Annoying Online Ads According to PC WORLD
    The truth is out ...people are annoyed by many types of online ads:
    ... ads [that] flash, blink, vibrate, and somersault around your browser window... Others expand, pop open a window (even if you have a pop-up blocker), and play sounds or video. The most sinister don't appear to do anything at all and quietly attempt to hijack your PC. [PC WORLD.com]
    Did you ever wonder if your site should be accompanied by a talking character? Here's a tidbit to help you decide:
    ... an online ad for Toyota in which a pint-size pitchman waltzed out from the lower-left corner of my screen. The combination video-audio-floating-takeover ad simply started yakking, with no warning, and the ad didn't disappear until he was done. Talk about an annoying car salesperson. PC WORLD.com
    Other annoyances include: "Mouse-Over Land Mine Ads," ads that start on the side and then spread over most of the page, the Google and Double Click threat (intrusive behavioral-advertising), malware and bait & switch.
    The Top 10 Most Annoying, Frustrating, Irritating, and Sinister Online Ads is an entertaining article that has a lesson or two within.

More negative attention is being directed at behavioral advertising:
    a group of nine privacy organizations asked the FTC to institute a “Do Not Track List” — similar to the telemarketing industry's “Do Not Call List” — to allow consumers to opt out of having their online activities tracked, stored or used by marketers or advertising networks. “Online opt-outs should be as well-known and as easy as the Do Not Call List,” said Mark Cooper, director of research for the Consumer Federation of America. [TelephonyOnline.com]
    We as affiliates should strive to place online ads in such a way that the ads are appealing and as unobtrusive as possible.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Just published, eh? I have had the following on my two of my most popular sites for years:
    -----
    Advertising Services and Rates:

BANNER ADVERTISING: Sorry, ----- -------- dot com does not accept "banner" advertising. Far too many Websites have become "banner farms" - which is almost as bad as SPAM; with some readers actually refusing to do business with banner advertisers. Therefore, we choose not to sell banners.

We do not sell "traditional" advertising. Our contextual ads are provided by Google® and/or Yahoo®.

Special Advertising, in our "real estate" or "restaurants" section for example, can be negotiated on an individual basis.
    -----

And it seems to work. These sites sell a lot of hotel reservations, get a lot of AdSense clicks, sell a few other items and have a couple of $$$$ local advertisers.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

whats sad is pcworld has a pop up on their site. I sent them an email and they didnt seemed to thrilled to hear from me.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    whats sad is pcworld has a pop up on their site. I sent them an email and they didnt seemed to thrilled to hear from me.
    That is sad, but on the other hand, I am always thrilled to hear from you
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I doubt the author of this article even realized that PCWorld utilizes many of those ad types, including the rather annoying "Yahoo" ad that was blinking out of the corner of my eye while I read it.

Overall, very true and very informative. Unfortunately, those blinking ads work all too well.

Quote Originally Posted by AdJumpCM
    Overall, very true and very informative. Unfortunately, those blinking ads work all too well.
    What if some type of conglomerate group came together to oppose blinking ads?
    Or what if the general population became "blind" to blinking ads?

Perhaps PC World is saying "Do as I say, not as I do?" [I had some summer camp counselors who used to say that in our cabin ]
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Probably had nothing better to write, so hired a highschools student who had no idea about what types of ads their werbsite displayed...LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by bibby
    Probably had nothing better to write...
    The article itself is interesting; the criticism comes from the fact that PC World doesn't always practice what it preaches
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, the Toyota thing does annoy me. Been to a few toyota dealership sites and they all have it.

Worst thing is, it fires every time you load the page

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Computer magazines are so good at stating the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    What if some type of conglomerate group came together to oppose blinking ads?
    Or what if the general population became "blind" to blinking ads?

Perhaps PC World is saying "Do as I say, not as I do?" [I had some summer camp counselors who used to say that in our cabin ]
    It's true. The thing is that there will always be someone who will run those ads because at the end of the day they get clicks and they get conversions. Even if there was a massive international "anti-blinking banner conglomerate" you can bet there'd be the read-headed stepchild that would launch a billion blinking ads to capitalize on the market.

RE: Blinking Ads - have an epileptic person sue one of these advertisers for causing a seizure - I'm sure there are enough hungry lawyers out there that would love to run a small class action against Yahoo...

Charles

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread