Hello and please help. :)
    Hi everyone,

My name is Tom Livia and I am president and Co-Founder of PC Universe, Inc. We are an established, but not so widely known, reseller of name brand technology products and services. We are an Internet Retailer top 500 retailer three years running and have been in business since 1995. We are authorized to sell hundreds of name brand products and currently carry over 250,000 technology related product skus on our site.

Ok, so enough about me selling how great we are. Let me tell you what we are not so great at. Believe it or not, we have never had an affiliate program or any seriously focused effort on building our website traffic through any means other than the standard CSEs and some strategic relationships with companies like Amazon.com.

So let me get to the point. I believe there is a tremendous opportunity for us and the affiliate community to build up some serious business together. I am so high on it that I am personally launching this effort. What I would really appreciate is feedback from you, the affiliate community, on what I can do to make this program a success. Some specific questions I have:

-What type of banners are most necessary for you - sizes, types, content, etc.
    -I've chosen ShareASale as our network provider and I notice they have something called a widget. Is this more commonly used then regular banners? ..or should we do both?
    -We just uploaded our product feed (should be live tomorrow and yes, we read your threads about what you want in a feed and we will continue to improve it with your help). Should we sign up for any external tools like GoldenCan?
    -ANY other ideas that you think will be helpful are much appreciated.

I want to give this program the best chance of success for everyone involved. I believe going straight to the experts is the best way to ensure that. Thanks for your time and your help!

Tom

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Tom

Welcome to ABW. Personally I think variety is the main goal you'll want to achieve. So the more options you can offer your partners the more they can do for you. So setting up all the core banner sizes and keeping the door open for custom requests is a good start.

Widgets are a great way to promote special offers, coupons and the like, easy for partners to deploy so certainly create them

Services like GoldenCan, PopShops and so forth are also great ways to get your products out on to partner sites, and a way to attract new partners.

Don't forget text links, and while your partners will likely customize a lot of them to fit their own sites and requirements, it's good to set up a range of recommended copy that you know works for your customers.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

I agree with Chris, GoldenCAN and Popshops are a good fit for you. At a minimum you should have 15-20 banners and text links setup to start and add more later based on affiliate feedback and requests.

Widgets are also a super fit for you too if you keep them updated. Make sure you update your datafeed as often as needed.

I'd love to see your company running on ShareASale and be active here, so if you have a bunch of other questions we can chat on the phone for an hour or so, for free, if that will help get you on your way.

Best of success with this!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Thanks for you replies! If you have a moment to check out the program on ShareASale I would love any additional feedback specific to the program as well....and please sign up too. ;-)

Thanks again!

Tom

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hi Tom,

Welcome to ABestWeb. If your attitude and effort so far are an indication of how you'll manage the program, then you should do very well.

I think Chris and Greg provided good advice. I'll follow up with some other thoughts:

-ShareASale is a good selection. It's a great network with great people and great features. And, as you can see, it's particularly popular here at ABW.
    -I wouldn't spend too much time on tools and widgets (though I'd suggest making widgets, and working with PopShops, GoldenCAN, etc.). Your main focus vis a vis links should be text links and the data feed. You mentioned that you have 250,000 SKUs available but SAS currently lists 7,011 in the product feed? 250K is a lot. I'd suggest breaking the feed down into multiple smaller feeds, including category and brand feeds.
    -That said, you should add some more banners. Right now there seem to be only a handful in SAS. You'll want to make sure you have at least the following sizes. You'll probably also want to add multiple sizes for selected categories/products. It's important to remember that providing banners to affiliates is not the same as doing an ad buy. You can't dictate which affiliates post what banners when. In all likelihood the smaller sizes will do best as they are basically used as logos next to listings.
    *88x31
    *120*60
    *120*90
    *120*240
    *125 x 125
    *120 x 600
    *180*150
    *234*60
    *468 x 60
    *250 x 250
    *300 x 250
    *728 x 90
    -A lot of people refer to affiliates as "salesmen". This is a reasonable metaphor but we generally consider affiliates a distribution network. Simply put: affiliates control some portion of the online traffic. If you don't have an affiliate program, you can't tap into this traffic from directories, coupon sites, loyalty sites, content sites, search arbitrage affiliates, etc. I'd suggest carefully defining what traffic aggregation strategies are allowed and which are not allowed. You have (unformatted) terms in your SAS account but I'd add the basic stuff (trademark bidding, use of display URL) to your program description.

There is a lot more to say but I'll give others a chance to weigh in. Best of luck with your program. I think I speak on behalf of everyone on the management and affiliate side when I say it's a real pleasure to see the senior executive take a personal interest in the program.
    Brook Schaaf
    Schaaf-PartnerCentric
    p/f: 512.464.1122
    Skype - brookschaaf
    www.schaafpc.com | brook@schaafpc.com

brookschaaf,

Thanks for the reply and the encouragement. Regarding the feed, we will be uploading a new one, hopefully today that should have a bit more products in it, but I am only including instock products, so the file is a lot smaller than all the products we carry. Do you think we should do a file for all our products in stock or not?

Regarding banners, more are on the way and I've enlisted the help of Shareasale to help launch the program, so you'll be seeing a lot more activity in the coming days.

Thanks again,

Tom

Hi, I saw the ad on SAS landing page and saw that you offer GoldenCan, (great sign up incentive) but I think a more accurate commission description would be "Up To 7-12% Commission" rather than the "7-12%" showing now, as your fine print (too long and legalese-confusing IMHO) shows 3.5% until over $5000 monthly sales. It's a loophole too many affiliates will miss until they make sales and find out.

2Busy,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree and I'll send Brian at Shareasale a message to see if we can get that fixed. The 7% - 12% is referring to commissions you can earn on selling PCU Tech Services. These are services, like installing a complete wireless network in your small business that you can buy and schedule all through our website. This is something pretty unique as far as Technology e-tailers go, but I can see where it might be confusing.

Tom

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Tom, looks like you off to a great start with this thread. Some of the greatest OPM's are offering you advice which gives your program a lot of good attention. Keep up the questions and most importantly implement them. Good luck!

Thanks Chuck!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread