Hi guys...

Whew. So much heavy stuff to think about in the world today. So I figured I'd lighten it up, and ask all of you, as I've had this conversation with many car-types...do you name your car?

I find that when I name my cars, they seem to last longer. Now that I work in the automotive industry, I hear people talking about car-naming more and more. I find that people either love naming their cars, or think that those of us who do are completely insane.

I didn't name my first or second cars...both of which got totalled. My third car, an '86 Buick, was called "The Shark" due to its coloring. I then graduated to "Sammy", a '91 Honda Civic, then to "Ird", a horrible '91 Firebird whose Firebird logo had broken so that only Ird was visible...then to "Hedwig", my '86 Jetta that I still own (with only 64k miles!) and, most recently, Ol' Pete, my new '03 PT Cruiser.

Am I the only crazy one out there who names cars?

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com
    e: patrice@eastwoodco.com
    v: 610.323.2200x2206
    f: 610.323.6268
    ::visit our private forum on abw::

My grandparents had "The Big Green Machine" when I was a kid, and when my uncle was married to his second wife and they had seven kids between them, they had a van called "The Moose".

One of my best friends grew up in a car dealership garage, and currently owns a car named "Reepicheep" and a work truck named "Clifford", and previously owned "The Cricket", "The Preditor", and... I'm sure I'm missing one. She's dubbed her fiance's car "Flomengyer", which is a long story/in joke that I won't boor you with. Another friend of mine had a car named "Han" or "Hans", I can't remember which.

I've had two cars- my first, and the one I have now. I tried to name both of them, but in both cases the name refused to "stick", I'm not sure why. I tried to name the first car "Vesper" and the current car "Pigwidgeon" (don't ask why), but somehow in neither case would the name "take".

SirenSong
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

ABW Ambassador
    I used to have an '89 Toyota Corolla, which was named Lucy. Some idiot rear-ended me, so Lucy is no more.

I don't have a name for my present car (since I really don't like it too much), but we have a Subaru Outback that my wife nicknamed "Roo". Not sure we call it that anymore, though.

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patrice - Am I the only crazy one out there who names cars?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I've never named a car, but our group of friends found names for each others cars from time to time. Most of us had shiny new Japanese motorcycles but one guy had an old Triumph, so we named it the "Archaic Monster."

Then when some of us moved up to Kawi 903 Z-1's he dumped the Triumph for a Kawi 650, so it got named the "Baby Z" :-)

Another friend bought a '50 Plymouth and named it "Bessie" but we just called it the "Antique."

I name my computers. My first was Lucy and now I have Big Frank.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

We've got a Rover 25 called "Odo" - because that's what it says on the bit with the mileage on (i.e. the odometer).

After some consideration, we decided that it was probably female, especially when compared to its sibling, the MG ZR which is definitely a boy car

________
    All your commission are belong to us.

Name my car?

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com
    6% PER SALE ~ RECURRING COMMISSIONS FOR 1 YEAR ~ ABW MEMBERS CONVERT AT LESS THAN 1/30 ~ DEDICATED AM WHO'LL DO ALMOST ANYTHING ~ TONS OF CASH WAITING TO BE TAKEN! ~ PARASITE FREE ~ PRIVATE FORUM AT ABW
    Join our program through CJ now!

'Moo

sounds like your Rover is a shape-shifter...

I don't drive, (which is probably good news to everyone else on the roads...)

So I compensate with my new and favourite (so far) website....

blatant self-advertisement...

Ha! So some of you do name your cars. Or computers - I love the name Big Frank.

And Akiva, if it makes you feel better - have you ever named your *subway* car/bus/taxi?

Growing up, we had a Datsun 510 wagon in this putrid shade of green that my friends unaffectionately called "The Slimemobile". It was great when Slimy picked me up in front of all the kids outside of school...or dropped me off at a dance. Memories.

-patrice

affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patrice - eastwoodcompany.com:

Growing up, we had a Datsun 510 wagon in this putrid shade of green that my friends unaffectionately called "The Slimemobile". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Datsun! We had a Datsun when I was a kid. They discontinued them and stopped making parts so it got hard to get it fixed- I remember my Mom always telling my sister and I "Leave it unlocked- maybe someone will steal it", but no one ever did. Once went six months with an out-of-date inspection sticker because the plastic cover over the tail-light was broken, and they said that they couldn't pass us with just colored tape over it, but they didn't MAKE the plastic cover anymore, and neither the dealership nor the junk-yards could get the darn plastic tail-light cover so we could pass inspection... one garage finally gave us the sticker, and just said "if anyone asks, you broke the tail-light AFTER we passed you..."

Ah, memories.

Ramble mode off. really. I'll stop now.

SirenSong
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    The local law enforcement used to have a truck they referred to as the Green Weenie. Did a double-take one time when the newspaper title read, "Sheriff Dept. to auction off Green Weenie."

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

I don't own a car, but I've been known to call my computer all sorts of interesting names...

(Usually when it slavishly follows the input from the carbon-based keyboard-extension instead of anticipating his idiocy and doing what was expected in the first place...)

I used to have The Pig (a 1975 Buick Riveria), but these days I drive A Lemon - a yellow "New" Beetle. Why is it The Lemon? Click here to find out why. We also have a Suburban, affectionately nicknamed the Suburban Assault Vehicle.

The only car I ever named was the second car I bought when I was 17. It was a 1976 buick lesabre (white) with an 8 cylinder but it only ran on 7 of them. The paint job was in pretty bad shape so my friends and I had the idea to paint it. We painted it with latex indoor wall paint(white). Then we decided to name it the (bad ass buick) So we named it with fluorescent orange paint across the back of the trunk. Stayed that way for a whole year. Then I upgraded to a newer car a have never named a car again

Don't hate yourself in the morning -- sleep till noon

I named my computers Chevy, Ford and Dodge..

Yeah, my big brownie is the "uglivan" and my daughter calls my big white conversion van "the Nomad"..

Have yet to name my truck tho.

--
    "No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see the possibilities – always see them, for they're always there." – Norman Vincent Peale
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club
    http://www.ford-fox.org

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Freetweak:
    So we named it with fluorescent orange paint across the back of the trunk. Stayed that way for a whole year.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> ROFL One hot summer a friend took a sawzall to his old clunker (may have been a Fury, but I forget) and sawed off the roof, drove it around for a few weeks until it rained then he junked it.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, I never had a "permanent" name for any of my cars , but I have named them many different things in the past , depending on the occassion...

My husband is a mechanic , and for at least the past 5 years or so, I have been driving customer rejects from his shop that he has eithor bought cheap because the customer couldn't afford the repairs on, fixed and sold the car that the customer couldn't afford the repairs on, and bought another slightly better car that another customer couldn't afford the repairs on, etc., etc., etc.

Geez... If everyone out there would just PAY THE SHOP OWNER what he estimates for repairs, there wouldn't be any "extra" cars lying around automotive shops for them to bring home to their poor wives who are totally innoccent , yet get stuck with them .

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Do you name your car? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Only when I'm pissed~!

Brian
    aka Cyclone

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room~!

Pauline had a Volkeswagon Polo that she called "her little Fritz"
    Personaly I always thought myself too intelligent to name my cars but I guess thats open to debate

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

PSanf named his first little laptop Wolf. Now he has Yodi.

My daughter, the engineer, calls her truck Thor.

Years ago when the kids, *all seven, were home, I bought a $50 junker, that we all painted with paint brushes and orange rustoleum. The kids called it The Great Pumpkin!

* His, mine, ours and other peoples.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Merky may not be the most exciting name for a car, but it's the name. (Yes, that's short for Mercury). That's the new one.

My first car was Buicka. Pronounced Byu-EEK-uh! A Buick LeSabre. Between then and now was The Guz, an awful old ugly Ford Gran Torino. There might as well have been a pipeline to it straight from Saudi Arabia because that's how much gas *and oil* went into it! A couple of unnamed ones round out the pack.

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

Let it be known from the start that I love cars. My wife and I have named every car we ever owned.

When we first met in high school I had a little Fiat X1/9. It was broken so often that I spent half my time and 3/4 of my cash on it, with the remainder on my girlfriend (now wife). Since I spent more time and money on the car, it was like a mistress, and being Italian, it was named "Mio Amanti"

Following Mio Amanti came:
    '76 Chevy Vega: My Mediocre Baby (mine - High School)
    '65 Ford Falcon: Fal-piece Falcon (mine - High School)
    '76 Volvo 264: The Blue Ton (mine - college)
    '86 Isuzu Impulse: Izzy (Mine post-college)
    '86 Berretta: Barry (Wife's post college)
    '68 Mercedes SEL: Martin (project car)
    '86 Isuzu Trooper: Troy (Mine)
    '79 Dodge mini-Ram truck: Rat (chopped top project)
    '89 Mustang 5.0 Conv: Murphy (both)
    '93 Pontiac Bonneville: Benji (Wife's)
    '93 Taurus SHO: Sammy (mine)
    '89 Plymouth Voyager: Vinnie (both)
    '83 Chevy full-size van: Charlie (both)
    '86 Chevy 4X4: Bubba (monster truck project)
    '02 BMW 330 conv: Bernie (both)

Most were named using the first letter of the make or model, except Bubba, who was definately a Bubba no matter what his lineage might have been.

L4

Personal motto - In every situation, leave someone or something better than you found it.

Wow, Look4, that's alot of cars!

Yours is the 4th car I've heard of named "Sammy", including my own Honda.

My then-boyfriend (now-husband) owned a Honda Civic at the same time I did, and his was named "Big Chief". My Sammy would write notes to the Chief and leave them on his windshield when I would park next to him at work. (All together..."awwww") He bought a new Honda Civic in 2000 and he named it "Del", as we purchased it in Delaware. I was happy that I found someone who also named cars, because like I said, some people think we're nuts.

-patrice

affiliate.marketer
    eastwoodcompany.com

I'm not allowed to post the names I call my old, piece of junk car. LOL

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

My curretn car is named The Tub. The Tub replaced Doc who replaced Ice Cube who Replaced Snowball who replace Grey Cloud
    ans so on and so on and shoo bee do be do be.

I could type much better if I had knuckles

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread