Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    CV Joint Replacement, Doable at Home?
    I need to replace the left front CV joint on my wife's Nissan. The right side was replaced earlier this year. I can now hear the left side. If you crank the wheel all the way to one side and hit the gas, you can hear a clunk sound.

Is that something that can be done at home or is there some special Nissan tool #0002020202020 needed that I wouldn't have in my roll-away tool box?

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    I need to replace the left front CV joint on my wife's Nissan. The right side was replaced earlier this year. I can now hear the left side. If you crank the wheel all the way to one side and hit the gas, you can hear a clunk sound.

Is that something that can be done at home or is there some special Nissan tool #0002020202020 needed that I wouldn't have in my roll-away tool box?
    That depends, check this site: How to Replace a CV Joint

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I suggest going to the library and finding a repair manual for your car. See if it explains the process and if it gives an estimate of the time needed to do it. Or call a dealership and asking their price, see if they can break down the parts and the service cost. That will give you an idea of the time, maybe times two for non mechanics.

But I am not so sure that is a CV. Could be a motor mount(s). Most CVs click when turning on cars I have owned. Clunks on takeoff were motor mounts. Motor mounts are usually cheaper and easier to do too. How many miles on the car? Did the right side do this when the CV needed replacement? Did they do anything else at the same time?

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    It is more of a click. I am going to verify this afternoon by checking to see if the boot is torn and empty of grease.

it's done all the time, but it really depends on your skill set & you'll want to get the Haynes book on your car before even thinking of it! depending on the car (not sure on your) it is possible to push a bearing into the engine which will make and awful racket and big repair bill.

Price it at a local shop...guessing you can get it for under 150+parts (maybe another 2-300)

Internet Cowboy
    The hub should be hinged once you remove the wheel and the brake assembly (if necessary). I have helped someone do these before and one side was a B*TCH while the other side took 10 minutes. It comes down to how corroded and/or rusted into place the hub assembly is. Once the hub is swung back, the CV assembly pulls right out and you just stick the new (or re-manufactured) one in.
    As for checking the boot, if you hear the popping, the bearings are gone so you have lost your grease somewhere in the past. Replacing the boot will not fix the problem. The damage is done.

I would let the local shop do this. Corrosion can be the biggest obstacle to a fast removal/install. Good luck.

-sfcom

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread