Under your butt...
    I was wondering what "butt-support" solution everyone here uses during the day. I have had a couple of back problems in the past and am searching for a solution to my current office chairs. I have a fabric one from Costco and a leather one from Office Depot, but have yet to find the relief that I need. Zero gravity would be nice...ha-ha.

So my question is:

Do you find the more expensive chairs to be worth the money?

and for a follow-up:

Is there anyone out there who wants to get rid of their premium chair because they want to upgrade?

-sfcom

ABW Ambassador
    I have a really nice Herman Miller Aeron chair - so comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Without a doubt. If you look a how much time you spend in it doing our line of work...

I replace than fairly often, mainly because the office I spend the most time in is on the patio.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Interesting.

I've had back problems for over 40 years, and for the last 20+ years that I spent a good share of my work hours in an office, usually behind a desk, I had what as I remember was called a "posture" chair. If cost a bundle back in the late-70s and I had it recovered a couple of times over the years. When I closed my office in Oct., 2000, I didn't keep it because it was too big to fit my den and my computer desk at home, where I've worked for the past 7 years.

I did keep a $50.00 secretariel chair that I bought at Office Depot in the mid-90s that had been worn hard by secretaries for a few years before I brought it home, and which I've now sat in plus-or-minus 12 hrs./day for the past 7 years, and I've found it every bit as comfortable and back-friendly as my old "posture" chair.

The seat is torn and an arm fell off, but I hesitate to replace it because I don't know if I a replacement would ever be as comfortable.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It was well worth it for me to buy a BIG office chair and stop using the standard-issue one I started with. It's not promoted as "ergonomic," but the simple fact that it fits has made all the difference.

Not only is this chair nice 'n wide, it's deeper than the regular ones. The old chair's seat was too shallow and cut into my thighs about midway--misery! This one's seat goes almost to my knees and doesn't gouge into my legs.
    Also, when I bought this chair, the foam inside was THICK and took all the pressure off my tailbone. The other one always left me with a very painful tailbone.

This chair now needs a new piece of foam, and the wimpy plastic leg assembly warped one summer (and then stayed that way forever), but overall it's been well worth the investment.

As for expense...compared to what you'd find in an Office Max, yes. Also the last time I checked the merchant's site, he was charging a couple hundred more than I remember paying.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I've had back and arm problems, and a decent-quality, widely-adjustable chair was certainly an important piece of the solution. But for me, there were other "ergonomic" issues to solve.

One was my desk: for me (at 5'8"), the standard height of a desktop is too high, while a keyboard tray is too low. If I adjust the chair to the "right" height for either surface, my legs and feet aren't in an ideal position. So I went out and bought a nice, solid work table at Ikea which allowed me to adjust the table to exactly the right height for me.

I also switched from mice to trackballs about 20 years ago, after I started to experience shoulder pain. (Moving the mouse requires moving the elbow & upper arm muscles; moving the ball on a trackball shifts that to the hand and lower-arm muscles.) I've switched several times, and now I alternate between my main Logitech trackball where my thumb does the clicking and my fingers move the ball, and my wife's Logitech TrackMan Wheel which inverts those positions, so the ball is moved with the thumb and the buttons with the fingers.

Another "issue" was my shoes: several years ago, when I noticed that my back hurt more whenever I walked more, I went to a podiatrist and was prescribed a set of "orthotics" (inserts). They probably provided the most benefit to my back.

http and a telephoto
    When I was having my back problems this summer someone noticed the chair I have been using for the past 2 years and I got majorly yelled at. And then they told me to "go to office max and sit in chairs until you find the one that feels right". And that is what I did, it's one of the best things I have done.

As for the arm thing and mice vs trackball, I've tried trackballs and they don't work great for me, I have a gyration wireless mouse and actually have it on the desk in front of the monitor, above the keyboard tray and that seems to work very well, much less stress on my arm and shoulders.

And the chair that fit me was not the most expensive one It is leather and it does have massage though
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I have had lower back pain due to a fused disc that I will someday get treated. For me it all about posture and exercise. When I realize I am using bad posture I tuck my feet back on the legs of the chair. I also am working out regularly and include stomach crunches. Your back problems are directly related to your stomach muscles. If your stomach is sticking out your back is bowed and it puts pressure on your Sciatic nerve. I used to have my legs go numb while driving long distances and could alieve it by tightening my stomach muscles. Posture, exercise and rest work for me.

I sit on an old office chair with a stiff backrest and boy do I ever love it. I find that being forced to sit upright has done wonders for my posture and my back pain!

There seems to be a good mix of both old-time office chairs and the premium crop of today's offerings. Thanks for your input everyone. I think I should just go to a B&M office store and do some sitting...

-sfcom

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread