Talking How many of you use an online backup service?
    I finally found the time to give a backup system a shot recently (after doing a lot of reading). The service I chose to use is called: Mozy (mozy.com). Of all the services out there, they seemed to be the cheapest, and yet offer a good set of features. One feature being the ability to use your own encryption key - and therefore locking it down to everyone (including those that work at Mozy). I'm still testing it, to make sure I want to make their service my permanent backup service.

On the other side, IBackup seemed pretty spiffy, as did Carbonite. I read some good info from the following site (for those of you interested): http://www.consumersearch.com/www/in...ces/index.html

What about some of you users out there? Any recommendations or tips? Or opinons on why these services shouldn't be used?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Or opinons on why these services shouldn't be used?
    I won't go so far as to say "shouldn't," but I wonder if the upload time for an entire PC's worth of data would be a strong deterrent to regular use.

Also, the amounts of data they store at the cheap prices is in the joke range. 2GB?! LOL Might as well just burn a CD or 2...

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    I won't go so far as to say "shouldn't," but I wonder if the upload time for an entire PC's worth of data would be a strong deterrent to regular use.

Also, the amounts of data they store at the cheap prices is in the joke range. 2GB?! LOL Might as well just burn a CD or 2...

Yeah, I guess it'll all depend on the amount of data someone has to backup. For me, it's relatively small (under 6 GB - which is mainly just site and related scripts/files/images, etc). Database and other host stuff is backed up on that server.

Although Mozy's standard account offters unlimited GB storage, time will of course be the priority issue. They say a user should be able to upload/store roughly 4GB per day with their backup system (the one that incrementally uploads your files while your computer is idle).

Yeah, dunno if it'll be worth it, but hey, it's the free service..

Overall though, I have to say I do really like their actual incremental backup technology. I simply do my work as usual, and whenver I have slow times, it jumps in and takes over. You can also schedule to backups another way (by setting a date/time setting). All their other settings make things easier as well (like throttling, and so forth).

Let's see what a few more days brings. To tell you the truth, I'd like to work with IBackup first, but chose the cheap way...

I have been happy with Data Deposit Box at $2 per gig. I have had them a couple of years.

It's set and forget. Just mark the directories you want backed up and it monitors for changes. I have it set to keep 3 versions of each file.

Last month's bill was $2.96 for 1.43 GB. They have a clean up where you can have it compare their server with your PC to get rid of junk that you no longer have marked to backup.

I use carbonite.. Flat rate per year. It doesn't back up USB drives or anything just the local drive. I have used it to recover data when I made an "oopsie".. That was my one mistake for the year.

Amazon's S3 service is another option. It's pretty inexpensive, and there a bunch of third-party tools available to suit it to a variety of uses.

I used to use a company called bqbackup they were pretty reasonable.

now i just run it on the server then back up to external drive.

ABW Ambassador
    It's definitly worth having an off-site backup as well as local backups like on usb drives & DVD etc. thanks for the mini review on mozy.com, I might look into them myself. 2-6 gigs should be plenty to back up important files like local copies of sites & databases, email & important docs. Just about everything else can be replaced if there was a disaster.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I was about to sign up with the box until I read this thread. Now I think I will try data deposit box.

I think online back up solutions aren't that great, after all their hardware fails too and unless they back up your data which some don't unless you pay extra yu may lose it anyway.

I personally have two back ups, one of my computer to an external drive and a back up of that drive to a networked drive.

I second what bumbpaw said. I've been using datadepositbox for about 8 months now and love it. It is truly set and forget. I love how it backs up in (almost) real time. Cheap too!

~Bob

I am doing something different. I bought a tiny external 80 MB HDD (one that is plug-n-play through a USB port) for something like 80 bucks on eBay. Bought it about half a year ago. Never regretted the money spent on it. Fast, and extremely convenient to use.

Geno

Please make a CD or DVD copy of your backup files. Take it to the bank 1x/month and put it in your safe deposit box. That way if anything happens to your house/office, you would have that as a starting point for your important stuff.

-sfcom

Or get a fire resistant safe and put your backup dvds in there from time to time.

I had been using an NSLU2 (NAS), but ultimately I found the time spent managing it to be too much.

The online backup solutions sound shockingly inexpensive. I think I'll give Mozy a try.

There is a new firebox with a built in hard drive coming out in January from Sentry

Good points guys. I've done a couple of hard backups and have them stored in my local firebox.

The online service just makes it so convenient, in the sense that it runs in the background while you're working.

By the way, I ended up switching over to IBackup. Mozy wasn't working quite as fast as I wanted it to (also had a few hiccups). The new one works 20 times faster.

I tried Data Deposit Box but it was way too slow for me. After 4 days it was still less than 50% backed up. I'm now trying iBackup and it's about 67% done is less than 20 minutes so it looks like a winner for me so far.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread