Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    We decided to allow the war conversations because it is an integral part of our business and everyday life, however, since the discussions have degraded to nothing but name calling, personal attacks and profanity flinging we have officially decided to close and disallow any further Political discussions.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    In the alternative I might suggest setting a seperate forum and moving all related posts there.

Henry
    Pet Dealer AM
    Look for our Private Forum at ABW soon!

Thank you..it was getting to be a bit too much ...even for me =)

Daniel Fink
    Affiliate Marketing Coordinator
    FreeDebtConsolidation.com
    Dan@Intermarkmedia.com
    $7.5 Million paid to affiliates last year
    Highest Converting app on the Net!
    Private Forum at ABW

The next topic related to the war has to be:

The War is over.

Carsten

Shop-Links.net Partner
    Shop-Links.net

If you can't move things, try harder!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Can we still expect some who openly exposed themselves, including me, to eat some crow once it is over? That would be the only fair thing to do. I did say crow ..not parrot as thta would be disgusting.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Thank you Haiko, a good decision.

There are many places on the Internet where one can discuss the war, I suggest those who want to discuss the war go elsewhere.

Fred

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it." Abraham Lincoln

ABW Ambassador
    It's too bad. I thought it was a very good discussion, name-calling and all. Very healthy to get this out in the open, and I was looking forward to the day differences would be put aside.

Even little children know name-calling is no big deal ('sticks and stones...').

As for the people who did not want it discussed, the topic could have been moved to the bottom out of eyesight except to those who really wanted it.

Anyways, to all who participated, no hard feelings about our differences of opinion.

Excellent decision Haiko.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Good decision. Thanks! There are plenty of other places on the web where this can be done.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

What war? Did I miss something?

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

ABW Ambassador
    Makes sense Haiko...

The discussions have reached a point of baiting anyway.

Obstinatedon

Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return.

Anonymous

It did get well out of hand, but it's a shame.
    This is a good platform for these discussions, being international and comprised of people who otherwise have a common goal, and are quite ready to help each other.

ABW Ambassador
    Good... without all those war topics floating around, there can be no temptation to jump in on the conversation :;

So much of my job revolves around the war these days, it's nice to get away from it for a while ...

I think this is too bad. ABW has always allowed this sort of discussion. We would have been very lost after 911 without each other to talk to. And, as said this is a very good place to talk since we come from so many places. I hope you will open a current events forum. The shear number of posts proves that is sonething that is needed. As to other places, well, I really want to talk to the people here, not a bunch of strangers.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    I think different people view ABW differently.

Some view it strictly as a business forum (for example the AMs might see dollar signs instead of people).

But affiliate marketing involves people all over the world, and a lot of whom work alone. Thus ABW also serves as a social outlet. It is like a conference - people do business AND socialize.

I just think it is a great loss to the community when you can not pop in here at 3am in the middle of fixing pages on a website for anything besides business talk.

Ssanf, you are right about ABW allowing this sort of discussion, however I think it did get out of hand.

Several posts were started with an inflammatory nature. It seemed like there were about five or six threads, when two would do. Unfortunately, some (on both sides) chose to get angry enough to call names.

Remember, this is also a very emotional topic for some. Some see what is going on and the humanity involved gets some upset, whether it is the civilians that are killed, or a loved one who is over there fighting.

Maybe just too hot...?

Fred

"Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it." Abraham Lincoln

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    As to other places, well, I really want to talk to the people here, not a bunch of strangers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with you Ssanf. But it is for the owner of the board to decide if he will allow or not these kinds of posts.

HOWEVER, I don't think that this thread should have been locked, as it is not a political comment http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=3056040472 and which will impact our lives.

ABW Ambassador
    Amen. Good move Haiko. I found myself trying to ignore the posts only to be pulled in (for reasons I will not post as to start the flame here).

chet

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Haiko,

I know how strongly you believe in the freedom of speech and the ability for people to have a venue to communicate and express their ideas. I'm sure the decision was not an easy one for you, but I do think it unfortuately became a necessary for the time being.

For those who are not happy with this decision, I would just like to offer something to think about. Many pleas and then statements were previously issued by both Haiko and mods for things to be toned down. Things did not tone down. If they had, then I'm pretty certain that the ability to continue to post in these areas would have to remain open.

As far as name calling not being a big deal, I'm glad that it isn't for you Jimbo, but it is for many. I would half agree as far as little children, but only that the sticks and stone phrase in normally used by little children when other little children are doing the name calling. As adults, we should have matured past that by now. I know I have personally had several people who have told me they were being hurt and offended by the name calling. And others saying that they have just about reading anything on the boards because of all the "heated discussions." Hopefully, people will settle down or at least find a way to post more constructively in the future, so open discussions can continue.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well put OBdon as not one of the anti-war group can refute this as absolute truth.

"Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not return."

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Well it'll be more productive for me as I wont have to perch on ABW in order to debate from now on

-NO WAR-

It's not the only place where debate is getting heated.. the US ambassador walked out of the UN debate ealier today. I guess this wasn't to work on his website though.

Anybody fancy working on a form of Geek Code for this? So W-- SH--- GWB- TB- UN+ JC+ US+ OS+++ means "anti war, very anti Saddam, not hapy with Bush or Blair, agree with Chirac, quite like Americans, and very much hope it's Over Soon"

On a more postive side, I understand that the senior executive of the Gator Corporation have been parachuted into Baghdad wearing "I Hate Saddam" T-Shirts and armed only with an array of fresh fruit.

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

Though I think it was getting a bit out of hand I do agree with Ssanf we need a current affairs thread.
    9/11 was a horrific time we got together to offer support to each other and vent our tears, anger and frustrations.

This is no different, and current affairs do have a direct relation to affiliate marketing, sales, spending habits, value of the dollar.

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador
    If folks were careful to follow the rules of classical logic we could discuss just about anything and learn from each other, even if the issues were difficult.

Oh well, one can dream ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast