link code
    Hello,

I am seeking information regarding affiliate links such as those offered by CJ and Linkshare. It is my understanding that if shoppers have various security settings/software/firewalls, they may not be able to view banner links as the banner images are served by CJ (a third party) and therefore do not load on the page.

I had hoped that text links would solve this problem but CJ's text links include a 1 x 1 pixel, which must be served from CJ in order for the text link to function and for the resulting transaction to be tracked. I have found that there does not seem to be a way around this issue. I would be interested in any suggestions you may have.

Thanks...

The 1x1 pixel is for impression tracking (when the link/ad is displayed on your page). Many affiliates discard this tracking pixel for various reasons (PPC, redirect software, etc) where it can't be applied and most merchants/program managers understand the need for an affiliate to remove it. However some may not get it and question why you're sending a lot of clicks but showing no impressions.

The actual click is tracked through the a href link.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

from my experience, chances are that if they don't see the image, then the url won't work either.

Are you suggesting we can omit the 1x1 pixel from the code and the test link will still track the transaction? It was my understanding we could not change the code format.

If we leave the 1x1 pixel in the code and a shopper has security software in place blocking the 1x1 pixel, will the transaction track but not the immpression?

Thanks again

I always discard the 1x1 and have not seen any issues. And as I said, many discard it for pay-per-click use; there simply is no place to put that 1x1 in PPC campaigns. It would be pointless to run PPC if it wouldn't track. That's just one reason to not use it.

It simply tracks ad impressions. The click is tracked by the a href link, hence the "click" reference in the URL itself; [random_cj_url].com/click-0000000-0000000

If it doesn't track, I would lean on the merchant, not the 1x1.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by newestuser
    from my experience, chances are that if they don't see the image, then the url won't work either.
    The url tracks just fine without the pixel. The datafeeds do not have impression tracking pixels in the links and they work.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    The url tracks just fine without the pixel. The datafeeds do not have impression tracking pixels in the links and they work.
    I meant if the image is blocked by norton or something, then norton probably blocks the URL from the user too.

Thank you all for your help - I am sure I will have more moving forward!!

Quote Originally Posted by newestuser
    I meant if the image is blocked by norton or something, then norton probably blocks the URL from the user too.
    When you write "blocks the URL", do you mean the link will still not track?

If that is the case, is there any advantage to using text links vs. banner links?

I had hoped adding text links to my site would help when users are unable to view banner links as a result of norton or other security software.

Thanks...
    Last edited by 1newuser; November 27th, 2007 at 04:58 PM.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread