Consensus of "Click here for coupon code" sites
    I am wondering what is the general consensus of coupon sites that make the user click a link for a coupon code, the coupon code pops up in a new window, and the user is automatically redirected to the merchant site.

I've seen a couple coupon sites use this approach. It is generally considered acceptable or non acceptable?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    LOL - the search function at abw is your friend.... if you use it

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by scutar
    I am wondering what is the general consensus of coupon sites that make the user click a link for a coupon code, the coupon code pops up in a new window, and the user is automatically redirected to the merchant site.

I've seen a couple coupon sites use this approach. It is generally considered acceptable or non acceptable?
    As long as the redirection is initiated by a click, then I think it's alright, as would most affiliates, I think. Also, some people display the coupon codes on the page and others force you to click to get the code (and set the cookie). There are pros and cons to each, and you have to decide which works better for you.

Michael

ABW Ambassador
    "Also, some people display the coupon codes on the page and others force you to click to get the code (and set the cookie)."

And with this approach, you can be deceptive and don't even need any actual coupon codes, it seems merchants and networks don't really have a problem with it based on their inaction. So make your site anyway you want, doesn't matter what some people on message boards think. As long as the merchant and network you work with are ok with it. They're the only one who could boot you out of their program or network and the only ones you get into agreements with.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    LOL - the search function at abw is your friend.... if you use it
    Sooooo True!!! LOL. USE the search function, take a minute to read so you can see the substantial number of previous posts on this topic, and you'll have your answer.....
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I would recommend not doing that, for a variety of reasons. It's less user-friendly to your shoppers, so any coupon site that does that will lose some return customers. It's frowned upon by some networks (although not very well policed). It's not allowed by some merchants.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    As long as you have a valid coupon code and the offer from that code is clearly described prior to the user having to click and most of your coupon codes are verified / validated and updated to the best of your abilities and your only intent is to protect the coupon codes from being scraped, it should be perfectly fine.

I think the users don't mind clicking to get the code, as long as they are indeed receiving the value stated.

Forcing a click just to see a coupon codes when none exists and forcing a click without stating the exact coupon code savings offer are questionable and deceptive IMO

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "Also, some people display the coupon codes on the page and others force you to click to get the code (and set the cookie)."

And with this approach, you can be deceptive and don't even need any actual coupon codes, it seems merchants and networks don't really have a problem with it based on their inaction. So make your site anyway you want, doesn't matter what some people on message boards think. As long as the merchant and network you work with are ok with it. They're the only one who could boot you out of their program or network and the only ones you get into agreements with.
    Trust,
    It looks like 2008 is going to be "Miller Time" sorry, wrong tag!

It looks like 2008 is going to be " Time", so I am going to start saving all the Via-gra spam I am getting, because I might need to buy some, it in order to keep up with the new 08' open season race to become a super affiliate, and perhaps, even an affiliate of the year somewhere.

Who knows, maybe I make enough to buy enough 's in case I have to hide in the until the bashing and stop!

---------------
    Trust, I owe you a , but wth, enjoy the whole box , before the !

--------

Its not the most user-friendly thing. The coupons should be real. don't say "Click to reveal $20 off $20 Coupon" If you really don't have one for the visitor, or if there is really no code needed, or other deceptive things. That seems to be where the merchants get mad, and your customers will too.

Very consumer-unfriendly. IMHO this approach works if you are not trying to build a base of return customers, which in turn limits the potential of your business.

ABW Ambassador
    Yep, only the crap coupon sites do that. They might sneak a one off cookie on a shopper but won't get any return traffic, build up any loyalty, won't last.

The whole point of it is if they have landed on your site.. there your customer

So if you hide your coupon as a way to get them to click " set the cookies" thats up to you.. you have to get them to make the click anyway it honestly doesnt matter as long as you give them a valid coupon, people will want to argue this but as long as the merchant doesnt argue and is ok it then noone elses opinion matters on it. End of story.

Yep, only the crap coupon sites do that. They might sneak a one off cookie on a shopper but won't get any return traffic, build up any loyalty, won't last.

I think your thinking like a competitor of other affiliates

The average shopper isnt thinking.. Ooooh I had to click to get that coupon they just click like they click on any link in your website

Heck your not in the business of just setting up sites to give away free coupons the reason I assume your giving them it is to

1. Give the customer a deal
    2. Increase Sales
    3. Get a commission while providing value through good content too

Now i may have misunderstood what you said .. but lets remember we are all in this business to make money not to setup pretty sites

Now i could understand if it was like one of those sites where you have to click through like 3 times, send an email, do a skip and a hop to get it but one click through... i dont see that as being deceptive..

Actually i think i saw a post on this forum a while back by an affiliate manager who actually suggested you dont put your code in full view but have it on a second page to get the click..

ABW Ambassador
    ? The average shopper, if they click to see coupons and there aren't any, do you think what they got what they were looking for? Obviously not. It's a deceptive way to set a cookie. And do you think they'll bookmark a coupon site that didn't give them any coupons? Again, obviously not. My responses above are to those where it's setup like that and there are no coupons when saying there are. I always think shopper first. That's why in your other thread when you were asking about leaving up expired coupons. Do you think shoppers like that?

Quote Originally Posted by easylife
    ...but as long as the merchant doesnt argue and is ok it...
    But a lot of merchants aren't okay with it.

ABW Ambassador
    ? The average shopper, if they click to see coupons and there aren't any, do you think what they got what they were looking for? Obviously not. It's a deceptive way to set a cookie. And do you think they'll bookmark a coupon site that didn't give them any coupons? Again, obviously not. My responses above are to those where it's setup like that and there are no coupons when saying there are.

I agree Trust.

Click here to see coupon code must show a valid code. I might even argue that link must precede with a coupon / offerdescription as to what exactly be the savings and restrictions spelled out clearly of using the coupon code that will be revealed by that "click" to see the coupon code.

When a user clicks at that time, the intent is REAL clear. To see and use it and the site is showing the coupon code to get the savings described well in advance to setting up a cookie.

I have concluded myself that is the best way to protect from scrapers as well as to ensure one is credited where commissions are due as well as to retain good consumer experience with loyal customer base.

... but as long as the merchant doesnt argue and is ok it then noone elses opinion matters on it. End of story.
    Not end of story. A merchant "not arguing" is not the same thing as being given permission, and you should never assume that that is the case. Merchants can have dozens, hundreds, thousands of affiliates - do not assume that they always have time to check every single page of every single affiliate every single day.

Bottom line: just because an affiliate hasn't been told to stop doing something wrong doesn't mean he's not doing something wrong.
    ... but lets remember we are all in this business to make money not to setup pretty sites
    Ethically. We're in this business to make money ethically. The dollar is the not bottom line. We have - or should have, for those that don't - standards and ethics.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread