Friends say FBI holding software contractor

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

It makes no sense that they should have to detain him and I think it's a violation of his rights. They should let him go and watch him until he is needed in court.

Yep, and there are "at least 44 people being held by the federal government"

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

ABW Ambassador
    shrug.

When I was employed, a friend co-worker of mine said he wasn't concerned about the civil rights issues because it didn't effect him because he hadn't done anything wrong.

I kept telling him that the biggest danger wasn't terrorists being caught through illegal survelance, the problem was non-terrorists being caught under false suspicion because the checks and balances are being eroded.

He didn't seem to understand that the whole problem here is that the fact that he himself "isn't a terrorist and didn't do anything wrong" doesn't make him safe from the erosion of civil liberties!

It seems to be a common attitude though. I don't understand it. Whats eroding are the checks and balances that protect people who haven't done anything wrong, so why do so many people think they are safe just because they haven't done anything wrong?

SirenSong
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

"This proposed law, would radically expand law enforcement and intelligence gathering authorities, reduce or eliminate judicial oversight over surveillance, authorize secret arrests, create a DNA database based on unchecked executive ‘suspicion,’ create new death penalties, and even seek to take American citizenship away from persons who belong to or support disfavored political groups."

Dr. David Cole, Georgetown University Law professor after reviewing a draft of Patriot II Legislation.

Holy @#*&! I am known to nod off now and again, but last time I checked you Americans still had the constitution don't you?

George Orwell was off by twenty years...

SirenSong
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

You could not be more correct SirenSong. And the real scary part barely a peep out of the main stream media, the majority of it owned by just ten corporations and individuals one guy owns 1200! radio stations. (clearchannel)

ABW Ambassador
    Here in Europe we got knowledge that the CIA is unfiltered gathering all datas of online flight bookers. We also saw a big report on TV how inhuman the migration office treats persons from Arabic countries.
    Please give me information on this: The Emergency Powers Acts of the Bush administration allows the administration to invalidate all civil rights if neccessary. Is that true? And who decides if it is neccessary?

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    I guess it isn't political if someone who has an axe to grind with the USA is slamming the USA?

**COUGH**

Chet

[This message was edited by Chez Noir on April 05, 2003 at 10:42 AM.]

As I understand it we are allowed to discuss politics same as we always have, just not war.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Not just in the USA do us "infidels" take moves to protect our butts by removing Islamic extremists from our ranks of citizenship.

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain has revoked the citizenship of a radical Muslim cleric who applauded the September 11 attacks and was banned from preaching at a London mosque, Home Secretary David Blunkett said on Saturday.

Blunkett said he had informed Abu Hamza al-Masri his citizenship was being stripped. He is the first person targeted under new measures aimed at deporting immigrants whose words or actions are deemed to "seriously prejudice" British interests.

"I have sent him a letter withdrawing his citizenship," Blunkett told BBC radio. Masri now faces deportation.

Egyptian-born Masri, a hate figure in British tabloids that have focused on his missing eye and hook in the place of his right hand, has been vilified for applauding the September 11 attacks in the United States and the deaths of Americans and an Israeli in the crash of the space shuttle Columbia.

He was banned from preaching at the North London Central Mosque after police raided it in January in an investigation into the discovery of ricin poison. The mosque has since been closed but Masri has continued to preach in the street outside.

Masri, who lost an eye and both forearms while fighting Soviet forces in Afghanistan, has called Osama bin Laden a hero.

FIGHT ALL THE WAY

But Masri's lawyer, Muddassar Arani, said the cleric had not received the letter and would resist on the grounds that removal of nationality breached EU protocols on human rights.

"We will fight this all the way," she told Reuters.

Blunkett's action follows the introduction of new powers on April 1 allowing the government to strip immigrants holding dual nationality of British citizenship if they "seriously prejudice" the country's vital interests through word or deed.

ROLMAO as I watch Al-Jazeera and Iraqi TV commentators and the Arab spin artists lie through their teeth. When this is all said and done no one anywhere rightfully will be willing to believe a word coming from the mouth pieces of the Islamic World. Truth has a way of coming to the surface as every word from GWB's mouth rings true. Next up ...N. Korea so they can't sell WMD to the next 9/11 volunteers.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

While I certainly abhor that man's sentiments, I believe strongly in his right to express them. I believe that the cure for freedom of speech is more freedom of speech. The truth will out!

ABW Ambassador
    ssanf, the comment was not directed towards you, it was directed towards carneol and i had edited my original reply to carneol.

Chet

He has the rights to express them - in another country. He is also being investigated for benefits fraud and only gained entry into this country in the first place via a bigamous marriage.

I think all moderators will be watching this thread closely because it does fall under "Political" as the direction of this thread seems to be moving towards.

All future posters to this thread should keep this in mind and to follow the ABW rules under the TOS to avoid any issues that may arise from your post. Keep it civil folks.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    ecom said:
    - - - - - - -
    . Next up ...N. Korea so they can't sell WMD to the next 9/11 volunteers.
    - - - - - - -

That's what truly worries me. I do hope China steps up and puts some pressure on them. Surely to God they don't want a slightly unstable neighbor with Nukes. It would be nice to see a world crisis resolved without the US having to be criticised and chastised for taking responsibility, by everyone and their mother.

Maybe since China, Russia, Germany, Canada and France chose to sit this one out, they could take a turn at bat against the Korean problem.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ''Under this interpretation, any one of us could easily be treated as a material witness -- anybody who is suspected of anything. It could be the slightest of suspicion,'' Heymann said <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

After 9/11 the rules and laws were changed big time and unfortunately it will continue. All they need is to be suspect now of anyone and they are allowed to tap phones and do as they please.

This has totaly ticked me off seeing the our rights being taken away by the Government. They have tools that can look through houses to see what is going on. I personally feel my rights as a US citizen are being violated. When they changed some of the laws they more or less gave away alot of our rights.

IMO once things settle down a bit you will be seeing alot of challenges which hopefully will give back to us what IMO was taken away. JMO of course.

Coincidence Me baby!

Affiliate Programs That Just Might Work

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> IMO once things settle down a bit you will be seeing alot of challenges which hopefully will give back to us what IMO was taken away. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I sincerely hope this is what happens. If our system functions as it should, it will happen.

I think we are still allowed to talk about current events and things in the news of general interest, just not to beat each other up over it, right?
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The Café serves as the current affairs forum. However, with this issue (war) members were way to abusive and wouldn't respect the multiple requests to tone it down and remove the personal attacks. Allowing such is of absolutely no benefit to members, member-to-member relations, the industry, our business, in general, nor the board.

Haiko <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First attack, curse, or name calling will get this thread closed.

Anyone is free to report a particular post by clicking the

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    The best time to erode your citizen's rights is when you're engaging in a major concommitant flag-waving exercise.

Labeling any dissent as "unpatriotic" and "un-American" quells the voices almost as good as naming the bill the "Patriot Act" rather than the "Rights Demolition Act".

Jimmy James fan club membership # 3312

Yep, that is why we MUST be diligent and safely guard what others have died to give us and protect.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Haiko:
    First attack, curse, or name calling will get this thread closed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...and now it's closed!

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread