Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Suggestion For Merchants: Include Links in Newsletters
    I don't know about everyone else but I would really appreciate it if ALL merchants would put links in their newsletters or emails that go along with their promotions.

Most merchants are very good about this. However many don't and, when it gets very busy, we do not have the time to go grab the appropriate link to place behind the promotion.

I can not think of a single instance where providing a coded link to an appropriate landing page with EVERY promotion, coupon or sale would be detrimental.

I know we leave off lots of merchant promotions that would make it on to our sites if those links were provided in easy to copy and paste formats.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    I can not think of a single instance where providing a coded link to an appropriate landing page with EVERY promotion, coupon or sale would be detrimental.
    Howard, you're right on the money!!

Merchant's Best Practices forum could really use this thread.

Geno

no links attached
    i will forget that promotion

I totally agree! I've updated the title and moved it to the Merchant Best Practices forum.

Another useful tip: If you included banners in your newsletter, make them clickable (with the affiliate's link), too. That way we can easily click through or right click and grab the link. About half of the merchants I've seen do this, but the other half don't (and a few just use direct links rather than affiliate links).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Another useful tip: If you included banners in your newsletter, make them clickable (with the affiliate's link), too. That way we can easily click through or right click and grab the link. About half of the merchants I've seen do this, but the other half don't (and a few just use direct links rather than affiliate links).
    That's great advice. I've never thought of making the banners clickable as well with affiliate links. Will do that moving forward. Thanks Michael!

It's really a huge help when the links are included in the email. I'll add that sometimes when we have to go to the interface to find the link, it's so buried in the pile that we give up before we find it. That not only eliminates that specific promotion, but the next time we consider heading for the interface to find a link, we might not even go because we remember how we wasted our time looking before.

There's another thing that my coupon person reminded me of this morning. Please hint at how long the banner, link, coupon, promotion, whatever is valid for. We continually get emails stating that NEW creative is ready and the OLD must be replaced. We know that. But could you give us a hint when you send it the first time?

I know that some affiliate managers change the creative under pressure and they don't want to put a date on it because they routinely miss their own self-imposed deadlines. But even if you gave us a hint "I'm working on new ideas for Valentines Day - watch for it" we would be able to move along and trust that you'll send new when you get it.

We like to be current. We like to promote what the store is featuring. But we don't like last minute pressure and deadlines either. Give us some help in delivering the marketing message. We are aware that printed materials have to be at the printer weeks in advance. It's not too much to ask that we know what's going on a week ahead of time.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I have another suggestion that would be extremely helpful especially this time of year.

If you are sending out a newsletter that will contain new offers along with existing offers please identify which are new and which have already been announced.

If I know the deal is new and you have provided a good link the odds are your deal will be added immediately.

I get extremely annoyed though if I have to check to see if you present your offer as new and then, after adding it, find that its a duplicate of an offer made previously and its already been posted on our sites.

Finally, I would suggest instead of extending existing offers you just create a new offer. The terms can be the same. It is easier for us from a database management perspective to add a new deal rather than locate an old one and modify that data.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I got one just the other day that had one line, something like:

We have really great CyberMonday special - 15% off everything in the store. Log into Linkshare and find the links

Er... Linkshare wasn't responding the other day... and merchant's lazy email was deleted instead

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread