ABW Ambassador
    Affiliate Link in Moderator's Sig
    I'm disappointed that despite my reporting this ABW rule infraction that a Moderator continues to display an affiliate link in his sig. Shouldn't moderators be enforcing rules rather than breaking them?

PM on it's way
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

OK the link in question is Dynamoo's link from spreadfirefox.com which is to distribute firefox and only is a contest with no renumeration at all as such, I don't think it qualifies as a true affiliate link, it only uses the nomenclature of "affiliate" as a part of the software, they could have used pickle=1234 instead of affiliate=1234.

While I do understand that it may set a poor example as it "technically" is a link, but the impetus and true end result is only for good ... his sig says "sick of slimeware, download firefox". It would be an issue if it said buy a MAC and it was an aff link for a mac.

If I'm off base or someone else sees this as a lack of integrity or continuity of ABW rules please feel free to post here or PM me and I and the rest of the Mod team will be happy to discuss the issue as the last thing we want to be is disingenuous.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Haiko,
    I mentioned this in a pm a while back when I first saw it. You gave the same explanation to me. I appreciate the consistency. And I don't think I mind a mod having an affiliate link in the sig as a 'reward' for all the work they do here.

The problem that may occur would be if they go overboard and this opens that door. While I don't think any of them would, you may wish to create a limit that mods may only have one affiliate link and it is subject to your approval.

Lets face it, the mods get a lot of crap heaped at them and they are on the ball here 24/7. I reported a spam post last night at 3am eastern and it was gone in 10 minutes.

Not everyone could put up with what these folks do and to give them a little 'perk' for doing this isn't the end of the world.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I don't think any of the moderators here are looking for a perk or reward. The rules should (and do) apply to us as much as they apply to any member.

Despite the terminology that Firefox might use, I have a hard time seeing a Firefox link as an affiliate link. It's just advancing the browser, not earning Dynamoo any financial gain.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I don't think anyone on the mod team would take advantage of a traditional aff link even if I allowed it, it's not on their agenda. I think we are all on the same page ethics and common good [of the industry] wise.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    OK the link in question is Dynamoo's link from spreadfirefox.com which is to distribute firefox and only is a contest with no renumeration at all as such, I don't think it qualifies as a true affiliate link, it only uses the nomenclature of "affiliate" as a part of the software, they could have used pickle=1234 instead of affiliate=1234.

While I do understand that it may set a poor example as it "technically" is a link, but the impetus and true end result is only for good ... his sig says "sick of slimeware, download firefox".
    If the impetus and true end result are only for good, I propose that the affiliate string be removed from the link and from the image to comply with the stated rules of this forum. After all, standard links comply.

Snowman: While I often agree with you (a point that I'm sure makes your day), I think this argument is a little pointless. All the afftrack does in that link is run up a counter, which can be accomplished by many means aside from that. Unfortunately, Spreadfirefox had decided to use the term affiliate in their own context, which is far different from ours.

If we looked at this example exactly FWIW, then I shouldn't be able to track SAS sign up locations from here (which I could but don't) or append other tracking mechanisms that had any combination of letters surrounding AFF somewhere.

This one is purely a semantic debate, unless there's anyway the Mod could financially gain from it. Which, if that's possible, I will withdraw my remarks entirely.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    If the impetus and true end result are only for good, I propose that the affiliate string be removed from the link and from the image to comply with the stated rules of this forum. After all, standard links comply.
    There is a big difference between a tracking link and an affiliate link, and that is the distinction being made here. It is NOT an affiliate link, so is not breaking the rules.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Internet Cowboy
    I don't see this as a debate of semantics at all.
    We don't post affiliate sites here, but we post some.
    We don't make political posts here, but some do in the name of it being a joke.
    This is a serious continuity issue that ties in to the other continuity issues here lately. That being said, I could care less if affiliate links are posted in anyone's sig, but rules are rules. Right?

Yeah,Scoot, but it's not an affiliate link
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Internet Cowboy
    Sometimes in life there is no reality, only perception.

If someone posts a link in their sig with the "q=affiliates&id=xxxxx" in it, that looks, smells and feels like an affiliate link to me and I dare say to most other members here.
    Again, I am not debating the fact that the link is there, I don't care. What I am saying is that it adds to the list of other seeming inconsistencies here.

Does this mean that I can make a special arrangement with an indy program to add their link to my sig and announce publicly that I am not being compensated for sales resulting from it, even if you have no way of verifying that?

I guarantee you that if you remove this thread and set up a poll asking all members if this mod has an affiliate link in their sig, with no other explanation, 90%+ will say yes they do.

In the past ABW has had very clearly cut rules about certain things, many of which are now ignored or are explained away. That's all I am saying. Where is this line drawn?

Who really shives a git?

It's Haiko's site. He says it's OK. Oh well, case closed.

There's a difference between "Letter of the Law" and "Spirit of the Law" <--- non-affiliate link.

Even Freud said it's not good to split hairs. <----non-affiliate link, but very on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    We don't post affiliate sites here
    Right, affiliate links are not allowed.
    but we post some.
    No we out bad players in the industry - those are the sites we allow to be posted.
    We don't make political posts here, but some do in the name of it being a joke.
    Yeah maybe your right, it is black and white, and we should be more controlling ... pfffft.
    This is a serious continuity issue that ties in to the other continuity issues here lately.
    Oh Bullshooty, stir it up elsewhere.
    Does this mean that I can make a special arrangement with an indy program to add their link to my sig and announce publicly that I am not being compensated for sales resulting from it, even if you have no way of verifying that?
    Even more bullshooty, this time with a capital B! Your alledging that Moo has a private deal with FF? Come on man, cut it out, this is just rediculous.

Lastly, who is ignoring or exusing anything away?

Ask or complain but be truthful and I guarrantee a real and truthful answer or resolution, I don't have time nor patience for bullhockey in my life, nor in my business.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Now if anyone has an issue with this specific link please post it in this thread.

If there are any other issues please post it in a new thread and as I said I will address them.

If you want to stir up Bullshooty, please ... read my post above
    Continued Success,

Haiko

The referral link has been removed.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    An easy workaround would be for him to post a straight link - not to firefox, but to a page that has the "special" link... and that one could have the counter and have it say "click here to continue"

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    The referral link has been removed.
    Thank you for making the right decision, Haiko.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    There is a big difference between a tracking link and an affiliate link, and that is the distinction being made here. It is NOT an affiliate link, so is not breaking the rules.
    If only others made the obvious distinction so easily.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

No matter what the rules are for any forum there needs to be room for the owners and moderators to decide what needs to be done when something is in question. Nothing in this world is really black and white, yes or no. I appreciate how well this forum functions and would not be a moderator if it was not so.

I don't necessarily agree with
    Thank you for making the right decision, Haiko.
    , but it is a good example of how this forum is alive and must adapt for the betterment of the forum, not always the betterment of the individual. In this case, I'm not sure it was for the betterment of either, but I respect Haiko's wisdom and decision making process.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Moderators can be given the opportunity to add ref links because of their hard work, but again this leads to different policies and members not satisfied because someone who tells them to follow the rules are breaking it.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread