View Poll Results: Forums for your site

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • My site does better with a forum

1 16.67%
  • My forum hasn't helped or hurt my site

2 33.33%
  • My site does better with no forum. I know I had one.

3 50.00%
    I'm thinking about putting a forum on my coupon site. It is actually ready and waiting to go, I just need the link put in and it is up and running. Before I do, I'd like to know from those who have one has it helped your site? Has it helped sales? has it increased traffic? Traffic gone up but sales remain the same?
    Please keep these in mind when voting.

Coupons and a forum... don't mix ... I could show you abestcoupon logs ... couponers are a strange breed, indeed.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

The reason I ask is this: In my daily browsing of the competition I see that a good amount have forums. I'm under the impression that a community is formed and site loyalty follows.

I'd be interested in a summary of what you are talking about Haiko.

Yes, there are a few heavy weights that have forums ... PM Me for details and why I said what I did.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

This is what you have to think about with a coupon forum. Often the best deals that can be had are ones that affiliates are not allowed to post, or if they are allowed to post them they don’t credit for them. You post a nice coupon in your forum. One of your guests comes along and says hey I got a better one than that one use this coupon, and it is no commission for you. While there is a loyalty element, think about whom your visitors are, frugal bottom dollar shoppers, if they can save $.50 by not using your link they will do it. Worse yet some of your better customers may become educated in that they can save an extra $.50 by not using your link, and you will actually lose money. Forums aren’t moneymakers if you’re doing it to make more money it is the wrong reason. If you are adding the forum because you want a community and to have people to talk to, then go ahead.

Also don't forget that these forums suck a lot of bandwidth. Any of the heavyweights can tell you that they pay an arm and a leg for the extra traffic. So the question to ask is if it will pay for itself in increased revenue. I'm a medium sized coupon site and I tried a message board. I had very little to no traffic on the board nor did revenue increase so I canned it.

Connie, you have one. Care to chime in with your experiences?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Enjoy moderating a bunch of flame wars over the lamest BS... (Yes there were lamer flames than here!)

-I've been a king, and I've been a pauper, and everything there is in between ~fairly old country song

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread