iPhone/Safari problems accessing .cfm site & redirects
    Today, I was alarmed to find that when I tried to log into a web site that uses "Cold Fusion" technology, using my iPhone, I was rejected every time. To make matters worse, the same web's sites "ordinary redirects" also would not work today, when I clicked on links using my iPhone. When I logged into the same web site using a regular computer with MS Internet Explorer, I had no problems at all.

This is a new development -- I was able to access the same web site using my iPhone many times in the past few weeks, and redirects worked until at least sometime yesterday (and I think they worked earlier today). The company involved [SAS] has prominently announced that their staff is off for the holidays, so I would not expect any "system upgrades" to be the issue. Nor did I update the phone software recently.

Any thoughts or ideas? This is not a crisis, by any measure, but it certainly baffled me today.

have you rebooted your iPhone

Yes, I did reboot the iPhone as soon as I experienced this problem; it had no effect.

Is it the same behavior in Safari for Windows?
    http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

I just tried the SAS login from my iPhone, and it worked fine.

It wasn't right around midnight EST that you were experiencing the problem on the iPhone, was it? SAS has a known performance issue around midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Yes, I did reboot the iPhone as soon as I experienced this problem; it had no effect.
    Shit, it pays to wait for a response before I reply to a new post!

I thought that HardwareGeek was making a sarcastic remark when he said:
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    have you rebooted your iPhone
    But now I now that even an iPhone may need to be rebooted too!

Side Note: Now I wish I can Reboot myself too back to the 70's too!

nah I wans't being sarcastic lol.

Sometimes phones act funny and a reboot helps

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    nah I wans't being sarcastic lol.

Sometimes phones act funny and a reboot helps
    Yep - I've had to reboot mine a couple of times thus far. Who woulda thunk it?

Mark, I was able to log in via iPhone this morning and this afternoon while I was on the road. No problem at all.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Update: When I plugged in my iPhone to my computer today (for the first time in about a week), iTunes insisted on installing a software upgrade (to 1.1.2); I hoped that would solve the strange problem.

But no, when I try to visit the SAS site, I get the message "Safari can't open the page. // The error was: 'lost network connection' (NSURLErrorDomain:-1005)"

I get the same error message when I click through on any SAS links, using the iPhone (if I click on a link in one of my PopShops, I see the popshops redirect and then it "hangs" on the SAS redirect; if I click on an SAS link on another site, I get the error message right away).

I simply cannot access the SAS site in any way, nor do any SAS redirect links work, using my iPhone. It seems pretty clear that it's limited to my iPhone -- several folks have responded that they're not having this problem with their iPhones.

What's really interesting is that the iPhone is tapping into the same exact WiFi network as my desktop computer, which isn't having any similar problems. (Yesterday, I was at my in-laws' home using the "AT&T Edge Network" when I first experienced the problem.)

Is there any way to check whether the iPhone might be using a different DNS lookup than my other computers? I suppose that's one potential source for this problem.

And yes, my wife and I have each experienced "bizarre problems" in the past (this week, my wife's iPhone stopped recognizing "clicks" even though it still recognized multi-touch resize motions); in most cases, the problems are completely resolved by "rebooting" or power-cycling the iPhone.

When my wife's first iPhone stopped working and we were getting a replacement at at Apple Store, I was not surprised to learn that in order to remove the SIMM card from the old phone, the same "Apple specialty tool" was required (i.e. an unbent paper clip).

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread