6 12.00%
  • No

38 76.00%
  • I'm not wearing any clothes.

6 12.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Do you have the alexa toolbar installed
    Do you have it installed?
    Also, do you think having the toolbar installed helps your alexa rank much?

ABW Ambassador
    Who's she?

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    No and no. Alexa is a highly overrated metric.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I think it's debatable as to whether Alexa is a metric at all. lol!

This is a very frustrating poll. I wanted to answer #2 and #3. I got that smartass gene donchaknow.

I hate to install any type of toolbar.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    I did at one time, but uninstalled it because I noticed a performance issue with the browser when installed.

1. nope

2. helps Alexa rank only if you visit it a lot while using the toolbar. pretty phony for some folks . . .

No

And when asked, I always say "Don't"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've got it on IE.

It helps loads. It took a site from about 3,000,000 up to the 600,000s. It used to help even more, but they did some kind of tweaks that lessened the effect. But it's still well worth installing if you want to make your Alexa rank "better."

Alexa rank is total, massively-gameable, junk. The only point in caring about it is if the site is going to get some kind of benefit from advertisers who think it's got value. So for them, I make sure to fire up IE at least once a day and take a tour of certain sites of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I hate to install any type of toolbar.
    I don't like toolbars in general, but have occasional use for them. So what I did is put all the toolbars on IE, and none on Firefox.

For normal browsing I use FF, and when I want to use a toolbar, I open up IE.

I had the Alexa toolbar installed a long, long time ago, and last year when I checked the Alexa web site, I still see "related site" data that seems almost certainly based solely on my activity (it shows utterly unrelated sites as being related, probably because I visited the sites multiple times on the same days). That tells me that the data can't be very reliable, if it's based on a single user's activity. It seems especially vulnerable to manipulation, although based on other comments here, perhaps new efforts to manipulate it won't work.

I haven't used the Alexa tool bar for a very long time. I do have the Google Toolbar installed, to allow easier access to my Google Bookmarks.

As I've mentioned here before, I do occasionally hear "Alexa rating" as a reason for being "declined" for an affiliate program. I view this as as clear evidence of cluelessness, and I'm thankful for being declined by anyone dumb enough to rely on Alexa as a major factor in deciding whether to decline affiliates.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    1. nope

2. helps Alexa rank only if you visit it a lot while using the toolbar. pretty phony for some folks . . .
    I concur with the above.

As a consultant, I once had a CEO of a small company ask me how he could improve his alexa ranking... I told him I'd take care of it... I had his IT guys install the toolbar on every pc in the building and to push it out to their remote sales force as well, all across the country (using company laptops)... couple weeks later, over lunch, he asked me how I did it. Even after explaining the details, he was still happy to have the "results" I managed to produce for them. I firmly tried to tell him it wasn't worth the price of lunch, and was likely negatively impacting productivity by slowing down so many computers, but he's was nearly giddy with the outcome. I thought I'd teach him a lesson in all of this, but I was the one who got schooled (again)... to some people, technology can be more convincing than the people they'd trust their business secrets with... one main reason why adware / zango / cart popping persists today... reported sales can be tricky to interpret and there's some kind of immaturity / naivete force at work that leads many to believe things at face value only.

It takes a deeper understanding and a healthy dose of skepticism to excel in this industry - for me, Alexa is a good reminder of that. It tells you sites are getting hits, but no more than that. To know more, you've got to look closer and to be wisely careful with the conclusions you draw from such limited data.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    As I've mentioned here before, I do occasionally hear "Alexa rating" as a reason for being "declined" for an affiliate program. I view this as as clear evidence of cluelessness, and I'm thankful for being declined by anyone dumb enough to rely on Alexa as a major factor in deciding whether to decline affiliates.
    That's what prompted the poll. I had some merchant comment on my alexa. I look at it sometimes, and kinda-sorta use it to compare my site with some similar ones, but I don't have the toolbar installed.

And to those not wearing clothes... GET DRESSED! (or or those of the opposite sex,... COME ON OVER )

http and a telephoto
    I don't have the real alexa toolbar installed, that was a nightmare I won't repeat. But I have the Search Status Firefox plug in installed that has Page Rank, Alexa and Complete showing on it. It works the same way, the sites I visit often move up in Alexa, including friends sites that were zeros This version of the toolbar doesn't muck up your computer or slow page loading. I don't have one in IE, but then again, I only use IE to log into Shareasale and to occasionally see how a site looks.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I place no value on it whatsoever. Any metric that can be gamed, will be. You could load it on a couple machines, write a quick macro and have it continually hit your sites. Instant rank. There were even a few "services" that would use banks of machines to hit your site and increase rank.

As for the merchant making a comment on Alexa rank, sounds like someone who doesn't know much. If you explain it to them, and they still don't get it, is that someone you want to partner with?

The number of "no" replies seems overwhelming.

I've already got enough links in my Bookmark bar (3-4 rows), so a toolbar would just give me even less viewable space for sites.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    That's what prompted the poll. I had some merchant comment on my alexa. I look at it sometimes, and kinda-sorta use it to compare my site with some similar ones, but I don't have the toolbar installed.

Yep, same thing happened to me a while back. Like Lox, I installed the firefox plugin and my sites are now significantly higher than they were, from high millions to mid xxx,xxx ranking. Completely useless, imho, but you've got to keep those that don't know any better happy.

I'm building out a very large site right now that I know has no inbound links yet and it has an alexa ranking of better than 500k, no visitors... just me viewing pages several times an hour. How much value does that stat hold... none to me, but maybe affiliate managers feel differently.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

It wouldn't hurt to use it as part of your arsenal though. As long as there is perceived value via others, it is a tool to keep in the toolbox. It is kind of like the paint shop at GM. Does a white paint job really make the car more valuable than a pink one? Not really, but it is the perceived value that really counts here. Don't go thinking via the mind of an internet marketer, SEO expert, or web design guru. Think along the lines of the common everyday Joe who thinks #100 is better than #500.

-sfcom

ABW Ambassador
    The common every day Joe has no clue about Alexa. And the thing is so easily manipulated, anytime I hear a merchant or affiliate talking about their Alexa numbers, newbie comes to mind or they've spent too much time reading Make Money Online blogs from bloggers that have never really made any real money on their own. It's why you see the poll results above as they are.

http and a telephoto
    A lot of sites making a lots of money have NO Alexa ranking at all, or are in the 6 million range...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    No I don't but I do have the Alexa firefox plugin. I don't remember why though.

i have the FF plugin installed

It's interesting that there are more unclothesed people than ones that use the alexa toolbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    It's why you see the poll results above as they are.
    I would instead say that the poll results are from the (understandable) affiliate disgust regarding BHOs.

It might pay to keep that # high. Re Alexa ranking itself, the only potential customers lost are ones that think the site's Alexa ranking isn't high enough. They wouldn't say: "Hey, this Alexa rank is too high. I'm outta here." Could be something like 801 paying customers with a 1000 Alexa ranking vs 800 paying customers with a 5000 ranking. You never know...

I look at it like this: if it doesn't hurt you, it could help you. For the small amount of effort it takes to significantly increase Alexa ranking, I think it is worth it.

-sfcom

ABW Ambassador
    You should do a search here on Alexa and read some old threads, we have threads going back 6 years. The poll is more a reflection on the numerous past discussions on it. Increasing your Alexa ranking isn't going to do anything for you, has nothing to do with customers. I could load it up right now and other ways to manipulate it but what does that get you really besides a better Alexa rank? And what does a better Alexa rank get you specifically?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast