Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Will he take it down? Registrant Search, is it right or wrong?
    domaintools.com is asking that question.

'A lot of people are asking me to take Registrant Search down. Clearly this tool has a lot of power and people are pissed that it is available. People can abuse the tool and do a lot of investigating that one can argue they shouldn’t be allowed to. So the question I have to ask myself is do I keep it up'

http://blog.domaintools.com/2007/11/...ight-or-wrong/

I read that but didn't reply at DomainTools.com because I was definitely going to be in a minority.

It's a two-edged sword. Yes, it means that DomainTools.com has a good idea of all the domains I have ever owned, which isn't always a good thing,

On the other hand, it's a good tool if you're investigating others. I recently used it in support of a DMCA complaint I filed.

It isn't cheap either.

Here's the thing - I've always wondered why such as thing *wasn't* available because it seems so obvious. Someone would do it eventually, and DomainTools certainly has the know-how.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Whois information is public info, this is a very powerful tool but even worse ... it's cheap so basically anyone can use it. His pricing and this posting is obviously designed to make the service viral with drama and paranoia to have it explode sales wise.

There is much to be learned from this example, Grasshopper
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    They're also scraping all the whois info to populate their about-us site PageRank honeypot site which may have the email addies in a graphic, but they're still being harvested (cheap labor, you know - like the kind that spam forums for pennies) and IMHO that's potentially where all the increase in big dick spam is coming from.

I think it's a valuable service, and if they don't do it someone else will.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Its too blurry, I can't read past the 1st letter .

I see it as an insider way to learn tactics from the best affiliates/businesses/domain junkies out there. If they don't lie on the whois and use their business/personal name for all of their owned domains, this could be very valuable information that is easily worth the cost of admission.

-sfcom

ABW Ambassador
    i don't buy the "someone else will" analogy.

when will that stop? after all things about you is easily available for a price. like how much do you earn? how much/many property do you own, and where? who are your family and relatives? etc. i agree that overall, it is bad. crooks can easily case you.

and i believe they already have been using that.

how many times have i receive calls saying that they are my registrar offering me discounts if i renew with them only over the phone. and with the info they are dropping, they can make you believe that they are registrar insiders and are legit. hellooo? i wasn't born yesterday. hehe

and i am also aware that bad guys call the registrars pretending to be the registrant, hoping that the registrar will give them addition info to access your account.

this is a tool for hackers and domain hijackers.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    ... IMHO that's potentially where all the increase in big dick spam is coming from.
    Creeps!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Just as an interesting exercise, I typed my own name in. Apparently that data is worth $124 So yeah, I guess it might be nice if it was *more*, but it does at least deter casual snooping.

One thing I have noticed is that an increasing number of WHOIS records *are* cached on Google from DomainTools and other sources. Just Googling your contact details can often bring up some interesting domain-related results.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

This is a double-edged sword, and unfortunately I think it means several things:

- black/grey market people will increasingly obfuscate their whois info (either make it up or purchase anonymity.
    - super affiliates will go to greater lengths to hide their activities.
    - white hat people that use common techniques will not do anything different

I wouldn't be surprised if they are forced to remove old contact information in some jurisdictions. More information can be round here: http://www.internetprivacyadvocate.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    Its too blurry, I can't read past the 1st letter .
    I agree !

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread