it when people do things based on panic and/or bad science!!

I do wonder about a possible slow down of the metabolism.
    I would suggest keeping a strict log of all the calories you eat for 2 weeks or so, right down to the last pretzel...my bet's that extra cals are sneaking in on you. Yeah it's mundane, but all the diet-soda drinkers I know that didn't have a weight change were actually just making up for the missing cals somewhere else...

It *could be* that the pop messes up your metabolism, but personally I'm more inclined to be interested in the reports that say that high-fructose corn syrup (what's in most non-diet soda pop) is worse. It makes more sense that such a spike of simple sugars would throw things out of whack. But, I haven't looked at any studies on that...maybe they're wacky, too...

On the good side, if you cut out diet pop, it's not like your body is going to be missing any calories, so it won't react by going into famine mode on you!

On another note, I just looked at my math on that study. Seems I miscalculated that, had the decimal off. 22675mg = 22.675 grams. Still a whole lot more than you'd really ingest! And, you'd still need to shock yourself before and after in order to match the study conditions! Not to mention that to competely replicate it, you'd have to inject yourself with aspartame rather than drinking (or eating) it...
    Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    Even coffee is better for you than most sodas.
    I'd agree with that.
    Last edited by Leader; November 11th, 2007 at 08:38 AM.

I hear high-fructose corn syrup is something to really look out for
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...thsyrup04.html

Thanks, Leader, for your entertaining analysis of the rats' extracellular dopamine levels
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    To me, the word "Diet" (or words that mean it, like "low in" anything) on a product is code for "Do Not Eat This," but that's got nothing to do with the safety of the products. It's because--despite improvements over the years--they still can't measure up to the full-flavored versions.
    Agreed - just eat less of it (if you can). I'd rather have nothing than just about anything that is advertised as "low fat", it's always disappointing.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Dopamine is a neurotransmitter, that is, a chemical that nerve cells release that aid in the transmission of nerve impulses to muscles and organs. The lack of dopamine doesn't effect "happiness and calmness" as Leader mentioned, but all nerve functions, from walking to chewing, to breathing. In fact, the basic "cause" of Parkinson's is the lack of dopamine, and the basic treament for Parkinson's for more than 50 years has been the adminintering of dopa drugs, such as L-Dopa, which crosses the blood-brain barrier and restores some of the missing dopamine.

The lack of dopamine, as in Parkinson's, first manifests as a slowing in voluntary movement and difficulty in basic muscular functions, including hand and finger manipulation, walking, turning, etc., and as it progresses, effects speech, swallowing, and breathing.

It will be interesting to see the follow-up to the "rat-brain" study referenced by Rhia, in several aspects:
    • Can the results be duplicated thus verifying the conclusions from the scientists and students of Muskingum College;
    • Will there ever be human studies that produce similar findings in people;
    • If so, will this result in either the banning of Aspartame, or at least the recommendation that Parkinson's sufferers stay away from it;
    • Will further studies investigate whether something in Aspartame, that people have been exposed to and have ingested for many years (from before Aspartame was first marketed) that has contributed to loss of dopamine and possibly the development of Parkinson's;
    • Will anything really develop in this regard, given the fact the all of the earlier studies associating Aspartame with brain tumors, lymphoma, leukemia, fibromyalgia, etc., have either not been taken seriously by the medical science establishment or have been banished to the circular file by big business and lobbyist money. Or is that because the studies deserved no more consideration than they have been given due to their questionable starting points of the ingestion of unreasonably large amounts of the subject products. Thus has certainly been the criticism of studies of Splenda, and the earlier saccharin studies, as has been pointed out in the posts below.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

but diet dr pepper tastes so good!

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    You can find someone who tells you that everything is going to kill you. Panic, panic, panic, worry, worry, worry. Some of it is legit, sure, but I no longer panic over everything I hear.

Excuse me while I go eat a 800 calorie cheeseburger and chase it with a diet beverage.

A lot of these sugar substitutes are downright nasty and/or carcinogenic.

An even bigger threat is hydrogenated oils. Parents all over the world think they are giving their kids something good to eat when they give them peanut butter. Half the other stuff in the grocery store is loaded with it too. That stuff kills more people than cigarettes do but we don't hear anything about it.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by davidh

An even bigger threat is hydrogenated oils. Parents all over the world think they are giving their kids something good to eat when they give them peanut butter.
    I'm glad you mentioned that. Frankly peanut butter never tasted the same after the switch from glass containers to plastic.

Parenting is tough these days: too much of the food we buy is processed with chemical additives/preservatives etc. it's tough to make choices when the kids are clamoring for what they see advertised on television.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I will NOT give up my peanut butter!

They sell 'natural' peanut butter at the store, but it usually looks nasty. Separated with the oil floating on top. (maybe the reason for using hydrogenated oil.

ABW Ambassador
    I read if you eat preservatives, you live longer. They preserve you just like they preserve the food.

I read Red-40 makes your skin look healthy.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Costcos organic peanut butter is good, cheap and no trans fats. It is organic peanuts and salt, hehe, simple.

And there are some move awat from trans fats, New York has outlawed it in restaurants I believe.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread