ABW Ambassador
    What's wrong with the "smilies"
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum.

This problem has been occured to my computer for quite a few times lately:

I click on the "more smilies" to bring up the smilies page. During the process, my ABW forum window will either stuck or try to open endless windows(the address bar will show" about: blank"). They just keep going and going... I can't stop it until I terminate the windows program, and all other windows I'm working on get shut down.

Is this some kind of serious virus on the "smilies" graphics? Or there is something wrong with my computer?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Sounds like it's on your computer. I've had no such problems, and if others are seeing this, there would be a flood of posts on it.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    It only happens when I try to open the "more smilies" link. Why is that? anybody knows

The endless opening windows scare me.

Note: I have "avast" ontime antivirus on all the time, and I do ad-aware Adware scan once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    It only happens when I try to open the "more smilies" link. Why is that? anybody knows

The endless opening windows scare me.

Note: I have "avast" ontime antivirus on all the time, and I do ad-aware Adware scan once in a while.
    I just hit [More ] and I get a long list of smilies
    The list is long but there's nothing wrong and I can close the window.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I'm not sure if this is the right forum.

This problem has been occured to my computer for quite a few times lately:

I click on the "more smilies" to bring up the smilies page. During the process, my ABW forum window will either stuck or try to open endless windows(the address bar will show" about: blank"). They just keep going and going... I can't stop it until I terminate the windows program, and all other windows I'm working on get shut down.

Is this some kind of serious virus on the "smilies" graphics? Or there is something wrong with my computer?
    No, there is nothing wrong with your computer!

I control your mouse, I control your screen, I control your windows, until you send 19.95 to "The Smilie Master" of this forum, you would not have access to my smilies box.

But since I like your nick name, I will give you a coupon code to save over ½ of the regular price.

Just stick a 5 dollar bill on the floppy slot, and then Click Here *

* What?

* What else do you want for just 5 bucks?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I just hit [More ] and I get a long list of smilies
    The list is long but there's nothing wrong and I can close the window.
    I can open the "smilies" window and close it.

The problem happens after I select the smilies and close the smilies window.

Seems like either when I click on the smilies icons or I try to close the smilies window, it trigers the "about: blank" endless windows opening?

Seems like either when I click on the smilies icons or I try to close the smilies window, it trigers the "about: blank" endless windows opening?
    Disclaimer: I'm not a techie expert but I did see a page that might be of help:
    http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml

Ask some of the others [who are more technically advanced] before doing/trying anything.

I'm sorry you have this problem
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    No, there is nothing wrong with your computer!

I control your mouse, I control your screen, I control your windows, until you send 19.95 to "The Smilie Master" of this forum, you would not have access to my smilies box.

But since I like your nick name, I will give you a coupon code to save over ½ of the regular price.

Just stick a 5 dollar bill on the floppy slot, and then Click Here *

* What?

* What else do you want for just 5 bucks?

Oh Mr. Sal, I don't know what all this come from. What those $s and prizes about? I guess you are mad, at me? my post? I'm sorry if anywhere in my questions assaulted you

I love the "smilies", I use them all the time. I don't know who made those lovely smilies but I love them.

I simply ask for somebody's help here. Now I feel really bad for posting this silly question. I wish I never did.

Anyway, Mr. Sal, you are one of my most favorate ABWers. I'm truly sorry if I assaulted you in anyway

I simply ask for somebody's help here. Now I feel really bad for posting this silly question. I wish I never did.

Anyway, Mr. Sal, you are one of my most favorate ABWers. I'm truly sorry if I assaulted you in anyway
    Don't feel silly, he was joking with you.
    (He jokes with me a lot too, that's why I love him)

What browser are you using?
    CNET had an interesting article about this on June 4, 2007:
    New vulnerabilities hit Firefox and Internet Explorer
    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-972...tml?tag=blog.1

What if you changed browsers, would that help?

Read this article and download the suggested programs:
    About:Blank - fix and remove the About Blank adware attack
    http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/ab...nk-adware.html
    There are many possible causes for this behaviour and most are evil. One possible cause is a virus, but this is not very common. The most likely culprit is an adware/browser hijack program - in particular, CoolWebSearch.

~snip~
    The simplest way to remove the About:Blank adware is to use a specially designed tool and clean up your system. Step one is to flush out all the temp files on your system: Cookies, Temporary Internet Files and Temp files (you can do this via Internet Explorer's Tools-Internet Options or for a more thorough clean, use a privacy tool such as Tracks Eraser Pro 5). Next up, get a copy of CWShredder. This should kill CoolWebSearch and allow you to change your home page from About:Blank, plus it will kill those pop up windows.
    source
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Oh Mr. Sal, I don't know what all this come from. What those $s and prizes about? I guess you are mad, at me? my post? I'm sorry if anywhere in my questions assaulted you

I love the "smilies", I use them all the time. I don't know who made those lovely smilies but I love them.

Ok mayfly,

I will not send the hit man if you're a female, but if you are a male, the price now is 99.95 for the entire smilies collection.

I stole all those smilies from Haiko, the owner of ABW, but since I stole them first, all those smilies belong to me now, just read my Title!

BTW, your mayfly nick name remind me of McFly on Back to the future, so I may have mercy on your assault after all, because I need a time machine to go back to the 70's.

So, unless you are a female under 40, or have a time machine I can borrow, I will send my lawyers after you.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Rhia for the links. Really need to figure out what's wrong. I'm afraid to open "the more smilies"(just tried once again, an the endless windows opened like nuts again)

Don't feel silly, he was joking with you.
    (He jokes with me a lot too, that's why I love him)
    Thanks for that too. Let me read the joke again .

What browser are you using?
    CNET had an interesting article about this on June 4, 2007:
    New vulnerabilities hit Firefox and Internet Explorer
    http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-972...tml?tag=blog.1

What if you changed browsers, would that help?
    I'm using IE. I don't know what browsers to change to or how . Any suggests?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I'm using IE. I don't know what browsers to change to or how . Any suggests?
    Try this: Download Firefox for Free
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Look at post #9 [the quote in the blue box] again: First Get rid of Cookies, Temporary Internet Files and Temp files.

Then you might need CWShredder (disclaimer: I haven't used it)
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Ok mayfly,

I will not send the hit man if you're a female, but if you are a male, the price now is 99.95 for the entire smilies collection.

just read my Title!
    Guess I have to pay more attention on the titles from now on...

BTW, your mayfly nick name remind me of McFly on Back to the future, so I may have mercy on your assault after all, because I need a time machine to go back to the 70's.

So, unless you are a female under 40, or have a time machine I can borrow, I will send my lawyers after you.
    Mercy!

Guess I have to pay more attention on the titles from now on...

Mercy!
    What?

You have just kissed me!

You better be female or never mind the hit man, I will personally go to CA, USA and give you an earthquake worse of a 10.5 on the Richter and Mercalli Earthquake Scales.

ABW Ambassador
    What?

You have just kissed me!

You better be female or never mind the hit man, I will personally go to CA, USA and give you an earthquake worse of a 10.5 on the Richter and Mercalli Earthquake Scales.

I'am (No, seriously, I've just moved. Need to update my profile now)

Either way,

In the past hour, I was busy in scanning, deleting stuff, downloading stuff on my computer. I wish all will be back to normal now so I can use Mr. Sal's lovely smilies again. Thanks for all your helps

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread