Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Why do some have to spoil things for everyone?

It does not seem unreasonable to me for Haiko to require that people make a good faith effort to discuss things without personal attacks. Any half way inteligent person should be able to talk on assorted subjects and maintain their point of view without demeaning the other people in the discussion, if they decide to do so. It is a necessary skill in life.

Since he made that a requirement, I have tried to keep things on a more intellectual plane. But, due to lack of cooperation, it seems we can't discuss adult issues such as current events. That is a d*mned shame, since we have a great opportunity for sharing which could be of benefit to everyone.

Why must it be foolishly thrown away?

I want it known that I really don't appreciate anyone who, because of their nonsense, keeps me from communicating with other ABW members on any subject what-so-ever. This is a personal loss to me and I am sure to others as well.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Eh, even though we disagree on a lotta political stuff, ssanf, I sure agree with you on this.

Time Is A Parasite's Friend

I'm all for all open discussions (on any topic) ... let's just keep it professional ...there is absolutely no need for name calling, personal attacks or cursing.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Totally agree with all posts above mine.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Okay, what the heck are we talking about here? I must have missed something.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing
    Every day is a chance to learn something new and an opportunity to teach others.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    Why do some have to spoil things for everyone?

Any half way inteligent person should be able to talk on assorted subjects and maintain their point of view without demeaning the other people in the discussion, if they decide to do so. It is a necessary skill in life.

Since he made that a requirement, I have tried to keep things on a more intellectual plane. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ya know, I would almost buy this if it had not been for the "of course Texas sucks, it has no water" comment...

Vicki

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

LOL! Come on, Vicky, you know I was trying to be funny. Do you think the great state of Texas went home crying with hurt feelings?

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    LOL! Come on, Vicky, you know I was trying to be funny.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, I know you were. Just teasing you!!!!

Vicki
    I'm here to spread the message... God blessed Texas!

I agree.

I think there's a real need for these discussions at a time like this, and this is in many ways a unique platform for it - it's a shame feelings run too high and it turns ugly.

But, I understand Haiko's need to stop it when things go too far.

Keep it all out - I prefer not to have my impression of people as affiliate marketers colored by the views they express on these topics.

Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    Not sure what the problem is here.

This is an affiliate marketing forum, for discussion mainly about internet marketing. As soon as discussions get racially motivated or any single person on this board feels like they are being personally, spiritually (or any other d@mn way) attacked, then ABW is no longer the forum for that discussion.

Moderators are right to end these discussions.

If you are not happy with ABW policy, then start your own Open Forum where everything goes. Stop complaining here - your moaning is pathetic.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

Vicki,

I hope you understand that my post about Texas was in regards to their basketball team and they do have a good bb team. It was an awesome game. I think the reason they might of lost was because they were thirsty for lack of water

Stay tuned for a Kansas sucks thread coming soon. Eeeks, I'm a little nervous about tonights game after the thrashing Kansas gave Saturday night. Hopefully they can't figure out our zone defense. Gonna be a good one. GO SU!

Coincidence Me baby!

Affiliate Programs That Just Might Work

QUOTE] This is an affiliate marketing forum, for discussion mainly about internet marketing. [/QUOTE]

That is only partially true. We are all in this business together and we need a break from time to time. Do office workers talk only about the job at the water cooler? Well the lounge is our water cooler. Many people come here when they just can't stand to create another link to talk with their coworkers about assorted things. This makes ABW very unique.

If all I wanted was affiliate marketing info., I would go to Webmasterworld. But here, I know that I can find companionship among those who really understand what it is like to work on the computer all day as an affiliate marketer. This you won't even find from your own family.

Additionally, when we get to know each other and how we think, we also know whose ideas are of value and who can be trusted with what is sometimes information that will add significantly to our bottom line.

Also, I know that I don't HAVE to be checking the news all the time. I can be pretty sure if something BIG happens, it will be posted on ABW very quickly.

It is for these reasons that ABW has been so successful. There are other boards that provide affiliate information, but there is no place like ABW. ABW helps us keep our sanity in what could otherwise be a very lonely business.

I'm sorry that you haven't seen that the value of ABW has been far greater than the forum you would want it to be.

[This message was edited by SSanf on April 07, 2003 at 12:12 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaPackster:
    Vicki,

I hope you understand that my post about Texas was in regards to their basketball team and they do have a good bb team. It was an awesome game. I think the reason they might of lost was because they were thirsty for lack of water

_Coincidence Me baby! _

http://home.twcny.rr.com/esm/webmast...></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, np Packy!
    My hubby got a chuckle out of it. It was a cute way to start a friendly wager!

Vicki

Vivki,

Haiko,

Why not a private forrum for the war and politics. Maybe a password to get in. That way the people who don't want to see the topics of discussion don't have to.

I also agree that the racial slurs and name calling should be kept out of all posts. Set it up with one warning and they are banned from posting in the private political forrum. Just a thought. I know with all the stuff and breaking news going on it would be nice to be able to discuss it here.

Coincidence Me baby!

Affiliate Programs That Just Might Work

[This message was edited by DaPackster on April 07, 2003 at 12:46 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I think the biggest problem you see here is that many people are from many different places, and have many axes to grind with the USA. These people will say any lie, rumor or anti-american thing they can find, then try to stand behind some... i was just posting it, I don't know if it is true.

There are a few people on these forums who keep spreading lies (even now in the last thread closed). I am sorry, but I will not stand by when people say lies like that, or when they revel in american deaths or anyones death, but of course they only seem to gleefully post the america deaths.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    I don't have a problem with these types of discussions. People have these same discussions at work. I now work at home so this is a place to discuss these types of topics. Usually you can tell what the topic is about from the subject, so if you don't like it, don't read it and don't participate in it. Theres 100+ forums, so 1 for current events is ok.

"Just finished another 3am coding session? Grab a coffee and meet fellow webmasters here to discuss issues and news."

Maybe clarify that. Issues and news of affiliate marketing or issues and news not related to affiliate marketing? Also current events should be discussed in Midnight Cafe or A Best Web Virtual Family?

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaPackster:

Why not a private forrum for the war and politics. Maybe a password to get in. That way the people who don't want to see the topics of discussion don't have to. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I give this a very strong second.

Yes, this is a board on a completely unrelated topic, but that's what makes discussion here so valuble. I have lots of places where I can have discussions with people who share my views, but it's rare to find a forum with truely diverse views, becuase people (myself included) tend to cluster in groups that share many of their views. This forum brings together people from a variety of backgrounds, and because it is completely unrelated to politcs (exept the politics of blocking parasites), it brings together people with a very valubly diverse range of views.

I agree that those who don't want any part of such discussion should not be subjected to it on an unrelated board. (When I get sick of the discussion, I just skip the war threads, but that's me.

I also agree that it's useless to try to have any sort of discussion that just brings up deriding comments and general uglyness.

However, I would love the oppertunity to have inteligent, respectful conversations with people on a variety of views on the subject. I like it when someone actually manages to say something that makes me have to think twice about something. I enjoy thought-provoking discussion.

But what's happed on this board in the war/civil liberties threads is not thought-provoking. It's largely people trying to prove the rightness of their views via the rather uneffective tactics of insulting or demeaning the opposition, or by trying to shout the opposition down. No one benefits from this. It doesn't make anyone think, it just makes both sides dig in their heels and think less

Sorry, I didn't intend for this to become such a rant/ramble. I'll stop now. And I intend for this to be my last post to public thread on a politically controverial topic on this board.

SirenSong
    Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> QUOTE] This is an affiliate marketing forum, for discussion mainly about internet marketing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is only partially true. We are all in this business together and we need a break from time to time. Do office workers talk only about the job at the water cooler? Well the lounge is our water cooler. Many people come here when they just can't stand to create another link to talk with their coworkers about assorted things. This makes ABW very unique.
    [/QUOTE]

True SSanf. But look at your quote again...

This is an affiliate marketing forum, for discussion mainly internet marketing.

Mainly...that's why there is a lounge area to the board. For the reasons you stated above. It is also a community and the interaction of it's members on a more personal level does make it a unique place. The problem is...I can guarantee you, that if the talk around the water cooler at work was people saying what some of the posts have been, they probably wouldn't have their jobs anymore. That type of verbiage towards other coworkers would not be tolerated. As you stated in your first post in this thread, it's a shame a few can ruin for others on the board.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm sorry that you haven't seen that the value of ABW has been far greater than the forum you would want it to be.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

??? Not sure I quite follow that reasoning or agree. I think it's a move to keep it exactly that!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Haiko said:
    I'm all for all open discussions (on any topic) ... let's just keep it professional ...there is absolutely no need for name calling, personal attacks or cursing.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems pretty straightforward. I keep saying that regarding this issue. It's up to the members who are posting. Discussions can happen as long as they are kept professional. So far, that has not been the case. I'd love to see a discussion happen in a professional manner. Afterall, I love a good debate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Why not a private forrum for the war and politics. Maybe a password to get in. That way the people who don't want to see the topics of discussion don't have to.

I also agree that the racial slurs and name calling should be kept out of all posts. Set it up with one warning and they are banned from posting in the private political forrum. Just a thought. I know with all the stuff and breaking news going on it would be nice to be able to discuss it here.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The opportunity was given....more than once for these topics to be discussed. Pleas for common courtsey and restraint were made numberous time. Unheeded. Warnings were issued more than once. Unheeded. Policy was specificly set up and referenced more than once. Unheeded. Action was taken.

When people learn to act like an adult in their postings and express themselves in a civilized manner, then I'm sure they can post about what topics they want. The responsibilty lies with each and every individual poster. At this time, I think a private forum would be just yet another opportunity for some people to debase other members. I see no benefit in that to ABW as a "community."

Just my 3 cents.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

ABW Ambassador
    Have 1 forum where we can talk about current events, Midnight Cafe or A Best Web Virtual Family. People who don't like it, don't have to read it. Simple. There are a lot of people who do this for a living or stay home and do this, and this would be great so we can stay on 1 board and talk about affiliate marketing and current events if we want too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> That way the people who don't want to see the topics of discussion don't have to.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, if just seeing a topic has been posted on upsets you, I don't know what to say. You needn't read the posts as things stand, now.

I feel that what is needed is more of us telling abusers to knock it off either publicly or privately. Social pressure works wonders even in an on line community. We need not put it all on the moderators. We can tone it down by not letting it all hang out in our own posts and indicating disapproval when others do.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Have 1 forum where we can talk about current events, Midnight Cafe or A Best Web Virtual Family. People who don't like it, don't have to read it. Simple. There are a lot of people who do this for a living or stay home and do this, and this would be great so we can stay on 1 board and talk about affiliate marketing and current events if we want too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. And if a discussion in that forum gets out of hand, it can be closed just like in all the other forums.

Vicki

ABW Ambassador
    A discussion is something other than that what appeared here from especially two or three persons. Usually things are discussed to give arguments and to hear arguments and to exchange information. From some people here I learned that they think all those who have not the same opinion as they, are generally enemys . Those say: you have to think as we or you lie or must be an enemy of the USA. This is no discussion this is a dictation. This generally makes this board less worth than it could be and if not contradicted other people could think that those two or three persons rule. I personally would beg Haiko to change the rules and to ban all those who show intolerance here. This - intolerance - is the enemy, not other opinions.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    And I would ask Haiko ban those that preach hate with lies.

As someone who deals with news, in particular news about the war (these days), I'd appreciate war discussions (and other current event discussions) being sectioned off. Make it easy to ignore and they are fine with me.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast