Hi,

First, thanks Carsten a lot for introducing ABW to me. I really love this place. I am in process of setting up affiliate programs for www.meritline.com and www.abcink.com. Basically, meritline.com is the largest onine dvd/cd media supply product distributor in the world and also carry a lot other products like labels, flash memory, etc. And abcink.com is mainly selling compatible ink/toners like 123inkjets.

I am willing to providing datafeed to our affiliates and we have an in-house tech team who can do that quickly. My question is what type of datafeed affilates usually need? what should be included in datafeed for meritline affiliates and what should be included in datafeed for ink affilates?

Thanks in advance

I would suggest these fields - product name, product description, product image url (images with a consistent size are good), affiliate/buy link url either populated with affiliate id data or easy to update with this info, price, product category, brand name, unique id/sku.
    For the ink, I guess the printer brand/models/codes would be good - eg I know my printer needs a T040 and a T041.
    Others here have a lot more experience with datafeeds, but these are my thoughts based on the feeds I'm using right now.

Good start Spacewar,
    I also ask for UPC and Manufacturer's code.
    There are a few other posts along this line that if you do a search for will yeild some good info too.

Game on!!!!

Thanks for input. Product name, category, price, image, affiliate url, id, should not be a problem. But as for description, what kind of description you need? one sentence description or very long description? I am not sure if we can offer UPC and manufacturer's part number, cuz we carry a lot generic products.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Another field that's GREAT to have is "keywords". Note that this is NOT a description. The format is like: "keywords, seperate, words, Inktomi, spider, food" (You will notice a bit of a hint there, too...keywords are good for Inktomi but trying to put them in manually is a Forget It endeavor when dealing with a feed's worth of output!)

Also there needs to be some unique identifier for the product, other than the name, that's not going to change. I usually use the SKU number for this. I have seen some posts from people who like a numeric identifier but it makes no difference to me, as long as the same number always correlates to the same product and isn't switched around.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But as for description, what kind of description you need? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It depends on the product, but usually a couple of lines at least. One liners look awfully sparse on a page. Whatever you do, *please* don't just repeat the product name and leave it at that like some merchants do!!

~~~~~~~~~~
    Below are few things I must mention, because they have been repeat aggravations with certain feeds!

Please make sure there's nothing funky like quotes showing as "&quote;" or any similar frustrating stuff. I've seen a lot of different frustrating, pointless stuff in the CJ Feed (probably because it covers so many merchants, some of which don't know how to make a good feed) so I'll mention a few other things to avoid.

There's one place where if the first letter in the word is capitalized, and the letter repeats, the repeat instances will also be capitalized. Like this: "MeMoriuM"! Please make sure yours doesn't do that.

Another place has lots of extra exclamation points everywhere l!i!k!e!!t!h!i!s! ("like this"). I doubt you'd do that but just in case...DON'T! That place has many MBs of exclams total in the feed and it's so unusual I had to mention it.

DO use proper punctuation in the descriptions! It's amazing how many places forget what a period or a (properly placed) exclamation point is!

Inexplicable foreign characters are not appreciated. Please make sure none appear! An amazing amount of places have upside-down question marks and similar characters that randomly appear, usually in the middle of words or in place of apostrophes. I don't know why they appear, but they sure don't belong!

I'm not trying to be negative but I figure that since you haven't set it up yet I'd mention my entire wish list when it comes to feeds!

On another note, where are your programs going to appear? Network (which one)? Independent?

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

Hi,

Thanks tons for the long reply.

We are using in-house affiliate program hosted by myaffiliateprogram

*unique id, no problem. it can be our unique item code

*manufacturer's sku, I am gonna put it in datafeed if products are generic ones, we gonna use item code.

*description, we will try our best to avoid making annoying errors.

*keywords,

I dont get it here, what should we put in that column? a bunch of keywords related to that product and search engine name?

Could you send me an example of your ideal datafeed (2 or 3 lines should be enough) so our tech-team can know if we can do it or how long we need to make it?

my email address is william@comptree.net

Anyone's ideas or requests about datafeed are highly appreciated, please feel free to drop me a line and post here

Sales rank by units and dollars for making bestseller lists is nice. 2 or 3 different size image links are helpful (small med large). For the ink products supported model numbers field would be cool as mentioned earlier.

g

There are only 10 kinds of people that get binary, those that do and those that don't.

gwhite has a good idea. Also, please make sure that it is formatted for both windows and linux machines.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Art.com, Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com, TigerDirect and many more.....

Yes, if you could provide information about sales rank that would be huge. Granted this is very private information, but if you could simply have a '1' for your best selling product, '2' for the next best selling product, and so forth that would help so much.

As for description: I would suggest a short description (Somewhere between 150 and 250 characters) and a long description that might include product features and other things (that might be up to and over 2000 characters)

As for keywords... Take a look into "Meta Keywords" by doing a Google search to see how people would probably use these.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread