ABW Ambassador
    Hello all...

I was having a discussion with my cousin late last evening concerning profiling in America pertaining to terrorism. I am not a fan of racial profiling, but my cousin says it makes sense to him. He bolstered his argument by sending me the following. What do you think?

Please pause a moment, reflect back, and take the following Multiple Choice test. (The events are actual cuts from past history. They actually happened! Do you remember?)

1. In 1972 at the Munich Olympics, athletes were kidnaped and massacred by:
    a. Olga Corbitt
    b. Sitting Bull
    c. Arnold Schwartzeneger
    d. Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40

2. In 1979, the U.S. embassy in Iran was taken over by:
    a. Lost Norwegians
    b. Elvis
    c. A tour bus full of 80-year-old women
    d. Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40.

3. During the 1980's a number of Americans were kidnaped in Lebanon by:
    a. John Dillinger
    b. The King of Sweden
    c. The Boy Scouts

4. In 1983, the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up by:
    a. A pizza delivery boy
    b. Pee Wee Herman
    c. Geraldo Rivera

5. In 1985 the cruise ship Achille Lauro was hijacked and a 70 year old American passenger was murdered and thrown overboard in his wheelchair by:
    a. The Smurfs
    b. Davy Jones
    c. The Little Mermaid

6. In 1985 TWA flight 847 was hijacked at Athens, and a U.S. Navy diver trying to rescue passengers was murdered by:
    a. Captain Kid
    b. Charles Lindberg
    c. Mother Teresa

7. In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by:
    a. Scooby Doo
    b. The Tooth Fairy
    c. Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid

8. In 1993 the World Trade Center was bombed the first time by:
    a. Richard Simmons
    b. Grandma Moses
    c. Michael Jordan

9. In 1998, the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were bombed by:
    a. Mr. Rogers
    b. Hillary, to distract attention from Wild Bill' s women problems
    c. The World Wrestling Federation

10. On 9/11/01, four airliners were hijacked; two were used as missiles to take out the World Trade Centers and of the remaining two, one crashed into the US Pentagon and the other was diverted to a crash by the passengers. Thousands of people were killed by:
    a. Bugs Bunny, Wiley E. Coyote, Daffy Duck and Elmer Fudd
    b. The Supreme Court of Florida
    c. Mr. Bean

11. In 2002 the United States fought a war in Afghanistan against:
    a. Enron
    b. The Lutheran Church
    c. The NFL

12. In 2002 reporter Daniel Pearl was kidnaped and murdered by:
    a. Bonny and Clyde
    b. Captain Kangaroo
    c. Billy Graham

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

I think the crucial word in this and many other situations is the word extremist! There is no right to profile any race color or creed based on a select group, that is nothing but bigotry!

The actions of a few do not represent the thoughts of all!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    I agree wholeheartedly Haiko.

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I think the crucial word in this and many other situations is the word extremist! There is no right to profile any race color or creed based on a select group, that is nothing but bigotry! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

EXACTLY!!!

[[Edited by Popdawg because it was turning into just another popdawg rant ]]

Game on!!!!

Here are some more questions:
    1- In 1995, Federal Building in OK City was destroyed killing 164 mostly children and women by:
    a. Enron
    b. The Lutheran Church
    c. The NFL
    d. Causasian male extremists

2- The Symbionese Liberation Army consisted of:
    a. Enron
    b. The Lutheran Church
    c. The NFL

3- The IRA has been killing civilians for decades. They consist of:
    a. Enron
    b. The Lutheran Church
    c. The NFL

4- In 2001, a Sikh was shot dead at a gas station in Arizona by: (he claimed he was getting revenge for 9/11):
    a. Enron
    b. The Lutheran Church
    c. The NFL

5- In 2001, who was arrest in a plot to set off pipe bombs at the office of U.S. Congressman Darrell Issa, and the famed King Fahd mosque in Los Angeles.
    a. Enron
    b. The Lutheran Church
    c. The NFL
    d. Jewish Extremists

I'm sure there are more since I just slapped these together. But you get my drift. You have posted 12 questions that support racial profiling, but you need to look at the big picture.

Lets not forget, in 1995 when Yitzhak Rabin was assassinated. The security forces undoubtedly engaged in racial profiling of muslims were not able to stop a right wing jewish extremist from walking right up to Rabin and blowing his brains out. Do you think any muslim could have gotten that close to him?

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

This is the most meaningless thread I've ever seen at abw over a year and half.

-NO WAR-

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    OBdon and Haiko obviously point out that Muslem extremists are a real danger to the liberties and lives of all peoples. Some raise the bodies of these extremists and parade them as Martyrs as if they were God Like dieties rather then murdering terrorists. There in lies the problem of racial profiling. When a culture openly breeds -trains and arms these extremist killers and gives them hero status they DESERVE to be profiled till they publically weed these murderers from their ranks and not give them money and a home base to carry on business as usual.

Asking Islam to police their ranks sure has been a worthless waste of retoric for 50 years. Currently the Arab and Islamic world does not believe in publishing their own top 50 most wanted terrorist list to warn others of the dangers. They are too busy hiding them and sneaking them past the profilers. I'm proud that GWB is the only one on their most wanted list as he's easy to spot and like all infidels is easy to profile as a terrorist target.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    iucpxleps...

If that is a fact, then you obviously seldom read your own posts once you manage to dribble them onto the screen.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

it's not a fact, it's my opinion.

-NO WAR-

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think the crucial word in this and many other situations is the word extremist! There is no right to profile any race color or creed based on a select group, that is nothing but bigotry!

The actions of a few do not represent the thoughts of all!

Haiko
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    DITTO!

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Hey OBdon. Knowing what you know about our reasoning behind this War on Terrorism and Iraq would you re-enlist for another tour of duty. I know I would as long as they didn't stick me on a PBR boat like in VietNam. Being a slow moving target for 17 months makes me drool for airforce jet or Apache gunship duty.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Hello Mike...

If you are asking me if I would enlist again were I a younger man, then the answer would be yes indeed. However, I am certain that the U.S. Navy would have little use for an old frogman with a ruptured eardrum.

Obstinatedon

Mahatma Gandhi

Don I think Charlie would have a better chance at getting in than me at my age. Little did I know that volunteering for the coast guard wouldn't give me a safe stateside tour. The Navy now uses Dolphins as frogmen for spotting and tagging mines. A dangerous job in Iraq for frogmen and seals would be to eliminate the explosives on the bridges around Bagdad. War tactics change as you were trained to set those charges.

Charlie ...

I am firmly convinced that the vast majority of Muslims and Arabs in the US are good, hard working folks who only want to be a part of the American dream.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

March 26, 2003
    --
    Minefield-Clearing Bunnies: Shepard Smith on the Fox News Channel without irony introduced the Americans' latest not-so-secret weapon as the "newest addition to the coalition of the willing, dolphins." That's right. We've hookwinked Flipper to seek out explosives in Iraq's polluted, mined harbors. Is that sick as hell, or what? Mine-spotting dolphins are no more willing than the canon fodder Saddam sent to the frontlines in the first Gulf War. The media is reporting it like some kind of cute "animal" story. Am I the only one who thinks that bribing animals with fish to take risks they have no idea they are taking is completely evil? I'm not much of an animal rights advocate, but this has got to cross some ethical lines. I wonder what Peter Singer would have to say about it. What's next, throwing bunny rabbits into mine fields? Kamikaze gerbils? Sharks with lasers?

-NO WAR-

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am firmly convinced that the vast majority of Muslims and Arabs in the US are good, hard working folks who only want to be a part of the American dream. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I am convinced of that too...only problem is that most of them hate Americans .

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Am I the only one who thinks that bribing animals with fish to take risks they have no idea they are taking is completely evil? I'm not much of an animal rights advocate, but this has got to cross some ethical lines. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While I wouldn't call it "completely evil", I do agree that it's a dirty deal for the dolphins and an unethical practice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What's next, throwing bunny rabbits into mine fields? Kamikaze gerbils? Sharks with lasers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't be overly amazed, except for the "throwing bunnies" part. It'd be easier to train rodents or some similar animals to run across the potential minefield. Note that my lack of amazement, does NOT mean that I would agree with such practices!

Many who are aware of these types of practices have made their opposition well known during peacetime. There had been a project to train dolphins to plant explosives on ships, which was widely opposed. That project seemed to fade away (don't count on it being closed either), and I wasn't happy to see that it had mutated into minespotting.

I think it's wrong to press intelligent animals into the service of human hostilities in this modern day and age. The press can spin it as a "cute animal" story, but the military can expect to be jumped on by animal-rights people ASAP as soon as it gets out just how dangerous that assignment is (and the din of the argument of whether we should be at war at all dies down a bit). Americans didn't force the issue of "dolphin-safe tuna" here only to see dolphins get unwittingly slaughtered in war instead!

As for the war itself, you can put me on record as a "pro-war" but that doesn't mean I agree with all the tactics, or all the spin.

When it comes to racial profiling (the thread topic), I agree w/Haiko that *extremists* are the danger. If I spot any out, of any type, I try to keep my distance! But the problem is, not all extremists go around making themselves obvious--at least not until it's too late, anyway...

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am firmly convinced that the vast majority of Muslims and Arabs in the US are good, hard working folks who only want to be a part of the American dream.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So am I Ssanf. That doesn't answer the question of racial profiling however. I am still against the concept at this point, but who knows how I will feel should another group of young muslim men blow up the Sears Tower.

Obstinatedon

One of the most horrible features of war is that all war propaganda and anti-war propaganda; all the screaming and lies and hatred, comes invariably from people who are not fighting; will not fight, could not fight, or - are simply too unpatriotic to fight. It is the same in all wars: the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, naysayers abound, and none of these true patriots or whiners ever gets near a front-line trench.

A rewrite from Orwell

let me tell you a little story about racial profiling.

i had a friend (who's black), who had a friend (who's white).

they had a little scheme where they'd both walk into a store, then go their separate ways. while the clerks kept an eagle eye on the black girl, the white girl stuffed merchandise under her clothing. then she casually left the store. of course, the clerks were still watching the black girl.

see, there's two sides to racial profiling (stereotyping): sometimes it can actually work against you.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread