View Poll Results: What would you rather want [commission amounts are made up]?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • A program that pays 25% on all referred sales

21 91.30%
  • One that pays close to 33% but on new customers only

1 4.35%
  • I have a better idea! [elaborate in a post]

1 4.35%

Thread: New Customers at +30% Commission or ... ?

Question New Customers at +30% Commission or ... ?
    Dear ABW-ers,

I have a client who is considering increasing their default commission by over 30%, but at the same time limiting valid (read: commissionable) sales to sales that come from new customers only. Meaning, if a sale comes from a customer already registered in their database, they will void it (unless there is a clear proof that the affiliate added value to the new sale... which, for example, may be demonstrated by showing a referral URL from a content site that adds value, or a PPC campaign that bids on a competitive term).

How do you feel about such a shift?

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.

Geno

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    We are looking for repeat customers (hopefully) not building someone else's customer base. To us the 8 points is not enough of a difference.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

I wonder how long before the merchant is tempted to start skimming a bit by voiding valid sales, or if they are honest, how long before they are suspected/accused of doing so anyway?

The clear proof qualifier opens up a can of worms as well. There are a lot of crappy sites out there where the webmaster believes that value is being added, and a lot of marginal sites where it could be argued either way.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    We are looking for repeat customers (hopefully) not building someone else's customer base. To us the 8 points is not enough of a difference.
    Good point, H., and looking forward to more feedback and votes.

Geno

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    No way. Commissions should be paid (even at the lower rate) on all legitimate sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    ...unless there is a clear proof that the affiliate added value to the new sale... which, for example, may be demonstrated by showing a referral URL from a content site that adds value, or a PPC campaign that bids on a competitive term...
    This would be difficult, burdensome, and too time-consuming to have to prove each time. Plus, affiliates may have to disclose proprietary secrets regarding their sites and methods.

Also, this type of system would let unscrupulous merchants (not those you're promoting) pad the books and say most sales are from returning customers - just enough commissions paid to keep the affiliate active.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

All fine points, and I appreciate your feedback. Looking forward to more.

Thanks a million, everyone.

Geno

Those programs that only pay for new customers typically pay FAR MORE for those new customers (i.e. think LIFETIME VALUE). For instance, eBay pays $25+ for new customers (on top of a generous revenue share).

I would strongly encourage a NEW CUSTOMER BOUNTY on top of affiliate commissions, if new customers are important to the merchant.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Commissions should be paid on all sales during the cookie period.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Geno, is your client willing to pay 30% on new customers who order by telephone or just online? Is tracking in place to handle that?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    what everyone else already said. :-)

I voted for 25% across all sales - without question - anything else is asking for trouble and abuse of trust.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Pay 25% on all referred sales with an additional bonus for the referral of new customers
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I responded to the poll and second Rhia7's suggestion of an additional bonus (acquisition fee?) for "new" customers.

So, that's just my 2-cents, er...ah... make that 25-cents (on the dollar).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Commissions will be paid for new customers only.
    Excerpt from the TOS of an ink merchant that is familiar here. I didn't like it then and still don't. I'll take the lower commission and hope for the repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Geno, is your client willing to pay 30% on new customers who order by telephone or just online? Is tracking in place to handle that?
    All regular tracking is in place (both phone and online), but not the tracking that can automatically distintinguish the new customers from the repeat ones. They would want to do it by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    Excerpt from the TOS of an ink merchant that is familiar here. I didn't like it then and still don't. I'll take the lower commission and hope for the repeats.
    I know exactly what merchant you're talking about; and just for the sake of clarity -- I am not talking involvement with that company.

..unless there is a clear proof that the affiliate added value to the new sale...
    What does that mean exactly. Can someone give an example of an affiliate that does'nt add value to a sale? Besides spyware, toolbars etc.?

If I add an aff. link to a page that already gets tons of traffic, do I add value? Lets say I am the most innovative affiliate ever, find all kinds of unique uses for a product...and then lots of other affs. copy me, do I still add value?

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    What does that mean exactly. Can someone give an example of an affiliate that doesn't add value to a sale? Besides spyware, toolbars etc.?

If I add an aff. link to a page that already gets tons of traffic, do I add value? Lets say I am the most innovative affiliate ever, find all kinds of unique uses for a product...and then lots of other affs. copy me, do I still add value?
    That's where I personally see the main challenge of such a system. One way or another the question of subjectivity will get raised by affiliates -- those partners of yours that are key to the whole relationship -- and this, in its turn, will translate each affiliate sale voided into one more affiliate loosing trust in the merchant.

The additional bounty (paid on top of the regular commission) for each new customer sent in sounds like a healthy alternative that should make both parties of the relationship happy (both the affiliate, and the merchant).

Geno

I think the results of this poll make it clear. Paying on just new customers (especially if it's only marginally more than what you would pay for all customers) is perceived negatively by affiliates. A new customer bounty (in addition to commission), on the other hand, is perceived positively and helps to better align goals.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I've got a "better" idea ... cut the commissions and set up lifetime accounts, then the affs who actually bring the good customers will be rewarded.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I've got a "better" idea ... cut the commissions and set up lifetime accounts, then the affs who actually bring the good customers will be rewarded.
    That's an interesting option, H. Does anyone you know actually do this? It'd be a competitor-killing type of affiliate marketing.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    ...It'd be a competitor-killing type of affiliate marketing...
    Yes it would. At least that's the feeling I get with my travel sites. I count on a lot of repeat customers. I know I have some that reserve their room(s) through my site every year for a beach vacation, and a couple for every business trip.

I have no idea how tracking could be implemented through the network(s), but it would give some merchants a competitive edge in attracting affiliates.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I agree with the consensus that a slightly higher commission for a new customer with zero commission for repeat customers wouldn't get my attention. So I voted for "A program that pays 25% on all referred sales". However something has been bugging me about this scenario all day.

First, why would a merchant presume that any customer we send to them has more or less value? The value we add is getting a pre-qualified prospect to their cart. If we do that, our job is done. Pay us.

Second, it appears that the merchant is confused about what value is. If a previous customer of theirs deems it necessary to visit my site before making a new purchase from them, it would appear that I added more value to the transaction than they did. If the customer was totally enthralled with them, why did they end up on my site AGAIN?

Third, how could I possibly trust a merchant that would make arbitrary decisions regarding my commissions? How would they possibly quantify value? Apply a point system? Would this be something I could measure to keep them honest?

I hope this poll convinces your client that what they are thinking of would not be a good strategy. If what they are really trying to do is to gain more new customers than a "New Customer Bonus" would be the best tactic as mentioned by others. If they are just looking for a way to pay less in commissions than they need to rethink the structure of their affiliate program.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

23. Newsletter Signup