Turkey has a bad record

“Turkey has a bad record of violations against civilians while battling rebel Kurds in southeastern Turkey. It needs to be taking precautionary steps today, to make sure its troops don’t commit repeat violations in any operations it undertakes in northern Iraq.”

(New York, March 26, 2003) Turkish authorities should be taking steps to avoid repeating past violations in any operations in northern Iraq, Human Rights Watch said today.

In a letter sent to Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Human Rights Watch recalled gross violations committed in the fifteen-year conflict in southeastern Turkey. Those violations included widespread arbitrary detentions, torture, extrajudicial executions, unlawful expulsions, and destruction of civilian property. Although the conflict with the rebel Kurdish Workers’ Party (PKK) essentially ended with a unilateral PKK ceasefire in 1999, little has been done in Turkey to hold those responsible for the abuse accountable or to purge the security forces of violators.

“Turkey has a bad record of violations against civilians while battling rebel Kurds in southeastern Turkey,” said Elizabeth Andersen, executive director of Human Rights Watch’s Europe and Central Asia division. “It needs to be taking precautionary steps today, to make sure its troops don’t commit repeat violations in any operations it undertakes in northern Iraq.”

During the conflict between Turkish security forces and the Kurdish Workers' Party (PKK) from 1984 to 1999 in southeastern Turkey, Human Rights Watch documented gross human rights violations committed by both sides against civilians and prisoners. State security forces detained thousands of citizens for interrogation under torture. Between 1980 and 2000, more than 400 prisoners died, apparently as a result of torture, at the hands of Turkish police or gendarmes. Security forces emptied large areas of the countryside in the southeast by bombing and burning unarmed peasant settlements. Hundreds of thousands are still displaced. In the early 1990s, the Turkish security forces are believed to have sponsored networks of killers to eliminate hundreds of suspected enemies of the state by gunning them down in the street or making them "disappear."

Human Rights Watch Press release

~*~*~*~

Vicki

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

Geez Vicki so it's payback time huh?

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=...1696033072&p=7

---
    Maybe you can start stopping the war in iraq and quit the practicing of death penalty and then come here and post about human rights. All world knows the US human practices.

btw I dont say it's perfect here but it's getting better as other countries let us be and free from supported terrorism which you should know better what it means after 9/11 and we had to live wit h it 15! years with 40k deaths. go compare it to 9/11 and patriotic act passed by your gov and then go back compare it to our struggle which costed us some 200billion $ or more which in turn prevented every freaking $ would go to investments or education otherwise.

-NO WAR-

I think the point is every country has its dark side. We could find similar criticism from some point in modern history for just about anywhere, except possibly Tibet and Iceland.

But there's a danger we just end up in a "two wrongs make a right" situation. If the only people who can criticise others are those who themselves are blemish-free, then we'll never have any constructive criticism at all.

BTW I've spent some time in Turkey, in Istanbul, Ankara and Adana. In fact, I got within 100m of Tariq Aziz once, who was on a state visit.

I really liked the many Turks I met, with the exception of one taxi driver who ripped me off before I knew enough to work out how many 0's I was supposed to have on my banknotes.

And I'd love to see them in the EU, because I think that would accelerate the move toward a fully democratic and modern state.

With all due respect iucpxleps, I think your country still has some way to go on that path though.

But that's just a casual observation from someone who knows f all about the country really

"I really liked the many Turks I met, with the exception of one taxi driver who ripped me off before I knew enough to work out how many 0's I was supposed to have on my banknotes."

LMOA! I even confuse it sometime
    --
    "With all due respect iucpxleps, I think your country still has some way to go on that path though"

MJCB,

WE all say that and I'm one of the louder voices about it I never say it's perfect here and often in chat or priv talks I say what it is as is. As you say it's getting better day by day but we have many drawbacks here unfortunately. as we get over them it'd be better

-NO WAR-

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MJCB:
    I think the point is every country has its dark side. We could find similar criticism from some point in modern history for just about anywhere, except possibly Tibet and Iceland.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Iceland gave us Bjork, which I don't much care for. There's your dark side.

As I recall people were pretty football-crazy. The only words of your language I could utter were chi (?), Galatasary, Beskitas, and Fenerbahce. Those 4 words, plus knowing John Toshack was the then manager of Beskitas opened doors to everywhere.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Iceland gave us Bjork<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Argh, Bjork, yes I forgot about her. So it just looks like Tibet, then, which isn't even a country anymore, sadly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MJCB:
    As I recall people were pretty football-crazy. The only words of your language I could utter were chi (?), Galatasary, Beskitas, and Fenerbahce. Those 4 words, plus knowing John Toshack was the then manager of Beskitas opened doors to everywhere.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ehehe yeah we are football crazy although I'm not that much but I support Galatasaray

regarding "chi" well we dont have two consonants like that in turkish but if it sounds like "ki" -if you read it like in italian "chi"- it's in itself isnt a word but a cunjuction if it's not like italian then it could be "çiğ" which means ripe, uncooked or raw

-NO WAR-

ABW Ambassador
    I was under the impression that this forum was about affiliates and merchants. Why are you here talking about war? If you have an opinion about the war, then please find somewhere else to voice it

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

Hmmm...maybe it was chay then? The word for tea, anyway. Drank lots of it. In fact, I remember getting offered the fiftieth glass one day, and saying to my translator "no" and he saying, "it's not a question - the answer is always yes"

Ehehe yeah tea, it's "çay" like chay. I drink lots of in a day too

-NO WAR-

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread