What's the minimum you'll work for?
    I have 3 sites that are my bread and butter. I work on them daily. I have about a dozen others that quietly churn out a few dollars a day - and I seldom work on them at all.

I know it all adds up and in theory it's better to have 1000 sites earning $2 a day than 1 site earning $2000. But all those little sites need updating once in a while, even if it's once a year.

So my question is, if you averaged it out, how much per hour is the minimum you'll work for? Does anyone have a rule of thumb they'd like to share?

ie, if you had a site that earned you $120 this past year, and you spent 12 hours on it (1 hour a month) is $10 an hour worth it to you? Or would you pull the plug on it due to lack of interest & time?

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Whatever it takes to reach the end result I've assigned to the effort.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by ToughTurkey
    ...So my question is, if you averaged it out, how much per hour is the minimum you'll work for? Does anyone have a rule of thumb they'd like to share? ...$10 an hour worth it to you?...plug on it due to lack of interest & time?
    That's a tough question to generalize with a rule-of-thumb because the answer will be different for everyone who responds. There was a time that I would have been "tickled to death" with $10 per hour. But, as Alan suggests, it is usually the return on effort for a specific project that I look at today. But, then again, I host and maintain two Websites for local organizations for FREE - just because I want to. One is my "former" school and the other is for a local association of museums in which I have taken an interest.

So, to answer your question - with a non-answer...YOU need to be satisfied with what YOU are doing. Are you happy with what you have accomplished thus far? Are you seeing growth? Are you having fun? To me, those are three qualities that I find important to what I am doing.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

"Work" is about so much more than just money that it's hard to make a blanket statement about how much my time is worth. There are some things I wouldn't do even if I got $300/hr for my time...and there are other things I'll do for free. Similarly, I'm more than happy to offer a friend some PPC marketing advice and guidance, but it's not something I offer as a service even if I can charge an arm and a leg for it.

It depends on what the work is, how busy I am already, how closely it relates to my main activities, what I can learn from it, how it benefits others, whom it benefits, etc. etc. etc.

I have found I'm terrible at knowing what I'll earn from any effort. Sometimes I'll take an hour to toss up a site and it will quietly generate $20 a month forever. Other times I'll spend weeks building something wonderful and it I'm lucky it brings in $1 a month.

If I knew what the result would be I probably wouldn't work for less than $20 per hour, but I don't know. Most of my work is essentially wasted but I don't know which it is until it's done.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar

I know it all adds up and in theory it's better to have 1000 sites earning $2 a day than 1 site earning $2000.
    This is not necessarily true. $2000 is not always $2000 once you figure in the time required to get it. My $2000 may come from 10 hours of work while yours may come from 40 hours of work. I guess "better" is relative.

It all depends on the enjoyment factor for me. If I am enjoying what I'm doing, the money isn't so important. I make less in affiliate marketing than I did a few years ago, but I am having a lot more fun with it.

I'm fortunate to have a j*b outside of affiliate marketing that pays me fairly well, and allows me to work if and when I want.
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
    ~Lynn Hall

I agree about the enjoyment factor, I'll take less pay for a site that I love doing because I'm just happy to be getting paid for a hobby.

I think when your starting, it's good to focus on the end result and not so much the per hour basis, at least that's how I look at it.

God Bless,

Valerie

I know it all adds up and in theory it's better to have 1000 sites earning $2 a day than 1 site earning $2000. But all those little sites need updating once in a while, even if it's once a year.
    I don't know who originally came up with that idea, but I disagree. I think it's better to have fewer sites. Not necessarily just one, but few enough that you can spend enough time to make the sites truly valuable and useful. If someone has 1000 sites, I can pretty much guarantee that they're not very useful.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    Whatever it takes to reach the end result I've assigned to the effort.
    Exactly! If I can make as much from AM as my day j*b by working twice as much for half the pay, I'd take it because I love AM much, much more. LOL. As long as I reach the end result I want (without killing myself by working too hard.... LOL) then, whatever it takes..
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

$1K a day keeps the real job away. I'm not sure what would be the minimum for me, but I hate when it's less.
    Last edited by megamoney; November 25th, 2007 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    If someone has 1000 sites, I can pretty much guarantee that they're not very useful.
    that is part of my dilemna, to update these low income sites takes time. But am I willing to invest my time into low income sites for the greater good of the internet? I don't think so, I do this to make money, its a biz decision.

The benefit i was referring to from by 1000 sites earning $1 is you are more likely to survive longer with your eggs in many baskets. All your money coming from 1 or 2 sites can be lost with your sites crashing, google dropping you, that niche falling out of favour, more competition, etc.

I agree with michael, I have 1 main site and a handful of other sites. I prefer to add value to the 1 site and build loyalty(no, not cashback loyalty), so people want to come back. Eventually, I could work less and it would continue to prosper (not my style though, I prefer aggressive growth). If I had 100 sites, they wouldn't get the attention to be anything I would be proud to have, and wouldn't be fun.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    that is part of my dilemna, to update these low income sites takes time. But am I willing to invest my time into low income sites for the greater good of the internet? I don't think so, I do this to make money, its a biz decision.

The benefit i was referring to from by 1000 sites earning $1 is you are more likely to survive longer with your eggs in many baskets. All your money coming from 1 or 2 sites can be lost with your sites crashing, google dropping you, that niche falling out of favour, more competition, etc.
    As is (delivered tongue in cheek) "sometimes" the case, Mr. Coley makes a good point. I also understood your original "drift" when you referenced 1,000 sites making $2 each per day. You were talking about diversity versus single source reliance.

Of course it would be impossible for one person to maximize revenues for each of 1,000 sites, unless you were content to be a jack of all trades, and a master of none. I'd suggest identifying maybe your top 6, devote your time there until you get them up to snuff, and then I.D. two or three more and repeat the process. The "throw enough spaghetti on the wall and some of it should stick" philosophy does not lend itself to high quality / high return results, so concentrate on maximizing your better sites first. I could extend this post to 200 pages, but as your question is very general, this is an alternative generic answer. Good luck. :-)
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I don't know who originally came up with that idea, but I disagree. I think it's better to have fewer sites. Not necessarily just one, but few enough that you can spend enough time to make the sites truly valuable and useful. If someone has 1000 sites, I can pretty much guarantee that they're not very useful.
    Yepper, I concur. Too much diversification hurts in many ways. If you're a one person affiliate outfit, I'd say having less than 3 is dangerous because you lack diversification and having more than 50 means you've entered the dilution phase. It depends on efficiency, site types, full-time status, how long you've been doing this, etc - but I'd peg the optimum number of sites, for a wide range of us, at between 4 and 15. Less than 4, I'd urge anyone here to diversify. More than 15, I'd urge greater focus.

That said, every affiliate needs to be growing their business, so if you're on the fat side of 15, cooking some new things and letting them simmer, exploring new areas really, I wouldn't count those efforts (if they push you over 15), at being unfocused. But if somebody here claims to have 20+ sites that are distinctly unique and mostly unlinked in theme and merchants, they'd better have a very unique strategy to convince me they are really diversified with sites that are actually managed.

The perfect balance point varies for us all, but spread too thin, everything turns to vapor.

I disagree. 1000 sites can disappear just as quickly as a single site. But the nice thing about building fewer sites is you can focus on building a loyal audience without relying on SEO. IMO the best way to succeed in this business is to become an authority in your niche, but that's very hard to do when you spread yourself thin.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I disagree. 1000 sites can disappear just as quickly as a single site. But the nice thing about building fewer sites is you can focus on building a loyal audience without relying on SEO. IMO the best way to succeed in this business is to become an authority in your niche, but that's very hard to do when you spread yourself thin.

- Scott
    I agree. I tried the "Many sites, little focus" route for a while and had to rethink what I was doing because I found that I didn't have enough hours in the day to dedicate to my sites.

Outsourced Program Manager Stephanie Harris's Avatar
    I agree with Michael's point. If you have a handful of sites that you are dedicated to, that you put a lot of time and effort into, and have a passion about, they will almost always generate more and provide more value than those affiliates who are managing a thousand sites. Us managers work with so many affiliates over so many different verticals and I can say that most usually the best relationships and the best results from these relationships tends to come from the affiliate with a handful of sites. At least on the content or coupon side of the coin.
    Stephanie Harris
    Schaaf Consulting
    p/f: 323.386.2338
    AIM: stephschaafco
    www.schaafco.com | stephanie@schaafco.com
    Our Programs: Baby Catalog | Blue Bee | Constant Contact | CourseSmart | ForMeToCoupon | Homestead | InTheSwim | Ipsos Survey Panel | LightInTheBox.com | Moosejaw | Mrs. Prindables | Payless ShoeSource | simply youth ministry | SnagAJob.com | Specialty Pool Products

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    The question does not reflect the way things really work.

If we knew which sites or projects would not produce we would obviously not spend time on them. We would only focus on proven winners. However since we do not know with certainty which projects will produce the most fruit we work away at those we believe in with the hope that the return is worth the effort.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Well, it's not just hope. You can see signs of success along the way and as your experiences build, you can "see" these things better and better.

But Coley's point still applies here too - if you have too many, then there's no way you'll even be able to tell which ones are working well - there's too much to observe and tweak and test and track and create and adjust.

It's a little bit like a baseball pitchers journey... start by learning one pitch extremely well, then try to work in other types to add depth and richness and the ability to battle different types of situations that will come along in time. And while no pitcher can throw every type of pitch perfectly, he can strive to build a quiver of excellent choices he can hurl at his opponents. The careers of one-pitch phenoms is often too short lived to make the Hall of Fame. And the Hall is filled with a wide variety of timing, techniques and tactics of those who made it last. Each season, pick a couple of pitches to make stronger - if you tried to work on 100 different pitches, the other guy gets to hit all the home runs.

I think you can't calculate your returns in terms of $$/hour, because the site can go on making money for you forever, not just once.

And also it's important if that 20 hours of work were made at home, and in the same time you were listening to music, and you had your cat in your lap, and did other great stuff. I think they are worth more than a $20/h job in an office, with a boss, always checking on you and stressing you out.

I think it changes over time, so it's really hard to put numbers to it. Early on, a few bucks an hour seemed like a lot... now, not so much. A year from now, what I'm making now will seem like a low number (hopefully ). I tend to put lower expectations on my hourly wage during a learning period, when I'm doing more research and education than implementation, too. Most of the time though... I don't think in terms of $/hr.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread