ABW Ambassador
    Macy's Do Not Promote List
    Wow, I don't know how I missed this. I just received an email from Macy's for their "best gifts for the holidays" promos. Within it they remind us of their "do not promote list" It includes Coach, CHANEL, Estee Lauder, MAC Cosmetics, Origins, Prescriptives, Clinique, Lancome, Tag Heuer, Mattresses

Are these noncommissionable? I know that their furniture is noncommissionable.

I checked their Legal Terms of Agreement and on their "Make Links Page" and nowhere do they mention this. (At least I didn't see it).

No wonder they don't want us making our own individual product links.

ABW Ambassador
    Unfortunately, there are more and more "free branding" motivated maneuvers going on all the time, trying to cut affiliate commissions out as much as possible to get free traffic and exposure.

ABW Ambassador
    I know a few of those have their own affiliate programs - Origins, Lancome, Prescriptives. So I don't know why they have it that way.

ABW Ambassador
    While I don't promote them, I am a member of the Macy's affiliate program. I did not receive that email. Their Create Links page in Linkshare says:
    Drive Sales with Individual Products Links

You know your customers better than anyone, so why not promote the specific products they want to buy? Now you can with macys.com individual product links (IPLs).

Our IPLs give you the freedom to promote the macys.com products that will best appeal to your site's target audience. They include an image link, text link, and a short description of the featured product. Our email newsletters include a selection of IPLs for you to choose from, but if you don't find what you're looking for, you can create your own IPLs by linking to any product on macys.com!
    Where did you read that you can't make individual product links?

ABW Ambassador
    Snowman, now you have to use the IPLs that they have already created. You can no longer make your own. Sorry for my confused statement.

From what I've heard from other merchants is that the 'do not promote' lists are because of the agreements between the stores and those manufactures. They state things like they need to review all advertising using their brand names, or not allowed to publish prices, etc..
    So you wll probably get paid fine, but they just don't want to upset those manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    Wow, I don't know how I missed this. I just received an email from Macy's for their "best gifts for the holidays" promos. Within it they remind us of their "do not promote list" It includes Coach, CHANEL, Estee Lauder, MAC Cosmetics, Origins, Prescriptives, Clinique, Lancome, Tag Heuer, Mattresses
    I just got an email today from Macy's notifying me about promoting their one-day sale. I noticed at the bottom of the email it had the following statement:

"Although we do offer commissions on the following brands when purchased through Macys.com, due to contractual agreements, we are not permitted to promote them on affiliate sites: Coach, CHANEL, Estee Lauder, MAC Cosmetics, Origins, Prescriptives, Clinique, Lancome, and Tag Heuer. "

It would have been nice if they had sent out a separate email outlining this policy - as I was unable to find any mention of it in their affiliate terms.

That could be the reason they stopped allowing us to make our own links.

Macys just announced they are closing 6 to 9 stores.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Macys just announced they are closing 6 to 9 stores.
    I haven't seen an article on this, but I believe what they are doing, is something long planned. When they bought out Robinson-May a year or so ago, that gave them 2 stores in many malls. They slowly converted the Robinson-May stores to Macy's, and have actually had 2 Macy's stores in some malls, such as the West Covina Fashion Plaza 3 blocks from here. I was told a few months ago they would keep the old R-M store and close the original Macy's, but that just became official a couple of weeks ago. This is happening in several locations.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Thanks, nyfalcon - totally different issue. Add the stores closing for the reason I mentioned, and a lot more than 9 stores are closing.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I had no idea -- thanks for posting the article nyfalcon

How to become a Macy's affiliate
    I applied through linkshare and was immediately rejected.

How do I get info on why? Anybody else run in to the same problem? How did the rest of you get approved?

thanks
    Brent

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread