View Poll Results: War related posts

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like to discuss the topic but it's out of hand.

15 41.67%
  • I thought this site was for affiliate marketing.

15 41.67%
  • I must prove my point and win them over.

0 0%
  • Can we talk about something else?

6 16.67%
  • What war?

0 0%
    Just curious what everyone thinks about war related postings and sharing of ideals.

Personally I feel it has gotten WAY out of hand.

I see a lot of posts I would like to respond to but what would be the point.

The one thing I am REALLy getting sick and tired of is people from other countries constantly putting down the US.

They durn sure don't mind taking my hard earned tax dollars for foriegn aid. They durn sure don't mind taking American dollars on their web sites.

I am not sitting here posting over and over how their country su@ks.

It has gotten out of hand. period.

I would like to ask that either further comments and posts be locked - or a special fourm entitled "America bashing" be set up for those who feel the need.

For those who don't like the US or what we are doing:

too fricking bad...

go blow it out your tooter...

take down all your aff links that cater to US buyers...

go sit down and SHUT the FRICK UP!!!!

ok, I feel all better now.

Vicki

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

I am with Vicki 100 percent.

Fred

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it." Abraham Lincoln

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The one thing I am REALLy getting sick and tired of is people from other countries constantly putting down the US.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, most people aren't attacking the US, but its government and policies. That's an important distinction.

Second, it's not just people from other countries. Plenty of US Americans have concerns about these policies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>For those who don't like the US or what we are doing:

too fricking bad...
    take down all your aff links that cater to US buyers...
    go sit down and SHUT the FRICK UP!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is precisely the kind of attitude that people complain about. I fully respect your patriotism, but an unwillingness to accept any form of criticism or debate is not healthy. Nor does it conform to the ideals you're so proud of, either.

Suppose I said,

For those who don't like Iraq or what we are doing:

too fricking bad...

Stop buying our oil...

How would you react?

No, I'm not putting the US on the same level as Iraq, just pointing out that the right to debate and criticize is one of the things the US is supposed to be fighting this war for in the first place.

If you disagree with people, present counter-arguments, don't just tell them to shut up or call for censorship.

Have to say that I think all that is relevant has been posted on here pro and anit-war.

Some of these posts have become a little too out of hand when we attack each other personally and this is not the place or time to do this IMHO.

Others viewpoints ARE important to me but, the sad fact is....nothing on this board will change my opinion. I'm just curious how all of this is being depicted overseas, but I can also get that from other international news sites.
    Granted it's not the thoughts and views personally of those that post here but, this fighting on ABW needs to end.

Maybe it's time for a break from reading here until this is over and done with.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Granted it's not the thoughts and views personally of those that post here but, this fighting on ABW needs to end.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't seen any fighting. Sporadic name calling, sure. But even that has been minimal. Overall, a healthy exchange in my opinion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MJCB:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The one thing I am REALLy getting sick and tired of is people from other countries constantly putting down the US.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Suppose I said,

For those who don't like Iraq or what we are doing:

too fricking bad...

Stop buying our oil...

How would you react?.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I do think Iraq pretty much did say that to the world. (as well as many posters in essence have. They came not to debate but to incite hatred. This is not a good thing.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If you disagree with people, present counter-arguments, don't just tell them to shut up or call for censorship.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do agree with you - and I like a good debate. My problem is that there are some people who don't want to debate - they just want to argue for it's own sake. Sh!t stirrers.

And, I do feel like instead of debating the issues it has come down to anti US all around.

That makes me mad for the reasons I stated..

When people start putting down other peoples countries just for the sake of doing it and just to be ugly (which has been the tone IMHO) then people get upset.

Vicki
    American and durn proud of it

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

Just a clarification on statements I was talking about. All copy and paste NO editing. The following are from posts made on ABW....

"Judging by your racist and anti-muslim remarks you certainly have no credibility. And I really doubt any arab would come near you if you say the anti-muslim crap that you have been preaching in this forum.

I was really holding up on that one but he asked for it.

You've obviously chosen your side. Care to meet ME outside?

Judging from the BS you write you have a severe case of brainwashing.

Give it up warmongers, you have no credibility and nothing to back up your absurd and false claims.

and yes your next world police station is N Korea my dear warmonger but first you have to finish what you've started in iraq.

IF YOU INDEED AGREE WITH THAT STATEMENT then WTF are you doing here but antagonizing and instigating?

The missile knew? WTF does that mean? Your statement that a MISSILE has a mind of its own if PROOF that you do not have one of your own."

[This message was edited by ElaineM on March 26, 2003 at 11:23 AM.]

must be other places to argue about the war, I thought this place was about making dollars

I would agree to stop posting my views on the war if the war supporters agreed on keeping the topic at AM as well. We all got along fine doing affiliate biz I think we can stay within business only and avoid our personal views on what our governments did, are doing, or will do.

The problem is that war is such a touching subject that everyone gets their emotions out posting on a forum that is related to what they do for living, we all understand that, we've gotten our feelings out and maybe it's enough.

I live from affiliate business and this forum is where I end my workdays, obviously I care about the opinions of the other members here whom I consider co-workers, it's kinda lonely working in this business. And that is probably why I care when someone posts something with wich I disagree, obviously a war is no simple subject and we've all gotten a bit nervous here and there.

Like ElaineM showed there's plenty of bashing that I took as well, she quoted Brian's posts against me mostly but we've all gotten a bit emotional now and then and I've also posted plenty of sutff that would never have been spoken by me against any of you if it weren't for this war.

War is indeed a delicate subject, we can draw that final conclusion and agree to disagree and hope that, even for the sake of our jobs, that it ends soon and without further offtopic and inflamed discussions.

I'm offering a friendly hand to those whom I've opposed and I propose we de-escalate(military speak is everywhere these days) the war discussion and keep it to only VERY relevant facts, one example would be the END of the war or some important discovery.

I propose, as we all agree that war is too controversial a topic, that we stick to war-related posts ONLY when:

1 - A *very* significant new event has taken place

2 - A *reliable* and trusted source is quoted to keep the discussion factual.

3 - Personal attacks will not be the cause for posting.

4 - War posts only on moderator-assigned war-designated threads.

Otherwise I propose we consider the war issue an offtopic and undesirable subject of discussion.

Can we agree on something to this effect?

I, as a confessed opposer of war, would agree.

I don't think it's necessary to have a guideline such as you propose so much as we just keep it toned down a notch or two. (My Opinion)

I completely accept and agree what moneychaser just posted. As I've stated once before, I also consider you all co-workers and to carry this on further, solves nothing and creates only more bad feelings between us.

Edited because I STILL can't spell!!!!

(Takes off moderator hat for a moment).

There are some interesting points being raised, and I think a genuine exchange of ideas which is interesting because we have members from all over the world, who will all have very different perspectives and interesting points.

However, I think there are two problems.. one is that the threads are springing up all over the place, and two is that there is absolutely no justification for the kind of abusive remarks that have been posted in a small minority of cases.

(Puts on moderator hat)

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. And because ABW is an international community, those opinions can be diverse, however we do operate under certain rules, specifically:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In particular this means (in my view) that any post that makes offensive comments about (for example) Muslims or Americans in general is not allowed.

If ABWers want to continue talking about these issues they need to bear these points in mind or else run the risk of the topics being locked and further discussion barred.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

ABW Ambassador
    I reject all attempts to stop discussion here, unless it is by Haiko.

A proposition I DO agree with is to keep the war discussion inside the Midnight Cafe and not to let our opinions on the war affect our discussions elsewhere ate ABW.

There are no hard feelings on my part. I am very comfortable having a heated discussion about the war one moment, and sharing affiliate marketing strategies with the peacenics and warmongers alike the next.

Like I said, if Haiko wants to end discussion of news, then I will respect that.

Topics should be limited to the Café only and MUST be toned down.

For those who do not want to see those posts I suggest to use the active topics link in the nav bar ( http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=srch...ort_order=date ) instead of the New posts link; this way you can filter out the topics you want to read or respond to and not have to wade through the replies in the threads you don't want to see.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When people start putting down other peoples countries just for the sake of doing it and just to be ugly (which has been the tone IMHO) then people get upset.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Vicki, there I agree with you fully.

I think these threads are healthy and informative and give people a chance to let off steam so long as it doesn't become TOO ugly - it's definitely gone way over the line a few times.

Actually, if you go and look at the folks that started many of the threads here were anti-war. That it seemed, got many all excited (myself included).

By the same token, the Anti-War crowd while attacking the Bush administration, was inadvertently insulting many here as though they were attacking the US itself. I don't know if they meant to do it, but that's the way it came across. I hope they realize that.

Having said that, if there are any here that wish to criticize the US, then they should expect we will defend ourselves.

Fred

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it." Abraham Lincoln

I like to discuss the topic, but I get incredibly frustrated with people (whether they agree or disagree with my point of view) that refuse to listen to opposing viewpoints, try to win an argument by shouting down anyone who disagrees, bring in personal attacks, or argue from the assumption that absolutely anyone who holds an opposing opinion has questionable motives at best, and a complete ulterior agenda at worst.

I have very strong opinions on this subject, but I prefer to argue them in an atmosphere of constructive debate, not in a firefight, so I am avoiding the whole discussion on this -- and most other -- online lists. Very few people seem to understand how to disagree constructively about things that are important to them, or to aknowlege even the possibility of genuine good intentions on the part of those who disagree.

This, I think, is the root of most of our problems.

*sigh*

(rant mode off, over and out)

SirenSong
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread