Bestbuy and buy.com - clicks but no sales.. how much delay?
    I joined buy.com and bestbuy.com a few days back.

I made test purchases, and know some purchases were made from my site. After two days, I see a good bunch of clicks, but no sales reported. I see
    1) good number of clicks (around what's expected)

2) no imps (i use only direct product urls, no images and stuff..)

I'm nervous about putting up these links anymore until I actually see a dollar of commission atleast on each.

1) is this normal, how many days does it take for bestbuy and buy.com to show sales? They both seem to batch everyday, so batches are done.

2) In general, if one sees clicks is it conclusive evidence that trackiing is fine with a link? Do clicks and sales have different paths?

URGENT- please let me know if things are okay or busted..

Have the items shipped yet (from your test purchase)?

Also -- how many clicks? It can take hundreds of clicks before a single sale is made.

They always report the next day for me right around noon PST. They're the only two merchants of mine that report at exactly the same time, but Buy.com also reports at midnight PST.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

thanks for the reply otprof.

Bestbuy:
    1) I purchased a couple for store pickup(available now, not picked up)

2) I purchased one online (haven't checked, forgot what email I ordered from..) should've shipped. I'll check later.

Buy.com
    I'm 100% sure of products being purchased from my site. (make that 98%, I didn't actually make the purchases)

So, mainly for these two merchants and in general in CJ when should sales be reported? if it's been a couple of days, should I be worried?

and fundamentally, if clicks show up, is the link pretty much guaranteed? I'll trust the merchant after that.

Edit: Snib you're getting me very worried (thanks for the reply). could you go in a little more about your experience with bestbuy and buy.com about their reporting or quirks? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by emuflies
    Edit: Snib you're getting me very worried (thanks for the reply). could you go in a little more about your experience with bestbuy and buy.com about their reporting or quirks? TIA
    They're pretty solid for the most part. No real complaints here.

- Scott

Okay, Fundamental question:

1) If a click is seen due to a link, is the link fully functional (i.e. we can just rest easy thinking sales will be reported fine whenever they are!)

If I know this to be true that'd be very comforting.

Any cases where the links can show clicks but not sales?

ABW Ambassador
    A link can certainly be functional but a sale may not track on the merchant's end due to a host of reasons. There is nothing in this business that is guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    A link can certainly be functional but a sale may not track on the merchant's end due to a host of reasons. There is nothing in this business that is guaranteed.
    Thanks snowman, Let's be more specific. I'd really really appreciate any help provided, because I'm freaking out..

I'm a little "less" worried about buy.com because I generated the product link through their website's "smart/build your own link" interface.

For bestbuy, I the damm interface didn't let me do a product link (I can't believe they're this stoopid, but I got no good response from them), so I did a link of the format:

www dp -bol- vw net/click-pid-10474050?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bestbuy.com%2Fsite%2Folspage

Also, like I said I just use these http links, no images, nothing. The link gets served through a php redirect on my website, simple.

thanks a lot for any help. please look at this a bit and help me out. i need to immediately make decisions on whether to use the links or not. It's a lot of money with just these links.

I do see clicks in the CJ interface.. what does that mean?

Okay,

I checked my bestbuy test order status, and it was shipped on 11/20 (2 days back).

If the sale is not reported am I hosed? or is there still hope for it in a few days? Man I'm already sick of CJ and BB

---
    Dora Activity Book SKU: 8398496
    Status: 1 item(s) shipped via STANDARD on 11/20/07 via USPS 02849798814015903125.
    ----

ABW Ambassador
    Just to close out my comments, I'm unable to help with your situation. I don't have the technical experience to do so. My business partner, who doesn't participate here, handles that.

I do think you are overreacting though and I have my doubts as to your comment that this represents a lot of money since you only joined the program a few days ago. Affiliate marketing can be a very nerve wracking business since affiliates basically have no rights. Since this has caused you to "freak out," maybe you should reconsider whether affiliate marketing is right for you.

thats explain why BestBuy has low convert ... tracking not works ...

So buy.com did come through after a couple of days and sales posted.

Bestbuy.com is now showing up sales still, and it's more than 4 days since the product shipped.

Okay, here's an update about the Bestbuy situation. The CJ/Bestbuy rep called me back after several emails.

1) Bestbuy is VERY anaal about the links. Only links in their database work. Changing URLs might work with other CJ merchants, but NOT with Bestbuy. Thats why clicks could report, but not sales.

2) So, if you need to use a link that's not in their database, someone at Bestbuy needs to create it and put it in the database (doesn't look like even CJ can do it). this can take several days.

Hope this helps someone in the future. I just got links for the products I was interested in, so i did a test purchase. I'll know if I'm home free.

If I had a choice, I'd probably not want to deal with Bestbuy.. I'll try to do that when I can..

ABW Ambassador
    As far as electronics, Circuit City over at Performics is converting like crazy for me and then Amazon is doing great. Buy.com and Best Buy, getting sales but conversions, for me at least, not as good as the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    As far as electronics, Circuit City over at Performics is converting like crazy for me and then Amazon is doing great. Buy.com and Best Buy, getting sales but conversions, for me at least, not as good as the others.
    Probably because Worst Buy has no real deals, and most customers can figure it out. It's been a long while since I found a deal at WorstBuy that I wanted to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    They're all doing great here except Best Buy and Buy.com aren't quite as nice as Amazon and CC in terms of earnings. Best Buy does have the worst conversion rate, but a lot of that may be due to their products going out of stock so quickly.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by emuflies
    Okay, here's an update about the Bestbuy situation. The CJ/Bestbuy rep called me back after several emails.

1) Bestbuy is VERY anaal about the links. Only links in their database work. Changing URLs might work with other CJ merchants, but NOT with Bestbuy. Thats why clicks could report, but not sales.

2) So, if you need to use a link that's not in their database, someone at Bestbuy needs to create it and put it in the database (doesn't look like even CJ can do it). this can take several days.

Hope this helps someone in the future. I just got links for the products I was interested in, so i did a test purchase. I'll know if I'm home free.

If I had a choice, I'd probably not want to deal with Bestbuy.. I'll try to do that when I can..

No wonder their CPC for 7 days is $8.. whooo.. we can retire on $8 a week now cant we..

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    They're all doing great here except Best Buy and Buy.com aren't quite as nice as Amazon and CC in terms of earnings. Best Buy does have the worst conversion rate, but a lot of that may be due to their products going out of stock so quickly.

- Scott
    Yeah I agree scott with Amazon, they convert like hotcakes! I like my amazon sales just a pity they only pay out every quarter

ABW Ambassador
    They pay monthly now.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread