What gives with overstock coupons?
    They send affiliates an 8% off + $1 shipping coupon. I visited overstock today and see 10% off + 1$ shipping coupon right on the front page. Whats up with that?

Last edited by scutar; November 15th, 2007 at 12:08 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't see that, are you talking about the 10% Off Sheets & Comforter Sets? That's more of a discount for specific items not anything on the site like the regular coupons.

I see the 10% deals the OP noted. But that would'nt override an affiliates cookie would it? When I follow my aff link, I only see the smaller discount. 7%, 8% etc.

I guess they can offer a bigger discount when no affiliate needs to be paid, lol.

It does make it seem like my coupon site is offering inferior deals though...

ABW Ambassador
    Ok, I cleared my cookies and see it now. What you can do is just make a coupon link. Take a home page text link and say 10% off for new customers in the link. Usually you don't see that too often where a merchant has a better coupon right on the home page then the one they send out to affiliates.

ABW Ambassador
    This is very disappointing. The affiliate coupon for new customers is 8% off which applied even before the O Day sale was launched today.

Take a home page text link and say 10% off for new customers in the link.
    I do things like that sometimes, but in this case they don't seem to have any offer exp. date. So you have to go back everyday and check if it still works.

And if the (affiliates) customer follows my 'homepage' link, but never sees and applies the 10% coupon, (I never saw it following my aff link) the customer will feel like they were mislead by my site.

ABW Ambassador
    When scutar posted two nights ago, I forwarded this thread to Overstock at the email address used for affiliate communications, asking for a response. When I hadn't heard from them by late yesterday afternoon, I forwarded it directly to one of the Overstock affiliate managers. Still receiving no response, I just called that affiliate manager. He hadn't received my email or the additional one I sent him while we were on the phone. He did receive the last email I sent from a different email address.

He said they sometimes run their own non-affiliate promotions. I told him that reflects very poorly on the affiliate's site as we are advertising deals that Overstock is trumping directly.

I asked him to please post here what he told me. He said they do not post on ABW as it turns into a bashing match. I thought everyone would want to know this.

It was posted on ABW several years ago by a Linkshare employee (assumed but not confirmed to be Heidi Messer who is no longer affiliated with Linkshare) that Linkshare has no requirement that offers through Linkshare affiliate links are the best deal offered by their merchants directly (I'm not referring to private offers or offers through other ad networks). In other words, Linkshare condones their merchants offering better deals directly than they do through a Linkshare affiliate link. This may also be true with other networks but I have personally only come across this with Linkshare merchants.

Hmm. I see the same.

I wonder if this is Overstock testing a new couponing strategy (eg one that excludes affiliates)?

ABW Ambassador
    You can always mention in your sales copy that there may be additonal offers on the merchant site. And that they should check it out.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    You can always mention in your sales copy that there may be additonal offers on the merchant site. And that they should check it out.
    Actually, that won't work because once your customer clicks on your Overstock affiliate link, they will not see non-affiliate offers.

ABW Ambassador
    I wouldn't count on any non-affiliate offers that you see on the front page. Overstock could well be giving different offers to different demographic groups.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the heads up.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread